wild meat available around Aust. Cryovac/vacuum packed meat shelf life.

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 19:14
ThreadID: 32936 Views:9788 Replies:26 FollowUps:93
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks

Just found this wonderful website. Our family of 5 with 3 boys and a dog are about to embark on a 5 month trip around Aust in a caravan and 4WD. My 13 year old son has a serious medical condition and is on a special diet. We need to find wild or organic unvaccinated, grass-fed meats daily. We cannot use the meats conventionally found in supermarkets or butchers as it has to be pure. Even organic meat in Coles is usually vaccinated and so we can't use this.

Does anyone know anywhere where we could be able to find wild boar, kangaroo, and beef that fills these requirements?

We will be travalling (from mid May through to mid October) from Sydney to Cairns and then possibly to Kakadu and Uluru, etc.

We can't afford to buy a freezer and the solar panels we would also need (as we intend to spend as much time in the bush as possible). I am worried we won't be able to get these types of meats easily and cannot break his diet even for one day. Don't want to spend 5 months wondering where the next meal will come from.

Thought it may be possible to buy a vacuum food saver so that when I do find the meats he can eat I can buy a bulk amount and extract the air and it will keep for several weeks. As I can't buy conventional meat I can't get it cryovaced by the butcher.

Anyone else have a vacuum food saver? If so, what brand and how long have you found the meat has lasted in the fridge? I assume it wouldn't last as long as cryovaced meat from a butcher but hopefully would last up to 5 weeks (long enough for me to find the next source along the road.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Anne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: porl - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 19:36

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 19:36
Gee, that sounds really tough, i guess i have to ask, does he have to eat meat ? I don't know what condition he has and i am not a doctor but amongst people i know there are varieties of people that can't eat processed foods so they tend to go vegetarian or vegan and there are heaps of options for those sorts of foods. Is it the enzymes he needs from the meat in combination with the folate from grass feeding animals ? Sorry if this is not helpful and i hope someone else can reply. I know lots of vegetarians and vegans (not me, hmm meat) and they appear to live full and happy lives.

I know of a company (but not the name) in tassie that harvests wild possums, got on 60 minutes a couple years ago for being mean (though they can be mean as they want to all the possums in my yard, have killed my mango tree, eat my chilli bushes to the ground, all my lychees, my custard apples and are trying to defoliate my kaffir lime tree - why did they make BB guns that can't be repaired !!!!).

As far as fridge and power consumption goes, you could look into a small Engel like the 15L unit (maybe a sponsorship deal ?) and have it on full bore as a small freezer and you might not have any power problems if you stay in cool places and start the engine every day. Though the vacu seal would probably be the cheapest. Do a search on this site there's quite a few articles.

If you're in a caravan i expect you'll be at powered sites, the small fridge is worth looking into, i mean, you have to don't you.
AnswerID: 167257

Follow Up By: aajlh - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 19:56

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 19:56
Hi

Yes he does have to have meat. He actually was vegan for the first 12 years of his life but developed epilepsy recently and has up to 100 seizures a day. He is on a ketogenic diet to try to lessen his seizures and this means he needs an extremely low level of carbohydrates (10g per day) and has to eat lots of fatty meats. I am rendering pure beef fat into tallow to take a source of fat but need to find the meat enroute as I obviously cannot take 5 months supply of meat with me.

A 240 volt fridge/freezer wouldn't work as we will be in bush sites most of the time and I gather the 3way fridges don't freeze too well. Using solar panals with a large engle or waeco would be perfect but would cost $thousands. Hence, my hope that vacuum packing ant meat I do find will keep it long enough to find the next source.

Cheers

Anne
FollowupID: 422368

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 21:39

Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 21:39
Who is it that suggested a Ketogenic diet?

I have been a Registered Nurse for 20 years and have NEVER heard of that as a tratment for epilesy of any kind. Is the epilepsy the primary condition, or is there another illness that is causing the epilepsy?

If you have taken advice from anyone other than a trained medical practitioner I would be deeply concerned that you may in fact be doing more harm than good to your child, as with every seizure, the potential exist for a deterioration in brain function, not to mention personal injury. Epliepsy as a primary condition is generally able to be well controlled with medications, although it may take some time to hit the "sweet spot" with the medication. This can be complicted by the process of a child growing and the differing need as the child grows. Depending on the location of the foci of the seizures there has also been excellent results with "minimally invasive" surgery (specifically cryo treatment, similar to freezing warts off your skin, but done in very small areas of scarred brain tissue).

I respect your right to privacy should you not wish to answer.

Gary Campbell RN
FollowupID: 423706

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 21:55

Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 21:55
Ignore the above post, have just scrolled dowwwwwwwn and seen you post re abscence seizures. Had a friend who used to have them, similar to your son (blank for 5-10 sec then "wha-wha-wha-where-am-I-what-was-I-doing" period of about 3-4 secs. Pretty benign form of epilepsy. Make as much allowance as you can for the food (Coles seils 'roo meat too) and enjoy your holiday, you obviously have everything in hand are are more up to date than I am about the most recent medical management of his condition.

Cheers and happy travelling
FollowupID: 423710

Follow Up By: aajlh - Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 23:25

Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 23:25
Hi Gary

Thanks for the second post. Not many people are able to both retract something and do it so graciously.

When my son was diagnosed most of the advice we received and research we did ourselves indicated that absence epilepsy is benign although our neurologist said that they simply didn't know. I have read two articles recently suggesting that even absences can cause brain damage both at the time and also prevent future neurogenisis. I don't want to fill this forum with medical issues but just wanted to state that that is why we feel keeping to his diet is so important during the trip.

Cheers

Anne
FollowupID: 423862

Reply By: Bilbo - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 20:14

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 20:14
Buy a rifle - a 22 Hornet will drop a roo at 150 metres, an easy shot. If you're from Queensland - get an Armailte ;)

All the fresh meat ya need is on the hoof out there and it's all "organic".

Emu, roo, camel - all great eating. No fat, feeds on "green stuff".

But most folks are squeamish about it. But you do get over shooting "Skippy".

Bilbo
AnswerID: 167265

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 20:27

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 20:27
Head shot on a roo at 150m with a .22 - I don't think so Bilbo - at least not often??? :)

Mike Harding

PS. Anyway: aren't you supposed to have some sort of licence to shoot skippy?
FollowupID: 422375

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 20:59

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 20:59
Mike,

A .22 Hornet has a faster muzzle velocity than a normal .22 or even a .22 Magnum. It's a "hard" shot when it hits.

150 metres is an easy shot with a telescopic site. I do it often for my indigeneous mates.

How about a head shot on a goanna at 50 metres? I've done that more than once.

Licence? Out there? You're kidding.

