4WD Club or not

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 06, 2003 at 22:40
ThreadID: 3255 Views:1564 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
What recommendations would you give for joining a 4WD Club.
Currently live in the Lake Macquarie area of NSW
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster - Thursday, Feb 06, 2003 at 22:47

Thursday, Feb 06, 2003 at 22:47
Have a look here
CLUBS INDEX

find any close to you and do the footwork... Everyone is different, I like my club here in Melbourne, but others dont...

Lots of clubs are full of dribble and politics...

Depends what your into as well touring, or hard core etc.

Good luck.

AnswerID: 12632

Reply By: Colin - Thursday, Feb 06, 2003 at 23:23

Thursday, Feb 06, 2003 at 23:23
I agree with what Truckster has to to say. One that is close to home is always a good thing. If the club lets you go on a trip, and visit their meeting do both before joining. You get an insight whether you will get on with the members, and some idea of the politics at a meeting.That is how I made my choice. I found a club that met most of my needs and couldn't be happier.

Some guys say that they don't bother with clubs as they would rather do their own thing, and that is fair enough as well. I personally like the security that being on a well run club trip gives. You know that a recce was done recently, and that those reponsible for leading the day have had training and guidance from experienced hands. You also get a the benefit of a broader range of peoples experiences (rather like this forum).

Good luck and enjoy yor 4WD

Col
AnswerID: 12639

Reply By: Bernie - Friday, Feb 07, 2003 at 01:04

Friday, Feb 07, 2003 at 01:04
I agree with Truckster & Colin
I went to 3 meetings before joining 14months ago
u will meet some great people ,vehicle specific club is good and most helpfull but not necessary

cheers
AnswerID: 12640

Reply By: Time - Friday, Feb 07, 2003 at 08:22

Friday, Feb 07, 2003 at 08:22
Agree with all above.

Joining a local club was the best move I made in 4 wd. Not only do you meet a whole group of like minded people, but you will gain lots of other benefits. In the past year I have visited areas in the district on club trips that I didn't know existed (I have lived here 50 years), have gained invaluable training and experince in 4WD techniques that no amount of classes could match, have been able to obtain BIG discounts through the club on all sorts of 4WD gear, camping gear etc and learned more about my vehicle and its maintainence needs than any mechanic is willing to pass on. I live in the ACT, and as mentioned above Clubs are different. I took the time to find out about the politics, size and driving force behind the various local clubs. (You'll be suprised how much you can find out after talking to a committe member who has a few beers on board!)

The club I ended up joining is made up of people from all walks of life who have two things in common they love 4WDing and hate politics!

Go and do it you wont be disappointed.

AnswerID: 12644

Follow Up By: Truckster - Friday, Feb 07, 2003 at 10:40

Friday, Feb 07, 2003 at 10:40
Time points out a good thing

You may hve lived there all yoru life, but others will always show you more tracks you never knew were there!!!

Give it a chance anyway, the driver training will always help even if you dont like the club..

Good luck.

PS In SYdney I HIGHLY recommend the Patrol club. VERY VERY Family orientated and friendly with fantastic driver training.
FollowupID: 7395

Follow Up By: Member - Paul - Saturday, Feb 08, 2003 at 10:16

Saturday, Feb 08, 2003 at 10:16
Truckster,

Looked at the link you provided above for 4WD clubs, looked for the Patrol Club you highly recommend, I must be blind, can you pass on the details ?

Thanks

Paul
FollowupID: 7414

Reply By: Bruce Henderson - Friday, Feb 07, 2003 at 15:15

Friday, Feb 07, 2003 at 15:15
i agree with most of what has been said only differance of opinoin i have is dont be afraid of traviling some distance, clubs are like people they have personalities so if you need tyo travel to find a club that suits you do so it can be well worth it,i have been in a club coming up on 20 years & have loved aevery year of it
Regrads Bruce
AnswerID: 12663

Reply By: chopper - Friday, Feb 07, 2003 at 18:51

Friday, Feb 07, 2003 at 18:51
once again i agree with the above.

Don't hand over a dollar until you've had a chance to join a trip as a visitor.

Our club encourages potential members to sign in as a visitor a couple of times before handing over the princely sum of $25 per family/year to join.

chopper
AnswerID: 12672

Reply By: Phil G - Saturday, Feb 08, 2003 at 21:28

Saturday, Feb 08, 2003 at 21:28
You have to join a club for the right reasons. Basically to do trips, meet people from all walks of life with a common interest, learn about 4wding and caring for our environment.

We get a little annoyed with people to join the club, do the comprehensive training and then are never seen again.
AnswerID: 12713

Reply By: Member - Willem- Saturday, Feb 08, 2003 at 22:39

Saturday, Feb 08, 2003 at 22:39
I spent 11 years of my 4x4 life in clubs. From Editor of the Mag to President and all offices down from there. During my first year of club life we went on 25 weekend trips from easy 4x4 to grade 5 stuff. The social company was good and I learned a lot of 4x4-ing from the clubs. The downside of the Clubs and the State 4x4 Association was the politics. After busting my arse to do everything possible I could do for the clubs I was in, I got kicked in the same place. Maybe it was my personality. Maybe I was too direct. Maybe it was time to go. That was back in 1988. Since then and now, we travel alone on trips into the outback and enjoy the freedom. For the simple pleasure of learning things about 4x4-ing and social activity(although it can be childish at times) then DO join a club. It can be fun. But if you are a loner with your own ideas then maybe you should give it a miss. Cheers, W
AnswerID: 12717

Sponsored Links