Get ya maps out...

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 21:25
ThreadID: 32871 Views:2434 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
Doing more planing of our trip and plans have changed - going to do 6 weeks from Nowra to Alice and to Surfers then down to home again in Aug. ( we were going to go up to the top but have decided to do this when we do the cape trip in 2 yrs or so...)

but I need help!!! IM SERIOUS - GET THE MAPS OUT!!!

Ive figured we'll do the Plenty Hwy to Boulia from Alice but would love to head south to Cameron Corner....

so do we go down the Diamantina Dev. Road to Bedourie but whats the best way from here???by the looks of the map we go east at Cluny and go through Monkira and Currawilla but where after this if we did this track???.....

would we go down through Nullah outstation and through Arrabury, Orientos and Santos then eventually west for a bit till we get to cameron corner?????

then our next biggest thing is that we want to go to St. George and try and follow the QLD/NSW border to Gold coast to go visit family.........

Also another one for you while you have the maps out.....

can we do that Arkaroola loop and still do Oodnadatta???? I cannt seem to find it on the map and all I know is that its in the Flinders somewhere - am i right??!!LOL!!

Also what about doing the Gunbarrel over to Ayres rock from I think its Finke? then doing Chambers Pillar while around Alice even though its a bit of a hike....

Got any ideas - please help!!!!

Laura B

p.s Is end of Aug to late for this?????we are leaving Nowra last week of Aug and dont want to push things......
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 21:35

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 21:35
Laura - you can come down the raod from Boulia to Bedourie and you can turn left at Cluny Station and head to Betoota and down to Innamincka (via Arrabury) - BUT, and a big but - there is no fuel available from Bedourie until you get to Innamincka, so start adding up and make sure you have LOTS of fuel to do that.
From Innamincka you can go to Arkaroola - but you need to re-think Oodnadatta and maybe do that on you way up to Alice. I think you need to sit down quietly and work it out for yourself really.
AnswerID: 166941

Follow Up By: Laura B - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 21:49

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 21:49
how many Km with no fuel do you think it is????...we got an 80 on petrol/lpg land can get 700 safely on hwy speed loaded without 4wding.......so we would say 600km for this part of the trip....with plenty left over.....

we were going to do Ood on the way up anyway but Arkaroola has only just popped into my head so not sure where it is.......

Thanks Ruth I might even try to figure out to come and see ya.....

Laura B
FollowupID: 421947

Follow Up By: Laura B - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 19:17

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 19:17
we're coming Ruth...but not till sept...gonna get meself to see ya's out there!!

Laura
FollowupID: 422056

Follow Up By: Laura B - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 19:29

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 19:29
anyone got LPG out your way???

Laura
FollowupID: 422058

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 22:05

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 22:05
Methinks you are a tad confused lassie....lol

Go and buy yourself a Hema Road Atlas and sit down and work things out carefully.

Vehicles running on gas in the outback could be a problem especially in remote areas. I would stick to the main routes to be sure to obtain fuel supplies.

You may encounter some warm weather in September.

I suggest you try and do a loop on your travels and not out at angles as it will not be economical.

Cheers
AnswerID: 166945

Follow Up By: Laura B - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 22:12

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 22:12
thats what im thinking too hey....the lost and and the angles....must be my tired brain trying to work after s long week!!LOL

Got Ron Moons 4wd map book in front of me and all that planning ive done over 5 months has been blown out the window!!

maybe i should just can the Arkaroola bit!!LOL - excuse for another holiday!!nice!

i know i cannt rely on the gas but im not planning on going to out there!! so i could be ok....

the warm weather is ok - its just the rain im worried about!!

so the plan is:

Ood track
Old Andado
Mereenie loop
plenty hwy
then somehow to cameron corner........

thanks mate....

when and where you goin bush???

Laura B
FollowupID: 421952

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 04:32

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 04:32
Hi Laura

Why dont you go Broken Hill, Peterborough(drop in for a cuppa, we may be home), then Hawker, Wilpena, Parachilna, Leigh Creek, Maree, Lake Eyre via Muloorina, William Creek, Oodnadatta, Dalhousie, Mt Dare, Old Andado, Alice Springs. Do some touring around Alice for a week or so(lots to do) and then Plenty Hwy to Boulia, Bedourie, Birdsville, Walkers Crossing, Innamincka( a diversion to Coongie and Callyamurra and The Dig Tree), Bore Track, Cameron Corner, Tibooburra, White Cliffs, Wanaaring, Bourke, Nyngan, Dubbo, Home.

I am eaving home on Saturday 22nd for Central Australia and then the Simpson Desert. Will be away 3 to 4 weeks.