Bilbo

PS - my magazine went missing in the back of the stolen "Cruiser as well. Bugger -$180.00 fer a new one! I only paid $350.00 for the whole rifle!
FollowupID: 422381

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 22:29

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 22:29
From memory a 22 hornet is actually a centrefire catridge so the only semblance between the 22 you are thinking of mike and the hornet is the projectile size.
The Hornet can hold around 12 grains of powder propelling the projectile over 1000mps over 3 times as fast as the rimfire ammo I use in my pistols. I dont know my ballistics but hitting power is a function of velocity combined with bullet weight (around 45 grains for a 22 hornet)
As for liscenses to shoot roos - Baa pastoralists breed them and goats with impunity often not allowing shooting exarcorbating the problem. If you ever head right out bush deep int VCL things you will notice are 1) no goats. 2) few roos 3) galahs are rare 4) crows are rarer
Its only illegal if you get caught
FollowupID: 422397

Follow Up By: aajlh - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 22:39

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 22:39
Hi Bilbo

Yes, that would be an answer. I grew up in a shooting/spotlighting family and could certainly survive in the bush in an emergency. Having been vegans, however, my children have found eating meat at all a difficult adjustment so killing animals ourselves would be too distressing for them. Perhaps I need to bump into a few people like youself on our trip who will do it for us.

Cheers

Anne
FollowupID: 422399

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 23:04

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 23:04
Davoe,

A .22 Hornet is indeed a centre fire cartridge. Whilst the projectile is the same calibre, the bullet is heavier as it's longer. The cartridge is also larger, hence more powder.

All in all, a bigger punch than a normal .22. And its shows when you fire it as well. There's hardly any kick from a normal .22. This one kicks.

Bilbo
FollowupID: 422411

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 06:57

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 06:57
Ah... it's a .223 centrefire round, interesting.

www.reloadbench.com/cartridges/22h.html

I've heard of them but never used one - sounds like it could be a very flexible small bore weapon - are they available in pump or lever action I wonder? It's almost time I bought a new firearm again :)

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 422436

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 07:00

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 07:00
Bilbo:

$180 for a mag!!!!

Take a look at the gunshops in the USA, especially Texas, and see if you can buy one on-line - that price is a rip-off.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 422437

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 11:31

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 11:31
Mike,

I gonna shop around. That was the first quote only. I have mates in the USA that can prolly get me one a lot cheaper.

If you do some reading on the .22 Hornet you'll see that it's a much bettter rifle than the name implies. A shot at 150 yds will drop about 2 inches under "line of sight" - I always aimed at the gap between the erect ears. If I got it right, then it was a kill shot. If I didn't, then it was a complete miss and "Skippy" got away with his ears ringing and a new parting in his hair!

I only ever shoot to help out my bush mates. They can't afford steak etc, and it's often a cultural need for 'em - funerals, sharing out food etc. I did say that you do get used to it, but I still have a moments remorse when I shoot 'em. But, if you get a good clean shot, it's no different to slaughtered meat, cows, sheep, pigs etc.

Feral cats are my speciality - I hate 'em.

Bilbo
FollowupID: 422465

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 17:36

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 17:36
As many feral cats as you can mate go for it
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 422511

Follow Up By: ev700 - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 17:51

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 17:51
Mike
The .223 Remington will shoot flat out to 200m. Not choosey about loads for good accuracy. It is made by all manufacturers and the Remington 700 bolt action rifle is about the pick of them.
EV700
FollowupID: 422516

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 19:27

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 19:27
I think I need a .22 Hornet for my outback travels.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 422544

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 19:55

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 19:55
Bilbo said:
>I did say that you do get used to it, but I still have a moments remorse
>when I shoot 'em.

Like you I have never been able to find any pleasure in killing animals but, sometimes, we need to do it, be it for pest control, to redress the natural balance (feral cats) or simply (as we have done since the dawn of time) for food. I'll do it when necessary but I'll never enjoy it.

>But, if you get a good clean shot, it's no different to slaughtered meat, cows,
>sheep, pigs etc.

Now this is something which winds me up with the PC Greenie brigade when they bemoan the cruelty of hunters - at least a hunter has the honesty to hunt and kill his quarry directly whilst the vast majority of we modern folk pay Safeway to do it for us so we can pretend out kilo of sausages was "not really killing"! Grrrrhhhhh :)

And far better the roo or deer which has lived it's life as nature intended; free in the bush or on the veld before being taken by man or lion etc than the poor bloody chicken in a battery cage so small the poor bastard cannot turn around - cheap eggs anyone? Pay a bit more and buy the barn laid or RSPCA ones - please?

ev700 said:
>The .223 Remington will shoot flat out to 200m. Not choosey about loads
>for good accuracy. It is made by all manufacturers and the Remington
>700 bolt action rifle is about the pick of them.

Sounds good to me - think I'll go shopping for a .223 this week - I could do with another centrefire weapon on my licence anyway :) Can never have too many guns say I (suppose the Chinese invaded?! :)

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 422563

Follow Up By: Hairy - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 22:20

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 22:20
Yeh all above, 22 hornets are great, but whats a vegan?
FollowupID: 422640

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 23:07

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 23:07
Mike,

Check out the 204 Ruger first. Just shades the 223 in all areas.

Regards
FollowupID: 422654

Follow Up By: aajlh - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 07:50

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 07:50
Hi Hairy

A vegan is someone who is a strict vegetarian. That means they eat no animal products at all, ie, no meat, fish, dairy, honey, etc. Often if they are vegan for ethical reasons (rather than personal health reasons) they will also not use any animal products such as leather, wool, etc.

Anne
FollowupID: 422674

Follow Up By: Joe King - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 21:58

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 21:58
Mike,
I've found the .243 win to be a great all round calibre, have a look at one of those.
I have owned a BRNO .222 (Old faithful) for years, I love it, used it for many years shooting Roo's, but the .243 has an edge over the .222
my Model 70 .243 goes eveywhere with me, It'll take small game & larger game up to Chital deer.
a couple of months ago, an article in Australian Sporting Shooter called it "The perfect Australian Calibre".
the thing I like so much about the .243 is that they are such a popular & proven cartridge, you can buy the ammo in the smallest towns.
if I was travelling around Oz, I'd have both my .243 & My .22 LR with a good selection of hollow points & solids...
& Bilbo, "Feral cats are my speciality - I hate 'em."
count me in :)
FollowupID: 422882

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 22:06

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 22:06
hehehehehe count me in too
FollowupID: 422886

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 06:45

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 06:45
Thanks Joe - sounds like I've been missing out on a very flexible caliber. Time to start some phoning around the dealers.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 422927

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 07:10

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 07:10
Got a mate i used to go out with a bit. The old 243 he had was VERY good on goats and roos but too big for rabbits - that is if you still want to eat them
FollowupID: 422934

Reply By: Geoff M (Newcastle, NSW) - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 20:20

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 20:20
Hi Anne,
I don't have a really good answer for your dilemma.
Only thing I can suggest is your son isn't the only person in Australia with his complication.
How does my idea help? Well, create a national support society for what your son has and hey presto, instant knowledge on how to feed him anywhere in the country.

