gps course

Submitted: Friday, Jun 02, 2006 at 05:53
ThreadID: 34524 Views:2163 Replies:9 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone as there has a couple of questions about gps lately thought that seeing i couldn't answer any of the questios i should do a course or something so search found that GPSOZ in sydney do a course. Has any one done one and are they worth while.

Regards BigFella
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: chump_boy - Friday, Jun 02, 2006 at 11:47

Friday, Jun 02, 2006 at 11:47
I haven't done one, and personally don't see the point in them, BUT I grew up using a map and compass, so the transfer to GPS was fairly painless. I also just completed a thesis on a GIS, so I guess that helps as well.

I would, if it were me, look at some sort of orienteering course, where you learn to do things the old fashioned way, then all the GPS stuff kinda tacks onto that.

Kinda like learning to drive before learning to 4WD.....

I think there are too many people out there relying on all their technical gadgets to get them to their destinations and back again.

Just my 2 cents, anyway.

Cheers,

Chump
AnswerID: 176304

Follow Up By: big fella - Friday, Jun 02, 2006 at 18:05

Friday, Jun 02, 2006 at 18:05
Hi chump_boy i can use a map and compass not a problem. But finding out just what my gps can acutally do for me besides giving me the coordinates of where i am and and where i am going to is what i want to find out

Regards BigFella
FollowupID: 432453

Follow Up By: chump_boy - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 09:44

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 09:44
No worries - I see where you are coming from.

I tend to still use the map and compass myself, and if ever I use a GPS it is to verify what I know already. Hell, I hardly ever use a compass, since the Blue Mountains are pretty easy to navigate in.

Some of the responses you got below look pretty good - good luck with your learning.

Cheers,

Chump

FollowupID: 432813

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Friday, Jun 02, 2006 at 13:46

Friday, Jun 02, 2006 at 13:46
Best way to learn about something is play with it ,now that statement covers ....sex as well as GPS
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 176343

Follow Up By: big fella - Friday, Jun 02, 2006 at 18:07

Friday, Jun 02, 2006 at 18:07
Doug thanks for the reply you can play and play with it but it is sometimes better if some body can give you a hand that is for both

Regards BigFella
FollowupID: 432455

Follow Up By: arthurking83 - Friday, Jun 02, 2006 at 22:48

Friday, Jun 02, 2006 at 22:48
May just be easier to team up with someone and "have a play" :)

I'd love to volunteer, but as I'm currently "one handed" (and wrong handed at that!), I can only help with the teaching of the GPS functions!!! ;)

Regular use of the GPS is the only way to get a real idea on what it can do..... as you already know how to read maps/navigate etc...... the GPS is only there to serve the purpose of making that job easier.....not really to make it redundant.

RTFM is a saying I hate to use......and I hardly ever do so.......and is becoming increasingly more difficult as more products appear with only a CD with a pdf of the Manual!!!!! :(
You may find you could learn more(than a course) by following the manual and pushing them buttons!

ps. if it's a specific function, on a particular model, that you're after.......
......ask at www.gpsaustralia.net/

:)
FollowupID: 432532

Reply By: Member - Brian H (QLD) - Friday, Jun 02, 2006 at 13:49

Friday, Jun 02, 2006 at 13:49
I agree the above post has said .................... but from my outlook I would like to know how to plot a course so i can keep it on record. My desert trip I will have maps but would really like a GPS and laptop set up in vehicle so i could plot our course with all the spots we visit.

I would like to see what people have and adapt to my needs. As my daughter will again be my co pilot she will do the story side of things etc etc and add the photos and waypoints would as i see it complete whole story and trip.

Just people saying this goes with that plug this in thier do this and that .......... SH^T that is caught by the keeperlol.

Maybe a course so I know how to plot a course and how to link to the computer would help me.

Failing that more beer heaps of photos lol

Brian
AnswerID: 176344

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Jun 02, 2006 at 16:28

Friday, Jun 02, 2006 at 16:28
Brian,

Just some clarification.

When you say "plot a course" do you mean plan a route?

If you mean you want a record of where you have been, the GPS will do that for you, providing you leave it switched on whilst driving.

