King's Canyon to Ayres Rock

Submitted: Monday, May 22, 2006 at 14:25
ThreadID: 34130 Views:4327 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I am looking at travelling to Alice Springs in September and am wondering if the track from King's Canyon to Ayres Rock would be passable in a Rav4? We will be travelling with a Range Rover as well so am willing to have a crack unless someone thinks there is no hope.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: equinox - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 14:53

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 14:53
It is blacktop all the way - so you should make it - even in a Rav4.

Unless you mean the "secret track" that comes out near Curtin Springs. I don't know about that one.

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 173972

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 18:53

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 18:53
Is that the one through Angas Downs?

How are you anyway, Equinox? Feeling better again after your mishap?

Cheers
FollowupID: 429988

Follow Up By: equinox - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 19:05

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 19:05
Hi Willem,

Not sure mate, I honestly don't know. It does exist - I think "Wayward Tours" use it quite often.

I'm great thanks - The insurance company paid out on a new vehicle so thats a turn up for the books. I'm doing my first recon in it early June (long weekend) - My third, and hopefully successful attempt to reach Queen Victoria Spring.

All the best

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 429991

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 19:36

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 19:36
Great to hear you recovered well.

I was out in the vicinity of Mt Winter(Cleland Hills) at the beginning of May. I hope to have a full article on my website before too long.

Cheers
FollowupID: 430006

Reply By: Member - Stillthinkinaboutit - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 14:53

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 14:53
From Kings Canyon to Yulara / Uluru ( Ayers Rock ) is sealed road.
Not sure what you mean by track. Unless you mean from Kings Canyon to Alice via the Mereenie Loop road, even this would not be a problem for the RAV.

Regards,
Mark
AnswerID: 173973

Follow Up By: phillowe - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 15:00

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 15:00
Thanks for that...I know the Rav4 is only a toy :-) looking to upgrade soon. I have allmost finished a draw system/fridge slide in prep for the trip and will post some pics when it is all done.

If anyone knows of some must see's around Alice I would love to know!
FollowupID: 429937

Reply By: Hairy - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 18:29

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 18:29
How adventurous do you want to get around Alice and how much time do you have? Do you want to get out on 4wd tracks or just the tourist drives?
AnswerID: 174027

Follow Up By: phillowe - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 20:07

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 20:07
Hi Hairy,
Will be in the area for about a week....not long I know, was intending to head out around the McDonnel ranges etc. Would like to get out on some tracks but are a bit limited in the Rav4 but will give things a go!!!
FollowupID: 430020

Reply By: MrMagoo - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 23:43

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 23:43
Hi,
Last September we got around most places in an XTrail without a problem. There is a lot to see - and well worth it - and in a week you will be busy getting to quite accessable places - but there is time to do a littlle dirt.

Heading East of Yulara is the northern turn off; Luritja Rd. This is sealed up to kings Canyon. My wife had some food poisoning - mild - so we didnt walk the ridge but I hear we really missed something there. We doubled back to Alice then and half way along (94km) that rd is a turn off to East called the Earnest Giles Rd to take us back to Alice. It is dirt but very good condition and you will doo it easy. Lots of wild camel herds to see and the Henbury Meteor site. It will take you to the Stuart Hwy 130km south of Alice.

We Looped West out of Alice clockwise roungd the Larapinta Drive and the Namatjira Drive. This loop has lots to see and some off road jaunts.

There are some great spots to see. We got the XTrail down to Palm Valley. Dirt and fun. The Xtrail scraped a bit with a full load and reduced rear clearance of 30mm -due to the load- which is a bit of a problem for the Xtrail - particularly that muffler dag hangin of the rear. Take it easy and you will be fine - drive to the conditions and dont be in a rush. There is some bush camp sites down there too that looked OK. Bring and take your own everything. Palm Valley walk was really pretty.

The braver might do the whole finke river (Palm Valley) 4wd (trek notes) trip but without low range and a buddy I didnt attempt it.

Ormiston Gorge was a favorite on the Larapinta Dr.

When we went through some others warned of the excessive corrugation on the Mereenie Loop so we didnt do it - ask others about conditions at your camp - leave Enough time to travel the distance at low speed (30kmh) - take care and get there.

The Xtrail doesnt have low range but can lock the Hubs (50/50). This means that -as we found - the private station owners that host a few of the Treks (listed this site) did not allow us to travel on them (they are probably tired of fishing the softies out of bogs). NPWS dont mind you travelling their roads though but it pays to be prepared.

We took a Recovery Kit; UHF Radio and second spare to be safe but didnt use it - (we also travelled Flinders; Oodnadatta track; Painted Desert; Kakadu; Litchfield and the Xtrail was pretty good in it all -BUT- the roads were great and not hugely 4WD challange material. Suits a Soft Road car just fine). We bolted a cage rack on your roof and chain a spare wheel to it.

PS If you camp at Yulara try top stay up toward the fron of park - use any excuse- because the power generation plant down the back looks and sounds like Port Kembla steel works inhibiting your sleep. Take your ear plugs! (We did).

Have Fun - We did.

Magoo
AnswerID: 174109

Follow Up By: phillowe - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 10:13

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 10:13
Hi Magoo,
Thanks for all the info....will helpwhen sitting down to plan our trip....Sounds like a great part of the country, omly peice I have not been to as yet!!
FollowupID: 430146

Sponsored Links