Hope this helps,
Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 167266

Follow Up By: aajlh - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 22:41

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 22:41
Hi Geoff

Thanks!

Anne
FollowupID: 422400

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 21:17

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 21:17
Ive gotta bite here. What serios medical condition requires wild or "organic" grass fed meats daily? The last ime we had someone come in the shop with special meat diet was a pretty young girl who had been prescribed ox tongue by her natrapath coz in her words - she had no pubic hair (true story)
There is a darn good reason beasts get vaccinated - it is the same reason we cop all manor of vaccinations, it keeps us healthier which is why our life expectancy is now around 75 years rather than 45 years.
Also wild caught meat can be full of nasties - sure most cook out but one look at a kangaroo gut wriggling as one giant worm as it is jam packed with wrigglers will have you wondering.
As for getting grass fed meat how would you know what Wild boar have been eating. There is just as much chance it has dug up the hole you left from your "morning walk" and been snacking on poo and toilet paper as grass
AnswerID: 167279

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 21:32

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 21:32
Ok I googled Ketogenic diet and now understand that part although there was plenty of info none seemed to refer to the meat having to be vaccine free or grass fed. If your concern is for blood glucose levels introducing unwanted carbohydrates 2 ways to avoid that is chase the animal round and round before killing it which will dplete the blood of glucose (this causes its own problems with quality of meat)
another is to make sure the meat is wewll hung which will allow the blood sugars to anaerobically convert to lactic acid
FollowupID: 422386

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 21:46

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 21:46
Davoe,

Yeah - I've seen the worms too!!

The best meat I have ever tasted came from the fillet of a roo that was holding a heap of fat in it's tail. That stuff tasted like the very best fillet steak you could wish for.

I always hang it for at least a day after butchering it - I don't do that bit as my "dark" mates reckon I'd do better with a gas axe than a knife. I'm hopeless at butchering. I let them do it.

Bilbo
FollowupID: 422389

Follow Up By: aajlh - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 22:59

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 22:59
Hi Davoe

You are right that the ketogenic diet for epilepsy doesn't specify grass fed or unvaccinated meats. The diet requires large amounts of fat, usually in the form of cream and other dairy products. My son doesn't eat dairy and eats nuts/seeds and fatty meats for the fat requirements. The grass fed, unvaccinated, organic are not part of the diet requirements but our own attempt to feed him the healthiest food possible to help him. There is recent evidence, for example, to suggest that epilepsy can be alleviated to some extent by high amounts of certain long-chain essential fatty acids that are present in grass fed meats but not in grain fed meats.

As to the worm infested kangaroo, believe it or not , I would rather take my chances with the worms than with vaccinated meat. The poo snacking wild boar doesn't sound to appetizing I'll admit. Hopefully this would be a rare occurrence and, frankly, I would still prefer this to chemically farmed meats.

Cheers

Anne
FollowupID: 422408

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 00:10

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 00:10
Anne, having just read about research in Europe into grass fed dairy against silage and grain fed dairy. You may say Australian / NZ dairy against much of the rest of the world. The comparison shows the long chain fatty acids (CLA) come from the grass feeding. I can give you a reference for the paper. 'Influence of pasture feeding ans stall feeding on CLA and other fatty acids in bovine milkfat', Floris R., Dekker R., Slangen C., and Ellen G. NZIO food research, The Netherlands

I am no advocate for organic, indeed quite to opposite. I have been party to discussions in Europe where there is much accreditation toward organic product. We were told that as little as 10% of advertised organic is truly organic. Indeed I know certified farmers who use the same animal remidies as the rest of the industry. We all have to respect withold times in Australia or pay recovery costs of the works. In dairy it is the same too

I think also that you will find that the animals you will find available in the bush will have extremely low levels of fat. Indeed most find that a reason to boast the useage of it.

There are a number of areas I think you are perhaps assuming too much bad about Australian agriculture and agribusiness but it has been a lifetime study for me. Anne, none of that wishes you any lack of success in the diet for your son. I have read a little since you posted here but I have a long way to go to understand all the wonderous interactions of the body.
FollowupID: 422427

Follow Up By: aajlh - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 00:23

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 00:23
Hi John

Yes the CLAs in grass fed meat are receiving lots of positive attention lately. I see them as an added bonus but my desire for grass fed is really for EPA and DHA and their beneficial effects on epilepsy. Thanks for the reference.

I too am wary of claims for organic and know that an organic label is no guarantee. Some things that are allowed for organic certification I am not willing to eat. That is why I always talk to individual farmers before buying their products. Easier in Sydney where I have a phone and established suppliers than on the road. I don't really want the trip to turn into a 'farm crawl'.

Cheers

Anne
FollowupID: 422429

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 14:55

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 14:55
Anne, I don't know if you would find the paper on the net but it is reprinted in "The Australian Journal of Dairy Technology" Vol 61, No 1 - April 2006 from p13 if you needed it read. There are plenty of references to the problem you have had identified with your son and the beneficial effects.

As for the antibodies from the vaccinations you are concerned about - I don't know how good the science there. There are plenty of dangerous natural chemicals all of of us need to be more aware of than the newer ones.

I find that the so called organic people tend to be marketers and don't always declare everything and I know some very well too. They use the same fertilizers, animal remedies and sprays I use. ;-) Good marketers though.

I hope you can find good ability to deal with your son's epilepsy.
FollowupID: 422485

Follow Up By: aajlh - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 07:43

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 07:43
Hi John

Thanks

Anne
FollowupID: 422673

Reply By: Qlddisco - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 21:28

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 21:28
Anne my wife is also an epileptic and understand the strain and hardship it places on one,s family !!! obviously with your son,s condition u are working closely with a dietician ?? After being a vegan for 12 years is it your choice that he now eats wild or organic unvaccinated meats or your dietician,s ?
Site Link
amazing to think that something as simple as a small taste of toothpaste,cookie crumbs ect... can break the diet and trigger seizures !!
the link i typed in above has some meal idea,s >> none of which seem to be of the organic meat type but maybe worth a look ! Best of luck to you and your son and hope u come up with some solutions soon !
AnswerID: 167281

Follow Up By: aajlh - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 23:16

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 23:16
Hi Qlddisco

Thanks for your understanding. It's much easier to understand when you have experienced it yourself. People find it very hard to understand how difficult both the epilepsy and the ketogenic diet is and I have made it harder by adding our own additions to the diet that make it even more restrictive. I can manage this in Sydney but travelling is another story altogether. I am determined, however, that I will make it work so we can still give him and his brothers the wonderful experiences of a trip around Australia and not let his epilepsy diet stop us. i want him to have as normal life as I can give him.