Cheers
FollowupID: 421967

Follow Up By: Laura B - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 07:26

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 07:26
ok.......will sort that way out and see how we go from there.....thanks heaps....im awake and fresh as a daisy - kinda - and will do some more map reading today and track lookin'.

whats that bore track like? and walkers crossing?

L'B
FollowupID: 421981

Follow Up By: Laura B - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 19:27

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 19:27
Ok Willem,

Figured out our trekin' so far.....

Broken hill
Peterborough and for a cuppa if ya home....
Hawker
Wilpena
Parachilna via Blinman????
Leigh Creek
Marree - is it better to go to Lake Eyre from here or wait until Wiliam Creek???
William Creek
Ood
Dalhousie
Mt Dare
Finke - not Old Andado
Chambers Pillar
Alice
W' McD Ranges
back to Alice and head East
go to:
Emily & jessie Gaps
Trephina Gorge
Arltunga His. res.
Ruby Gap
Glen Annie Gorge

now from here have you done the treck through Claraville,The Garden,Pinnacles Bore and head Nth to join to Plenty highway???? I thought this might be better then doing E' McD and back tracking to Laice again and then heading up to join Plenty hwy.....

I have figured it out from Boulia to Birdsville - thats easy - but just working out how the Walkers crossing bit.....thats off Strezleki Track isnt it??

My biggest task now is to find who has gas or not.....good fun!!!

Laura
FollowupID: 422057

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 19:47

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 19:47
Sounds pretty good Laura.

Its not a bad run to Lake Eyre from Maree and theres a nice camp along the way.

Yep from Arltunga go via Cattlewater Pass(same route as you have mentioned) to Plenty Hwy.

Carry some extra jerries of petrol with you for thoise long stretches where the gas is scarce.

There is a website which highlights all the LPG stations in Oz. Google it!!

Enjoy the planning.

Someone mentioned Cordillo Downs....well....VERY corrugated. Walkers X-ing much better choice. Walkers off Birdsville Track. 'Bout 120km south of Birdsville.

Bore Track easy run if you can follow your nose as signs have been depleted

Cheers
FollowupID: 422067

Reply By: Member - John - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 22:06

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 22:06
Laura, Arkaroola is in the Northern Flinders Rangers, should be on your maps some where, if you can't find it, give me a yell. Good luck with your planning.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 166946

Reply By: JJ - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 07:51

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 07:51
At a quick glance of the map, from the Plenty Highway, I would go straight down to Birdsville from Boulia, then east (115kms across the B'ville Dev. Road) to Cordillo Downs Road junction and head south down the CDR the via Innaminacka. Then to Moomba or The Old Strezelrcki Track etc. & finally Cameron's Corner.
Of course, having never been there, I know nothing on road conditions. permits, supplies etc, but would not venture out in a single vehicle... if one gets 'lost' on a map!!!
However, from here it looks pretty straight forward to St George and Goondiwindi, Warwick. To Mt Lindsay H'way, up to Beaudesert, Tamborine etc.
But I don't get where you are starting from with mention of The Gunbarrel, yet '...leaving Nowra last week of Aug...'.
It all looks easy on paper...
AnswerID: 166977

Reply By: David from David and Justine Olsen's 4WD Tag-Along - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 19:03

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 19:03
Laura,

You really need to do have a really good handle on where u want to go and then locate them all on the map. You really need to very familiar with the locaions and where they are on the map. Then...

1. work out total distance vs time available. Will you be driving for more than 3 or 4 hours every day to do it. If so maybe rethink. I know you can drive for longer than that, but if you do that for weeks on end your holiday will be a pain.

2. break the trip up manageable daily sections and work out the daily distances travelled, time taken which depends on terrain and average driving speed of quite a bit less than 80 kph depending on roads. 80 kph is a good rule of thumb for the time you spend driving, but remember you have to look at the scenery, stop to fuel up and eat etc etc etc.

3. work out where your fuel stops are, and be sure you can safely make it to them and remember that fuel consumption depends on terrain, so you need to know typical fuel consumption figures. In remote terrain you should really have a reserve of fuel for each leg ie more than you require by about 25% if possible.

4. Break the trip into legs of several days with a major town if possible at each leg end. Allow an extra day at these if possible.

If you go from Nowra to Innaminka (not sure which roads becasue I haven't looked yet, then you can go down the Bore track or Stzelecki to Mt Hopless then.

I haven't looked at your available time so this doesn't take that into account, but...
From Mt Hopless you can go south to Arkaroola. Arkaroola is definitely a great place, then from Arkaroola you can go to Copley, Leigh Ck (take a break here) -Lyndhurst, Maree up the Oodnadatta track to Marla, from Marla to Alice on the Stuart (visit Uluru if you want), take a day at Alice, go from Alice to Boulia then down to Bedourie Betoota and on to Ruthsville ahhem Birdsville.

Dave O
AnswerID: 167043

Sponsored Links