gibb river road

Submitted: Monday, Feb 10, 2003 at 00:49
ThreadID: 3296 Views:1790 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I have been reading information about camping along the Gibb river road and I am getting the impression that most sites are private property /pastrol properties where fees apply.
1)Are there many places where you can camp just in the bush where it is free?
2) How busy are the campsites during peak/ dry season.
3) just how rough/ corrugated/dusty is the road ( I have a 2.8L Pajero)
thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Coops - Monday, Feb 10, 2003 at 03:13

Monday, Feb 10, 2003 at 03:13
the most you'll pay is ten bucks and if you want to worm out of that then I can't help you.
Corrugations depends on before, during or after school holidays and also how severe last wet season was.
Campsites are okay other than school holidays at Derby end.
Pajero will cope fine but take 2 spares
AnswerID: 12779

Follow Up By: Tony - Monday, Feb 10, 2003 at 08:20

Monday, Feb 10, 2003 at 08:20
John there a plenty of free spots, Pentercost River, Durack River crossing, and up towards Drysdale Stn at Gibb River, some of the southern gorges.

Tony
FollowupID: 7444

Follow Up By: Coops - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 14:02

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 14:02
Most of these places come complete with litter strewn all over, especially toilet paper, but Tony is correct you can camp there.
Pentecost is LOADED with mozzies and sandflies so prepare for them. Gibb River campsite was pretty good although very messy and we stayed there last year as we ran out of time to get to Drysdale. Drysdale is a MUCH better option though as they have absolutely wonderful facilities (tyre repairs too but you will pay for that privilege).
There's a place called Fly Tree Glen near Bell Gorge but when we called in for a look last year some bastard had done an oil change and left remains there , open container and all. Fortunately I had a half filled drum from a similar exercise and we tipped the oil etc in to that. It has toilets too.
Lennard Gorge is NO camping contary to public opinion.
Ten bucks is pretty cheap but If you've got a tribe with you then I can see how it adds up. Rangers are pretty good though and will generally discount large groups. Worth it for the shower/toilet alone (keeps the missus happy)
Enjoy your trip
FollowupID: 7519

Reply By: Mick - Monday, Feb 10, 2003 at 16:47

Monday, Feb 10, 2003 at 16:47
I did a trip on the Gibb River Road in June 02 and the road varied from good to diabolical but had we been two weeks later then it would have been good right through as the graders would have done most of it,so I guess its the luck of the draw.As regards camping I found the whole Kimberly region terribly overpriced in terms of bang for your buck. it averages $10 per person per night not $10 a car as a result I now have a slide on poptop camper so I can avoid the ripoff were possible.
Regards Mick
AnswerID: 12810

Reply By: kevin - Monday, Feb 10, 2003 at 21:27

Monday, Feb 10, 2003 at 21:27
We did the trip in July - August last year and had a great trip. Yes you did have to pay a bit at a few places, but compared to the expense of going back because you didn't pay $20... well it doesn't make sense. There were some great free places such as the Gibb River itself, so you could achieve a reasonable balance. We found the Gibb River Rd. itself OK (we have an 80 series cruiser with old man emus), but the Kalumbaru Rd. was much rougher, especially just after the Drysdale River station which was extremely corrugated. We found that at 20 km per hour the car shook to bits, but it was tolerable at between 40 km - 60 km. You do need to experiment with your speed a bit, and make sure everything is well packed. By the way you have to pay more at El Questro, but dont hesitate... its worth the expense in my opinion. Have a good trip
AnswerID: 12836

Reply By: Mike - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 12:46

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 12:46
'Fraid I must disagree with ElQuestro. We were there last year, $12.50 each for an entry permit and $12.50 each to camp. The camp sites were in 2" of dust about a km from quite ordinary amenities. What made that worse was that there was a lushly grassed area, as big as a footy oval, close to the amenities, almost completely empty, but you couldn't camp there it's for buses only. The swimming hole was full of green water, but the bar had reasonably priced beer during happy hour and staff were very friendly. We saw gorges and other scenery at least as good, in many other places. If we'd realised it at the time, there is great free camping a little further on at the Pentecost river. The GRR is still one of the Great destinations, just give El Ripoff a miss. Have fun.

Happy trails, Mike.
AnswerID: 12881

Follow Up By: Coops - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 14:09

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 14:09
Much overrated but I will confess to having been there twice now. One of the gorges (Champagne Falls) was a VERY HARD 3 hour walk (our group of 25-30 year old fitness fanatics struggled getting back) and the view at the end was pitiful to say the least. We fell foul to good marketing there.
Still enjoyed EQ but there's only a handful of the private campsites that are any good (Kookaburra & PeeWee I can vouch for) and I probably wouldn't bother with that option unless staying for 4 days or more.

FollowupID: 7521

Reply By: Wayne - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 23:20

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 23:20
a) Places to camp that are free - try 1) gibb river not far from where the gibb river road mets the kalumburu road, 2) King Edward River (not far from the turn off Kalamburu rd towards Mitchell Falls, 3) Try Barnett Gorge- all reasonable places and all free

b) campsites range- depends when / where you are

c) roads - as others have said vary but we towed a trailer thru there last year and no issues (probably averaged 60km / h on most roads - some slower)
AnswerID: 12939

Sponsored Links