We are doing the diet ourselves rather than through the hospital. The decision to change from vegan to eating meat was a very well researched and considered one that we made ourselves.

Thanks for the link, I will check it out. It is amazing that you can lose ketosis and trigger seizures with even the carbohydrate content absobed from rubbing on suncream. Thats why the diet is so rigid and everything he eats has to be measured and calculated exactly. Fun!

Cheers

Anne
FollowupID: 422415

Reply By: pauljohnston - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 21:39

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 21:39
Hi,
When you get to Brisbane, give me a buzz. If I have any venison left in the freezer will be happy to share some with you.
PJ.
Email me for our phone number.
AnswerID: 167286

Follow Up By: aajlh - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 23:23

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 23:23
Hi PJ

Hey, thanks a lot!!! That was a nice offer.

Is it farmed or wild venison? Did you shoot it yourself? Of course, I am happy to pay. How do I find your email address on this site?

Cheers

Anne
FollowupID: 422417

Follow Up By: pauljohnston - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 09:00

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 09:00
Hi Ann.

I shoot the deer myself, they are wild, not farmed. As someone else mentioned, it is very lean meat, but good for omega 3 / 6 fatty acids, unlike beef. Venison is also 3* richer in iron than beef.

Email palabj@hotmail.com

cheers,
PJ.
FollowupID: 422443

Follow Up By: aajlh - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 07:54

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 07:54
Hi PJ

Fantastic, just what I need. I'll email you.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers

Anne
FollowupID: 422677

Follow Up By: Joe King - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 22:18

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 22:18
Anne,
if you are going up through Charters Towers on your way to Cairns, I may be able to help you out with some venison & Roo as well.
let me know if you are interested, I can freeze it & leave it at Bluewater springs for you,
JK
FollowupID: 422889

Follow Up By: aajlh - Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 23:34

Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 23:34
Hii JK

Fantastic to you too. Thanks heaps for trying to help. I'll email. Could you just let me know your email address please?

Cheers

Anne
FollowupID: 423863

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 22:02

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 22:02
Most Woolworths/Safeway outlets sell Kangaroo and goat meat. Good lean healthy meat. Not sure if it is vaccinated.

Just did a quick Google and found a website by Gamefarm name but their meat is all vaccinated.

The dea of buying a rifle isnt so silly. There are all kinds of wildlife to be had out bush including birds and if you are off the beaten track it may be handy.

The other thing is to call in at farms and ask if they have fresh meat to sell

Some ideas
AnswerID: 167291

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 22:31

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 22:31
When I was a Butcher In SA The roo meat in South Oz used to be supplied by Tansells meat from out your way
FollowupID: 422398

Follow Up By: aajlh - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 23:28

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 23:28
Hi Willem

Do you mean Woolworths/Safeway all around Australia? I have never been able to find goats meat in Sydney in spite of trying.

Cheers

Anne
FollowupID: 422419

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 23:46

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 23:46
Anne,

Check supermarkets/butchers in areas with large Middle eastern populations e.g. Auburn, Bankstown, Lakemba etc.

Regards
FollowupID: 422424

Follow Up By: aajlh - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 00:07

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 00:07
Hi Al

Thanks! Never thought of that, I will.

Cheers

Anne
FollowupID: 422426

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 08:16

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 08:16
Anne

I suppose it depends on the Woolworths you are buying from. I am not sure if their venison products are sold in every state. In South Australia you may also buy roo meat at local butchers. I am not sure of which process the meat is put through though.

You have a tough assignment here but I am sure that collectively we will be able to help you.

Cheers
FollowupID: 422440

Follow Up By: aajlh - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 07:58

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 07:58
Hi Willem

Thanks! Hopefully I will find supplies as we go and it won't be as hard as I expect.

Cheers

Anne
FollowupID: 422680

Follow Up By: aajlh - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 08:01

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 08:01
Hi Davoe

I'll check out Tansells.

It's great having all this help.

Thanks

Cheers
FollowupID: 422682

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 22:03

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 22:03
I'm staying right out of the "medical" stuff here but if you want a vacuum pack machine, a Chinese made version comes up quite cheaply on Ebay. Just search Ebay for "vacuum food saver".

We recently bought an Italian made vacuum food machine from Master Butchers in Adelaide - unfortunately we can't tell you first hand how long meat will last, as we haven't had enough experience with it yet.

We found that none of the vacuum food machines were recommending them for refrigerated meat. But we've used the butcher's cryovaced red meat for 6-8 weeks without a problem.
AnswerID: 167292

Follow Up By: aajlh - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 23:35

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 23:35
Hi Phil

Thanks! I have seen a few brands coming up frequently on ebay. I have been unsure as to whether or not they vacuum strongly enough to get all the air out and so giving longer food storage. Most people seem to use meat cryovaced by the butcher which is possibly a more powerful machine and thus more successful for longevity. That was why I was hoping someone who had used a home machine could tell me the brand they use and how successful it has been for keeping meat for several weeks. As none of the brands available for home use seem to give any recommended keeping times (presumebly protecting themselves from litigation) I am relying on personal experience of travellers.

Cheers

Anne
FollowupID: 422423

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 11:35

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 11:35
Anne,

I have two friends who use there cheaper home vacuum sealers for meat. They store red meat for a couple of weeks in their Engel fridges without problems. I gather that there are more likely to be problems with white meat.

I think you're correct about the litigation issue.

The butcher's cryovac machines cost upwards of $3,000, and its a different method, where the whole bag and contents are put into a vacuum chamber.

If you have a friendly butcher, I would guess that they may cryovac your meat for a few dollars, given the circumstances.

If you're passing thru Parachilna in SA, they might sell you some "wild meat" as it features on their menus.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 422466

Follow Up By: aajlh - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 08:04

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 08:04
Hi Phil

Thanks for the info.

