Darling River Run

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 20, 2003 at 10:54
ThreadID: 3464 Views:1740 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone tell me the state of the Darling River? We are thinking of doing the Darling River Run in September this year. Would be travelling from Brisbane to Bourke and on to Minindee Lakes and possibly Mungo National Park. I have heard of one group cancelling their Easter trip to the same area because it is too dry.
We had hoped to camp at a few locations along the river and do a little fishing. I would appreciate advice from anyone who has done the same trip.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Savvas - Thursday, Feb 20, 2003 at 11:00

Thursday, Feb 20, 2003 at 11:00
I have a friend that visited menindee lakes in December and they said the lakes were just about empty. It's not good!
AnswerID: 13564

Follow Up By: Bruce - Thursday, Feb 20, 2003 at 12:27

Thursday, Feb 20, 2003 at 12:27
We have friends here who go up there reguarly and on the most recent trip a month or so ago they said the lakes were in a bad way ..hardly any water at all compared to what they are used to seeing...
FollowupID: 7951

Reply By: Member - Stephen- Thursday, Feb 20, 2003 at 13:00

Thursday, Feb 20, 2003 at 13:00
Menindee lakes are EMPTY.Copi Hollow is full - it has had water from the rest of the Lakes pumped into it.Copi Hollow is now the water supply for Broken Hill. It is a very pleasant spot for boating, swimming and camping (at the c/van park though).

Last week the Darling river at Wentworth was actually flowing backwards with water from the Murray.

There is still fishing on the Darling however, some mates are headed "up the river" this w/end.

Cheers
Stephen J.
AnswerID: 13573

Reply By: Indy - Thursday, Feb 20, 2003 at 17:19

Thursday, Feb 20, 2003 at 17:19
Thanks for your responses. We were rather keen on doing the trip but I am sure it would be lot more enjoyable if there was more water in the Darling and the lakes. If it ever rains again in the headwaters (and it will take a lot to fill the systems again) we will head down that way. Anyone got any suggestions for a 2 weeks round trip north of Brisbane in September for a bit of travelling, fishing and camping with an off road caravan? I thought it might be a little hot at that time of the year for some gem fossicking that involved much manual labour eg. the Emerald gem fields.
I would welcome your suggestions.

AnswerID: 13596

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Thursday, Feb 20, 2003 at 18:42

Thursday, Feb 20, 2003 at 18:42
Indy, floods in Warrego and Paroo, albeit small, at moment so this might be a start. Even Diamantina is running in a few places, not that that helps the Darling. If El Nino does break, then it might be floods everywhere in autumn.

What about a run up to Mackay, across to gemfields, keep fossicking to cooler hours then over the drummonds to El Salvatore n/park, then to Carnarvons then home. if it doesn't keep raining this year, there won't be many places too flash for any activities. Dust storms will be all the go in these western parts.

Have a safe trip...Hooroo.
FollowupID: 7988

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Saturday, Feb 22, 2003 at 21:28

Saturday, Feb 22, 2003 at 21:28
Indy, Reports of good rain, they didn't say how much, over the Menindee area, and further north. Probably a bit patchy, because Brewarrina didn't get a drop. Looked like it was too far north of the change. Also rain in SE Qld forecast, maybe this will get a run into McIntyre and Condamine. Hooroo...
FollowupID: 8158

Reply By: Gibbers - Thursday, Feb 20, 2003 at 20:29

Thursday, Feb 20, 2003 at 20:29
You're on track now Indy - the Darling area has been hell...farmers shooting stock - no water (no fish) and heat.
AnswerID: 13608

Reply By: StephenF - Thursday, Feb 20, 2003 at 21:34

Thursday, Feb 20, 2003 at 21:34
Go to http://waterinfo.dlwc.nsw.gov.au/drr/ and click on "Darling". Storage information, including the Menindee Lakes, is at the bottom of the page. It's fairly depressing at the moment but keep checking and you should be able to decide before September if it's worthwhile going.

Stephen.
AnswerID: 13614

Follow Up By: Indy - Friday, Feb 21, 2003 at 09:06

Friday, Feb 21, 2003 at 09:06
Thanks everyone,
I'll start planning a northern trip and keep the Darling in mind if the rains come again.
FollowupID: 8021

Sponsored Links