A GPS has an automatic Tracking feature that will remain in the GPS' non-volatile
memory until you specifically delete it.
So you will have a record that you can download to any program, after you have completed your trip. What you won't record however is any waypoints for any feature of location you wish to "register". This waypoint recording usually means selecting a menu item, say within OziExplorer, or clicking on the "Waypopint - Man Overboard" icon. This will register the co-ordinates of your current location and save it to a *.wpt file.
The "Moving Map" feature of OziExplorer will automatically record a multiple series of tracking points which can be saved in sectins, or as a whole *.plt file and both files can be subsequently loaded via OziExplorer to display both the route (track) taken and any waypoints registered along the way.

This is basically the construction of a Trek, as shown in the Treks section on ExplorOz, along with manually recorded odometer readings which coinside with waypoints for each feature, intersection, etc.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 432415

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Friday, Jun 02, 2006 at 19:36

Friday, Jun 02, 2006 at 19:36
Brian
I now keep this URL in a handy place for quick reference, just rewad the specs on what this this little beaut does and also take note of the price , I just love mine.

www.ja-gps.com.au/garmin_quest_1.html

Doug
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 432469

Follow Up By: Member - Brian H (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 18:49

Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 18:49
I do mean plan a route ............. I simple want to have the gps set up with the computer, place all the way points in or as best as i can prior to leaving, in sections maybe so as not to huge. Inclusive of points of interest. I would then like at the end of my trip have a photo's and waypoints. Yes simple to what is in trek notes.

Maybe i'm just bitting off to much and should simple go with hard copies and relax lol.

Man overboard will also be used as required.

I have been to a couple of GPS shops even shows and asked about what I am after either they are seem / not interested in talking to a computer / GPS DUMMY or they go so fast and talk in a whole differnt langange which i simply get lost in. I admit i'm slow on the uptake and its not my field of expertice but want to learn.

Brian

FollowupID: 432618

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 19:35

Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 19:35
Yes Brian the you can do all of that and more with a quest , you can plan/make a route and make waypoints on your PC/Laptop with the Garmin software, it will tell you exactly how many Klms it is , you can then load that route to your GPS from the Computer, you can then transfer that route and waypoints from your GPS to OziExplorer Mapping Software that you would install on your computer, then you can add photo's to waypoints , Brian this must sound complicated to you I know but it all comes from hands on useage , yep you will stuff things up as i did when I was teaching myself , as long as you don't alter data settings within the GPS you should not have any problems, if you do want to change something in the settings write it down first so you know how to get it back to where it was set , Maybe I should set up a GPS store in Birdsville, Don't like big cities , Brian did you read the Quest info I sent you www.ja-gps.com.au/garmin_quest_1.html , Just for something to do I will use my Widget screen shooter and take a couple of shots of what Garmin software looks like for you . I will be back here in about 45 mins with the URL for you .
Doug
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 432622

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 20:16

Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 20:16
Brian
go to the link and if your on dial up just give it time to load the photo's

Site Link

Doug
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 432629

Follow Up By: Member - Brian H (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 20:23

Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 20:23
Thanks for that Doug,

I have the mapping programs rapster and Ozi ..... I have a garmin GPS 72 (proberly need to upgrade) which I was told will do the job with the computer. Its just the one i have for my boating needs.

Brian

FollowupID: 432632

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 20:33

Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 20:33
That's ok Brian, The Quest is a very comprehensible unit , It can record every turn and movement for over 2200 klm, I will leave the demo pics there for a couple of days then they will be removed.

Doug
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 432633

Follow Up By: Member - Brian H (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 20:33

Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 20:33
Doug,

Just checked that link out and thats what I am after. Not to mention the Aussie map so i can show where i'm been. Work on that one when i learn more.

I assume I use the hema maps plot a route, give it a name, and then load into the GPS ???

Brian
FollowupID: 432634

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 20:41

Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 20:41
You can best plot or make the route with the garmin maps but transfer the route and waypoints from Garmin to Oziexplorer .