Anne
FollowupID: 422683

Reply By: Qlddisco - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 22:52

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 22:52
What does your sons doctor think of you,s doing this trip ?? As u said yourself he is having up to 100 seizures a day !!! best to b at home and being monitored properly than out on the road and putting him at risk >> but each to there own
AnswerID: 167307

Follow Up By: aajlh - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 00:04

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 00:04
Hi Qlddisco

Thanks for your concern but don't worry, we are not putting our son at risk at all and other than trying to sort out his dietery requirements for the trip he will be at no more risk on the trip than at home. Other than, of course some safety issues, things like being careful about him swimming on unpatrolled beaches (which we should all do anyway). Whereas at home when he swims his father goes in the water and stays right with him and I stand on the shore to watch and I also warn the lifesavers to keep an eye on us, during the trip there may be no lifesavers so we have to take extra precautions or not swim, etc, but things like that are easily resolved. My son's paediatric neurologist isn't monitoring him anyway, we are. We have only met him once for a diagnosis. My son is unmedicated with the full understanding of the neurologist and so we don't need any medical monitoring. His 'medical treatment' is his ketogenic diet which as you probably know is a well recognised treatment for epilepsy.

We try to let him have as normal a life as possible and going on the trip is part of that.

Cheers

Anne
FollowupID: 422425

Reply By: Gramps (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 23:06

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 23:06
aajlh,

It may be worth your while to enquire with a Brisbane based company "Wild Game Resources" who specialize in the processing of wild game meat for the export market, especially kangaroo and pigs. That is where most of the game shot by pro shooters goes after the local chiller box.

At least you would know that the meat is AOK. They may even be able to help you with the cryovaccing caper.

I don't have the phone number but it should be readily available.

If you explain your situation they may be able to help you out.

Regards
AnswerID: 167309

Follow Up By: aajlh - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 00:12

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 00:12
Hi Al

Thanks again. I use 'Southern Game Meats' in Sydney who export kangaroo and goat but only sell the kangaroo domestically. I will try the company you recommended.

Cheers

Anne
FollowupID: 422428

Reply By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 23:27

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 23:27
Anne,
Having a grandson who is severely brain damaged as a result of meningitis I can fully understand your position as our grandson also has many seizures but fortunately can be controlled with some success by medication.I admire your courage to take him along on your trip as Iknow it will do him a wworld of good and don"t be suprised if the seizure activity reduces.Asfar as the diet goes taking a rifle (minimum 22 hornet) may help but if not used to hunting might find it difficult.A better option is to contact some butchers if pssible as a lot of the small outback towns have butchers that deal with "wild" meat and am sure would be willing to help.If I were travelling on your route there would be no problem as I live of the land as much as possible.Hope you can organise the vaccume packed meat as I am sure you will get a supply in Sydney and again in Cairns--good luck!
AnswerID: 167311

Follow Up By: aajlh - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 00:38

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 00:38
Hi Rambler

Thanks for your understanding. Sorry to hear about your grandson's difficulties. Perhaps he could benifit from the ketogenic diet also? I am hoping that the trip will help with the diet as all the exciting things to do and see will certainly distract him from the diets' difficulties. He probably needs to be on the diet 2 to 3 years and has only just started a month ago so hopefully the trip will make the time seem to go more quickly.

I am glad to hear that some outback butchers deal in wild meat. I was hoping that would be the case and that I might also meet some hunters on the way who could supply us.

As a child my father would take our family of 6 out to Bourke, Warren, etc for a month over Christmas and we would live almost entirely off what we caught and shot ourselves. It was a great experience for us.

Cheers

Anne
FollowupID: 422430

Reply By: kesh - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 08:03

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 08:03
Try looking at:
www.macromeats-gourmetgame.com.au
I think they would be able to help with both product and distribution.
good luck kesh
AnswerID: 167317

Follow Up By: kesh - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 12:22

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 12:22
And here is another one to try:
www.naturoo.com.au
kesh
FollowupID: 422475

Follow Up By: aajlh - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 08:29

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 08:29
Hi Kesh

Thanks!

Anne
FollowupID: 422692

Reply By: Qlddisco - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 09:52

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 09:52
Are you and your husband qualified doctors? You say that your son has up to 100 seizures a day>> you are aware that one of the long time effects is memory loss. My wife was diagnosed at the age of 28 after the birth of our third child. With proper treatment from her doctors her grand mal seizures have lessened so that she has them every four to six weeks instead of everyday. She still has the absence seizures (staring off into space for 5 to 20 secs) four to five times a week. If your not qualified don't rely on diet to fix this problem. I have dealt with epilepsy my entire life, my eldest sister was diagnosed when she was a teenager similar age to your son and now my wife as well. Let professionals do the right thing for your son instead of taking the matter into your own hands. His health is much more important than travel>> don't you think? This my opinion and I know everyone else has there own. Now ready for the ear bashing from the knockers!
P.S. Plenty of time to travel when professionals have his seizures stabilized to see this beautiful country.
AnswerID: 167330

Follow Up By: aajlh - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 08:51

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 08:51
Hi Qlddisco

Rather than try to reply to this and all the other comments that followed individually please see my reply in the link below.

Anne
FollowupID: 422699

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 11:42

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 11:42
While I know many of the responses above are very well meaning, and come from caring individuals, I don't think Anne was seeking opinions about the management of Epilepsy. Treatment of the many types of epilepsy is pretty complicated and well outside the scope of this forum.

Anne's question is about Vacuum Food Savers and getting hold of wild meat.
AnswerID: 167342

Follow Up By: Qlddisco - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 12:34

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 12:34
giving helpful imformation is right !!! and to answer about food saver ect.... would b giving her more of a go ahead to do the trip would,nt it ?? this lady has said herself her son has up to 100seizures a day!!! how many of u fellars out there would go touring around with a child that sick >> who,s so called medical needs a being controlled by his parents and not someone who is properly qualified !! i take it none of u would put your children at that risk ??? we definately bloody would,nt !!! but go ahead !!! b help full with your vacuum and food saver , wild meat ideas !!! we,ll give our opinion and say to her stop hugging bloody tree,s and think of him !!! we gave our opinion from experience and still believe in what we have said !!!
FollowupID: 422478

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 15:16

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 15:16
Qlddisco,

I know you mean well but you've had four goes at questioning the poster's decision. They've made it so let them get on with it.

Regards
FollowupID: 422488

Follow Up By: Qlddisco - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 16:39

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 16:39
i do mean well !!! and in months to come when this lady,s out with her family travelling and having to get her son to a hospital somewhere because of a severe seizure >>> there,ll be some one posting on here how ridiculous this family with a sick boy was being out in the middle of nowhere !!! Ozexplor exclusive !!!!! made here decision Yes!!! Put child,s life at risk Yes !!! I,d post a thousand bloody times if it could help this kid gramps , and if half of u had a brain you would be telling her the same thing ffs !!!! not in it to create a hornets nest , but for the safety and well being of a very sick boy !!!!
FollowupID: 422496

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 16:54

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 16:54
Qlddisco,

We all take chances with our lives and those around us every single day. Whenever we step outside the front door, or stay inside for that matter according to various statistics, we take a chance that something unfortunate could happen.

