To Qld via Alice and Top

Submitted: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 12:11
ThreadID: 33753 Views:2044 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Planning trip GC Road, Kings Canyon, Alice, Borroloola, Lawn Hill, Karumba, Mt Isa, Matilda Hwy, Monto, Emerald, Qld coast Bowen to Hervey, Nth NSW coast, Inland thru Armidale Dubbo, Hay then back west. Have Rodeo CC and CT will be on road for 3 months, some camping exp. first major trip. Prefer staying at caravan parks, stayed at "park" at back of Paynes Find pub and experienced My Augustus ablutions,
so have experienced bottom end of market.
Someone may be able to help with a few queries.
1. From Kings Canyon best route to Alice, via Hermansberg or Glen Helen, quite happy to do a day trip from Alice to see anything missed on the way thru.
2. From Barkley Homestead to Lawn Hill, had planned thru Borroloola but heard about road via Kingfisher being impassible wondering whether best going via Camooweal. possible to see Borroloola next trip via Dawin.
3. Any good fishing charters and Island cruises for wife and me, both closer to 60 than 50.
4 Things not to miss that may not be on maps or will be worth the detour and places to avoid.

Trehob.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: essie - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 17:18

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 17:18
Hi Trehob we are leaving on 15th do similar trip but going south from qld first through broken hill and up sturt hwy to alice springs kings canyon and then on to the three ways and lawn hill via cloncurry,then on to normanton.might run in to you along the way
essie
AnswerID: 171960

Reply By: fnq triton - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 17:24

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 17:24
we went from kings canyon to alice across the top road of the 2 (glen helen i think) plenty of places to stop for a swim if it's hot. Ellery big hole is very cold when you first get in but also very refreshing. then you can do a trip without the camper trailer down the other road to hermansberg. just near hermensberg is the turn off for palm valley. good 4wd track and really good scenery, you'd never expect to see it in the middle of aust. the petrol station at H'berg only took cash when we were there so thats something you may need to keep in mind if heading that way.
AnswerID: 171961

Reply By: Hairy - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 17:47

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 17:47
The most scenic track from the Canyon to Alice is through Boggy Hole.
It goes between the Ernest Giles road and Hermanberg.

Cheers
AnswerID: 171965

Follow Up By: Trehob - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 18:43

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 18:43
Thanks,had not looked at that option, what is the condition of the road compared to the others.
FollowupID: 427510

Follow Up By: Hairy - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 19:40

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 19:40
Boggy hole is a 4wd track going through a fair bit of dry creek bed but very rarely impassable (only when the rivers are up) its really not hard going if you have any 4wd expierience.
Mereenie loop and Tylers pass are graded dirt roads but usually corugated and you have to play dodge the Britz rental van all the way (quite often found on their roofs).
Go with boggy hole, you still are on track for Palm Valley and and its not that far back to Glem Hellen if you want to do the whole tourist drive.

Cheers
FollowupID: 427532

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 21:16

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 21:16
Trehob,

Camooweal to Lawn Hill shouldn't be too bad, as they've just had Gregory River Canoe Races early in May. The Isa council always grades the road prior to the races. Some of that road is bitumen now too, far cry from when we lived near Gregory, 18 years ago.

If the section from C'weal, via Undilla is a bit rough, you can always go down to the other turnoff, towards Mt isa, and turn left there. Gives you some extra black top too.

Worth a night's camp at Gregory Pub, down on the river. Looks like suburbia during the season, but a pleasant spot. All that clear running water....

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 172022

Sponsored Links