Hey that little screen-shooter widget I use is a handy little gizmo eh , can copy anything that is on the computer screen into a jpg photo , then i load it into Photoimpact 11 and trim it or make it bigger etc, then use the photo in Frontpage to add it to the internet. au.widgets.yahoo.com/ if you want to check the 1000s of them out

Doug
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 432635

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 20:50

Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 20:50
Brian
I also have the Hema Desert Tracks CD and the Simpson Desert CD and i use it with Oziexplorer , Very complicated but i have it all in the 1 index in OziExplorer, I just copied the map files into the map folder in OziExplorer on the C drive , I would presume the Cape York map CD will work the same , when i open the index it has the sections outlined in blue
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 432640

Reply By: Member - Ivan (ACT) - Friday, Jun 02, 2006 at 22:08

Friday, Jun 02, 2006 at 22:08
I think its fair to say that a GPS itself is pretty simple, but the user interface, software and various configurations are easy at a high level (for most) - but not many people get the most out of their software. OziExplorer for example is ok if you spend a fair amount of time in it - but a course showing you its capabilities could be well worth while if you don't pick that sort of stuff up straight away - it is quite extensive software, and most have some skills - most don't have a lot of skills in driving it. So, yes, If you think you'd like a course - probably worth while.

Whilst I haven't been on one of Brian's courses, I can vouch that he is a good dude, with old fashioned values, and knows his stuff..
Cheers,

Ivan
2008 D4D Prado

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 176464

Reply By: AussieTraveller - Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 12:46

Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 12:46
Hi Big Fella
I bought my GPS through Brian Sommerville at GPSOZ and immediately embarked on an extended trip with no knowledge what so ever about these gadgets. Each step of the way a referred to the reference manual to do whatver I needed to do.

When I returned home, feeling comfortable with the GPS, I did the course with Brian. He knows his GPS equipment inside out. After the course, the best thing is, you can always email/ ring him with your specific problem. Nothing is a problem.
Regards Rob
AnswerID: 176512

Follow Up By: big fella - Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 13:11

Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 13:11
Hi aussie traveller had my gps for a while so can do some things. After you had used yours then did the course was there things that you learnt that you hadn't been able to do from reading the manual and playing around with it

Regards BigFella
FollowupID: 432592

Reply By: AussieTraveller - Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 13:45

Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 13:45
HI Bigfella
The course follows a set out path of course which may or may not be things you have picked up from your reading and experimentation with the GPS.
Make a list of all the things that you need to know and keep throwing these questions in. During the lunch break, keep asking.... If you still dont understand, get him to show you.
He is definitely the GPS man. I have a 276C, what do you have?
AnswerID: 176517

Follow Up By: big fella - Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 15:22

Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 15:22
I have a meridan platium i don't really have any real questions just curious if there are things that i can do that i don't know about

Regards BigFella
FollowupID: 432602

Reply By: AussieTraveller - Sunday, Jun 04, 2006 at 12:55

Sunday, Jun 04, 2006 at 12:55
If that is the case, just listen to what other people are doing with theirs and try it with yours. If you get stuck just ring Brian at GPSOZ and Im sure he will assist.
Rob
AnswerID: 176642

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Sunday, Jun 04, 2006 at 14:09

Sunday, Jun 04, 2006 at 14:09
Hello BigFella,
I've done the GPS course with Brian at GPSOz and got a lot out of it.
I can read a map, use a compass and even a sextant.

What did I get? An appreciation of how they work and what thay can do. More importantly, what they can't do.
I learnt a lot about my unit, a Meridian Colour, somewhat the same but different to your Platinum.

Would I do it again in the same situation, Yes. Would I recommend it to you, Yes.

I've even been back since to do Brian's OziExplorer software course, all the things the manual and the help files don't tell you!

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 176648

Follow Up By: big fella - Sunday, Jun 04, 2006 at 19:07

Sunday, Jun 04, 2006 at 19:07
thanks geoff that is the sought of answer i was after

Regards BigFella
FollowupID: 432733

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Sunday, Jun 04, 2006 at 21:45

Sunday, Jun 04, 2006 at 21:45
Hi BigFella,
I too have the book Kingsley talks about below.
It is a good read with valuable information on the subject of GPS navigation. To me it is a supplement to what Brian at GPSOz taught me.

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

FollowupID: 432757

Reply By: Member - Kingsley N (SA) - Sunday, Jun 04, 2006 at 20:01

Sunday, Jun 04, 2006 at 20:01
BigFella and others,

I found that the book "GPS Vehicle Navigation in Australia" by Robert Pepper is very useful. It costs about $25.00 and I take it with me when I go bush. I have spent over 40 years navigating the traditional way with a map and compass, but the GPS is a great comfort, even if you just plot basic waypoints and display the route as straight lines.
The book has a very good website:
www.gpsvehiclenavigation.com/GPS/

Kings
AnswerID: 176695

Sponsored Links