We all weigh up the risks before making any major decision and I'm sure the poster has too. You don't get far in life without taking some risks.

Yes, there are some posters on this forum who are quick to ridicule some poor unfortunate and the decisions he/she made. That's life. Everyone's an expert in hindsight.

I think you have made your point.

Regards
FollowupID: 422500

Follow Up By: Qlddisco - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 17:16

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 17:16
so true !!! the parents in this case have made the desicion to treat there own child !! and to do this trip !!! never said they should,nt do the trip >>> said get the kid to a stage where his siezures are under control b4 doing it !!! the 13 yr old boy just gets dragged along does,nt he !!!(he does,nt get the choice) >> on treatment and travel !!!
FollowupID: 422507

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 17:25

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 17:25
Qlddisco,

I think you had better re-read the poster's replies to your questions. I think they've done everything they can in this situation to help their son. We should stay out of it.

Regards
FollowupID: 422508

Follow Up By: Qlddisco - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 17:32

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 17:32
done everything they can >> explain pls ??? they went to neurologist once got a diagnosis and then took the matter in to there own hands >>> that is doing all they can ?? gramps come on !
FollowupID: 422510

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 17:40

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 17:40
Qlddisco,

They've made a decision. Undoubtedly there is a lot more to it than we know or indeed expect to know. Respect their privacy and their decision and move on.

As I said, you've made your point and I know you mean well. I don't have anything of value to add to any further discussion so I'll just drop out.

Regards
FollowupID: 422512

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 17:48

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 17:48
Qld you seem like you know this family personally otherwise you wouldnt be putting words in their mouths. They have made their decision to travel and are asking for advice about how to eat, thats what Gramps is saying. I think you've made your point.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 422514

Follow Up By: Qlddisco - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 17:54

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 17:54
putting words in their mouths ! get real !! wake up and see the light bonz !! this is from my mouth and from experience on the subject !! yes mayb i have made my point but still no one else is saying dont go until your son is well except me !! unbelievable !!!
FollowupID: 422517

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 18:39

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 18:39
I can see the light Qld, you cant see past your experiences to allow others to explore their own.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 422528

Follow Up By: Qlddisco - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 19:03

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 19:03
my past experiences are y i ask this lady and her family to wait till her sons siezures are more controlled !!! i want this family to have many travels and adventures with there 3 boys bonz not 2 !! check the bulb again buddy think it,s blown !!!
FollowupID: 422534

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 19:26

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 19:26
Thats the point Qld they are YOUR experiences not any one elses.

I lost 2 children and their best friend in a car accident last year and I do not presume to know what people in the same circumstances are going thru. All I know is what I went thru.

YOU presume to know everything that this couple are experiencing and doing. As said before you've made your point. Let them decide what they will do from there.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 422543

Follow Up By: aajlh - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 13:32

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 13:32
Hi

I am trying to post a reply and have sent it 4 times but it doesn't get through. Sending this to see if a smaller post will get through.

Cheers

Anne
FollowupID: 422753

Follow Up By: aajlh - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 13:56

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 13:56
Hi folks

Gosh, where do I start? I don't want to take up this forum discussing medical issues that are not it's purpose but I do want to reply as briefly as I can to some of the comments that have been made. I only mentioned my son's medical condition to emphasize that the information I was seeking was important. As Phil said, I was not seeking advice or a debate about epilepsy.

Firstly, I want to thank Phil, Gramps, Bonz, Porl and Taize (the latter two's comments are in the next links) for coming to my defence in asking Qlddisco to respect our decision and to not assume we are being irresponsible in relation to our son's health needs. Thank a lot everyone.

I also want to clear up that Qlddisco and I do not know each other at all and also that we are not doctors.

Qlddisco, thanks for your concern about our son's wellbeing. I understand you think that we are being reckless and putting him at risk by taking him on this trip and perhaps feel that we are putting our desire for this trip before his health needs. You are obviously trying to come to his defence and help him as far as you can. From your own experiences you know how serious epilepsy can be and the thought of a child having a serious seizure, lying unconscious in the outback a long way from an ambulance or hospital no doubt fuels your concern and anger. I too would be equally concerned if I thought a parent was putting their child at such a risk. Nothing on earth would make me put my child at such a risk and his health is primary and, of course, more important than any trip.

My son does not have tonic clonic seizures (previously referred to as grand mal seizures). He has juvenile absence seizures. As you know from your experiences with your wife absence seizures do not involve falling to the gound or a lack of oxygen or shaking. He simply loses consciousness for roughly 8 seconds whilst still standing. Because he doesn't fall (thus doesn't hurt himself) and doesn't have any loss of oxygen he never needs an ambulance or hospitalization.

After thorough research we have decided not to medicate our son with tthe usual anti-epilepsy medication because of thier known and unknown short and lon-term toxic effects. Instead we have chosen to 'treat' his epilepsy with the ketogenic diet. As you may know this is recognised as a viable medical alternative to drugs for treating epilepsy. It is receiving lots of attention lately in the scientific literature and more and more paediatric neurologists are seeing it as a sometimes remarkably successful treatment for this condition. We personally know and have spoken with others who have had complete and long-term cessation of their seizures using this diet.

As you may have experienced yourself, whilst we are not doctors, when parents (and in your case sibling and husband) have loved ones with a serious medical condition they can become very informed about the relevant subject. A dietitian at a large Sydney hospital who treats children with epilepsy with this diet told me recently that I knew more about the diet than she did and was asking me for information. I mention this not to brag but as an example to show that whilst not being a doctor I am not uninformed.

Since our son started this diet 5 weeks ago he has had markedly less seizures and I hope and expect (from others' experiences and my own research) that this will continue and, indeed, improve.

Qlddisco, thanks for trying to help. Sometimes too many people turn a blind eye when they see kids treated badly and they should speak out. Kids are so powerless and at the mercy of their parent's. Better to speak out needlessly than not at all. I hope this alleviates your concerns somewhat.

Cheers

Anne
FollowupID: 422759

Follow Up By: Member - Bware (Tweed Valley) - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 22:38

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 22:38
Hello Anne,
Your response is commendable. I have become irate at responses to posts of much less importance than yours. Yet we must remain aware that it is a public forum open to as many views as there are people. I respect your decision, have no advice for you, but wish you well and thank you for reminding people like me that life is short and we should not let anything hold us back from pursuing our dreams. I have married my soul mate, have two beautiful, healthy children but always find excuses(financial, family, work etc) for not getting out there. YOU are an inspiration to US.
Thankyou.
FollowupID: 422899

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 06:35

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 06:35
aajlh
Sorry to turn this into a treatment thread but i notice you mention not wanting to use Medication due to known Side Effects. Sorry to tell you but the diet you mention being v high in Protein and Fat has many well documented side effects also Not the least being a raising of cholesterol and obesity. In my short research afer having a bite however i did see that the diet was not advocated as a lifelong change but for around 2 years with (hopefully) lasting improvements
FollowupID: 422924

Follow Up By: aajlh - Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 23:47

Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 23:47
Hi Bware

Thanks for your nice words. Yes, it's too easy to get caught up with the things we think are so important at the time but really aren't. I'm sure not many people on their death bed regret not having cleaned the house more whereas many more regret not spending enough time with their kids, friends, etc.

Cheers and enjoy.

Anne
FollowupID: 423866

Follow Up By: aajlh - Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 00:20

Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 00:20
Hi Davoe

Thats interesting you found the ketogenic diet to be very high in protein and fat and causing cholesterol and obesity. I wonder if you found information on the Atkins diet which is very high in protein and fat although it theoretically leads to weight loss and lowered cholesterol. Atkins does (in it's initial stage) have a ketogenic effect.

The classical ketogenic diet for epilepsy, however, actually is low in calories and protein and is calculated to only give 75% of the usual protein requirement for the child. It is, as you say, very high in fat but as the body is in ketosis it burns the fat for energy (rather than carbohydrates) and so the fat does not lead to obesity because it is used up rather than stored. Thats the theory anyway. The childrens' cholesterol levels are monitered and, of course, there is the whole other debate raging at the moment regarding whether cholesterol levels are indeed not the cause of heart disease at all.

Our son is on a more recently developed version of the diet where he is not restricted and can have 100% of his protein and calorie requirements though not excessive amounts. Even so, it is difficult to obtain adequate amounts of some other nutrients so fortunately it is, as you said, usually for only 2 to 3 years.

Cheers

Anne
FollowupID: 423869

Reply By: porl - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 15:12

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 15:12
You said "hugging trees" ??? well that sort of ridiculous and offensive generalisation show's your myopic attitude to an obviously very serious situation, I reckon back off and apologise. The world doesn't revolve around you and your politics. I agree that you should stick to the question or go start you own thread on a medical site.
AnswerID: 167358

Reply By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 19:22

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 19:22
Hi Anne

I know nothing about what you have asked but My best friend owns a wholesale butcher/meat supplies in brisbane. I am sure he may be able to help you out or at least point you in the right direction.

If this of help to you please email me and I will pass on his details.

adam_craze@hotmail.com

Enjoy your travel

Kind Regards

Adam
AnswerID: 167406

Follow Up By: aajlh - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 14:13

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 14:13
Thanks crazie Adam

I'll send you an email.

Cheers

Anne
FollowupID: 422768

Reply By: Taize - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 19:32

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 19:32
Isn't it ultimately the parents decision and responsibility. We dont know all the facts about the boy's condition or how its managed. Sure, it sounds tough to manage but if the parents think its managable within limits then we should encourage them to take him out. If we want to be constructive about the trip then give thelady some suggestions about communicating with the RFDS etc.

aajlh - have you looked into hiring some solar panels and a fridge. There is a place in Sydney that hires panels for $30/week. I'm sure if you ask around or join a 4wd club then you'll be able to find someone willing to loan you a fridge for a while

kym
AnswerID: 167412

Follow Up By: aajlh - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 14:16

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 14:16
Hi Taize

Thanks for your supportive words. Also thanks for the solar/fridge suggestions.

Cheers

Anne
FollowupID: 422769

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 19:38

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 19:38
Hi Anne, from my outback experience, a fridge/freezer would be No1 on the take list, I would be saving up for one then you could take whatever you needed and top it up wherever you could.

I wouldnt venture outback without one and I don't have anywhere near the challenges you have with your young-un. Last year when we headed out we borrowed one for the trip, maybe thats an option if you can't stretch to one. Like you said, its a small price for peace of mind that you can meet those daily dietary needs without a worry.

After all the trip also needs to be bearable and enjoyable for you and the others as well. One thing I have learnt from all the trips out there is that its a long way between shops and even then you can't predict what they will have.

Maybe you could plan your itinery and then google the shops/stores etc along your route and make contact ahead of time to make sure of availability and opening/closing times.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 167414

Follow Up By: aajlh - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 14:22

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 14:22
Hi Bonz

Thanks again. Yes, a freezer is the ideal solution but we can't afford one. I am intending to ring ahead as we travel to Coles or butchers and ask them to order in kangaroo meat if possible. I am just checking out that option at the moment. Head office says they can order it but depends on individual meat managers. I will ring some country stores from home and see how ameanable to the idea they are. That's why I want to know others' experiences with a home vacuum sealing food saver to be reassured they have been able to keep their meat for a month or so this way.

Cheers

Anne
FollowupID: 422770

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 09:36

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 09:36
Hi Anne, Also I want to tell you how horrified I was at where this thread went, our friend QldDisco did take it in a distinctly different direction and for that I am sorry for you. That said, all these dont go in such a manner, as you will see there is a wealth of experience and support here, offers of friends as butchers and offers of support, so what I really mean is don't be discouraged and keep on calling by.

Regards

GWBonz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 422967

Follow Up By: aajlh - Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 00:29

Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 00:29
Hi Bonz

Thanks again for the supportive words. I'm amazed and really appreciative of the generous offers of support from people who have never met me. This is a great site and, as you say, lots of people with enormous experience to answer any travelling type question. I wonder if on our travels we will bump into any of you and remember you from your posts.

Cheers

Anne
FollowupID: 423871

Reply By: ev700 - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 20:03

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 20:03
Hi Anne

What about drying meat for some variation? Some recipes on the Net might suit.

I would suggest you stay clear of the commercial dehydration units which are fine for veggies and fruit but they do not reach a high enough temp for meat (according to US government guidelines I have read).

However you can dehydrate meat in the home oven or caravan oven. Others on site might give opinions/recipes.

I didn't notice fish and other salt water and fresh water food animals listed by anyone. These are good options if OK for your boy's diet (and your taste).

NineMSN has a caravanners group (find on Google) and many of the members are older and doubtless rely on special diets too. But even apart from that, members of that group see a lot of Australia and might be able to offer good advice. Many are presently on the road and can tell you what is available & where.

I think a strategy might be to camp longer near good sources of tucker and do day trips. That way you are not always moving which makes things more manageable. The routine will shake out in your trip from Sydney to Cairns.

Do not forget you can log onto the Net via Internet cafes and public libraries in many, many towns and search for advice/info on new locations (or keep in touch with the MSN Caravanners' group ;-)

Have fun
EV700
AnswerID: 167423

Follow Up By: aajlh - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 14:34

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 14:34
Hi ev700

Yes, I had the same idea. Recently I tried making some beef pemmican in my oven but without much success. Apart from the fact that we all kept nibbling at it as it dried and didn't have much left I think I didn't work because I didn't use only saturated beef fat but beef fat that was a mixture of different types of fats. I will try this option again.

Yes, fish is an option possibly. We only eat sardines because they are very high in the essential fatty acids I am trying to get into my son and also small fish so lower in mercury. Because of the mercury and other contaminants we don't want to eat too much fish and stay away from other types of fish. I don't know how good my chances will be of finding sardines in the outback as they are not a popular fish but will be on the lookout. (We don't eat tinned sardines because of the chemicals that leach out of the tin into the fish).

Thanks for your other good idea. It's lovely how everyone on this list are so helpful.

Cheers

Anne
FollowupID: 422772

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 22:00

Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 22:00
Mercury would only really be a problem in Melbourne/Sydney areas (bays). Ocean fishing would be more than acceptable away from cities, and go for the smaller stuff (just above legal).
FollowupID: 423711

Follow Up By: aajlh - Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 00:34

Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 00:34
Hi Gary

Yes, I avoid freshwater fish and only go for ocean and fortunately Australian waters are less contaminated than say European waters.

Cheers

Anne
FollowupID: 423873

Reply By: porl - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 15:47

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 15:47
Hi Anne

Found this as regards Brisbane.

Superior Meats at 959 Logan Road, Holland Park (07) 3397 2743 stock "game meats including venison, kangaroo and crocodile".
AnswerID: 167578

Follow Up By: quicksilver103 - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 23:49

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 23:49
Hi have been looking at your problem , am a butcher by trade in Perth .There are places you can hire an engle and penels ect . if you want some info on Cryovacin send me an e-mail and I may be able to assist
FollowupID: 422909

Follow Up By: aajlh - Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 00:37

Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 00:37
Hi Porl

Thanks for looking that up for me. I'll take their number with me.

Cheers

Anne
FollowupID: 423874

Follow Up By: aajlh - Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 00:40

Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 00:40
Hi quicksilver103

Thanks! Can you let me know your email address please?

Cheers

Anne
FollowupID: 423876

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 11:53

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 11:53
Hi Anne,

I have been inspired and touched by your courage to make your families life as enjoyable as possible. I do not have answers for the questions you pose but I do have a 39lt Engel which sits at home doing nothing for the most part of the year.
If you and your family are genuine and can be trusted (which will need to be verified by myself with a meet-n-greet) I am willing to offer a loan of this unit.
Email me at TRJC at bigpond dot com dot au
and we can go from there.

Best regards
Trevor.
AnswerID: 167771

Follow Up By: aajlh - Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 01:14

Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 01:14
Hi Trevor

WOW!!! What an incredible offer. Thanks! That was very kindly reckless of you to make such an offer to a total stranger. I don't know what to say. I really don't feel OK about accepting such an offer. Besides, our trip is for 5 months and I wouldn't want you to plan a trip on the spur of the moment and then realise you were without your fridge.

As to being genuine and trustworthy, well you wouldn't find a more honest person than me. There, now that the total stranger has written those few words on this site you will, no doubt, be completely convinced. Of course we would be very happy to meet you and let you 'suss' us out till you were satisfied. As I said though I really couldn't let you loan the fridge.

I think I just gave you very mixed messages. That's because I am in two minds. Basically thanks so very much but I don't feel right accepting but I will take your email address with me so that if further along I feel desperate and kicking myself for not accepting I can get in contact with you. Even just knowing there is that option should we get really stuck is a help in itself. Where do you come from in QLD?

This site is full of really nice people. If this is what I am experiencing even before we set out I am looking forward to meeting some nice people along the way.

Thanks for your incredible generosity Trevor.

Cheers

Anne
FollowupID: 423882

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 08:59

Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 08:59
Anne,

Just email me and I will explain my offer, which is also genuine.
I am from Brisbane.

Regards Trevor.
FollowupID: 423903

Follow Up By: Member - Pezza (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 09:50

Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 09:50
Hi Anne, your persistance and drive are obviously learned and well practiced through years of dealing with your sons' condition and is an inspiration to the rest of us.
Trevor beat me to the offer of a fridge as I have only just read this thread, so if you do decide to meet Trev on your way through here and take him up on his offer you will find, though he is a ratbag, he really is a nice guy, as is his wife and son.
Don't worry about him not having a fridge if he decides to go away while you have it, as this is the reason for me writing this, I have a 40ltr and a 21ltr engel, either of which Trev knows he can use for any period of time in the absence of his own.
I sure most of us understand your indecision in taking Trevor up on his offer, I would be the same if in your position, but sometimes, after sitting down and thinking about it, it is logical and wise to accept a helping hand.
Which ever way you go, I hope this trip is everything you expect it will be and helps your son and his brothers in a positive way.
All the best and happy travels.

Avagoodn
Pezza
FollowupID: 423909

Follow Up By: aajlh - Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 07:26

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 07:26
Hi Pezza and Trevor

Thanks so much for your offers of help and for your encouragement Pezza.

Cheers

Anne
FollowupID: 425520

Reply By: Member - Bware (Tweed Valley) - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 23:16

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 23:16
Time to get this post to the top of the list.
AnswerID: 167957

Reply By: Joe King - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 07:07

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 07:07
And Again....
AnswerID: 167982

Follow Up By: Member - Bware (Tweed Valley) - Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 10:05

Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 10:05
Thanks,
And again.
FollowupID: 423558

Reply By: Joe King - Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 14:26

Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 14:26
Up you go.......
AnswerID: 168313

Follow Up By: Member - Bware (Tweed Valley) - Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 16:03

Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 16:03
Once more before work.
FollowupID: 423642

Reply By: Joe King - Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 20:29

Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 20:29
Hey Bware, it must only go to the top when you "Post Reply",
coz with your "follow up" it didn't go to the top...
Jeez it took some finding, I went to page 3 & decided to go to the thread from the link on the reply e-mail from you, I might be just blind too.....
AnswerID: 168389

Follow Up By: aajlh - Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 01:21

Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 01:21
Hi Joe and Bware

Thanks guys.

Cheers

Anne
FollowupID: 423883

Reply By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 01:16

Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 01:16
Could one of the the mighty sponsors of this forum, Waeco, possibly make this fridge thing happen, even as a "second" from the "fridge shop"?

Anyone else care to donate an 80 watt panel or two (ABR)?

AnswerID: 168425

Follow Up By: aajlh - Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 01:24

Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 01:24
Hey Joe, Bware and Gary

Thanks guys!

Cheers

Anne
FollowupID: 423884

Sponsored Links