Isisford/Boulia area,- rain, fresh ?

Submitted: Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 00:53
ThreadID: 34968 Views:2132 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G,day. Want to revisit Lark Quarry with its (not so) brand new Protective Covering.
. Would like to set a few lines around the place while we wander through: any local advice re. water conditions?
. Picked up a nice yellerbelly near Imbil recently - hence the renewed interest in the Diamantina/ Barcoo drainage areas.
. Thanks eh,
. Jeff.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 06:45

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 06:45
Jeff,

Try Old Cork waterhole, or the 'holes down at the Lakes National Park, for yellowbelly.

Road to Lark Quarry from Winton, is almost excellent at moment, no worries for any vehicle.

Check out the old homestead at Old Cork, now it has lost all it's roof, the deterioration will be accelerated.

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 178725

Follow Up By: kesh - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 09:19

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 09:19
Further down the Jundah road is Rocky Crossing (Mayne R.) Good camp spots up and down stream. Last time there caught fish (yellowbelly/bream) on strips of salami.
kesh
FollowupID: 434988

Reply By: Bros 1 - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 14:57

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 14:57
Jeff H,
Fished Old Cork last year in May. Caught 7 yellowbelly without really trying (read, caught themselves). AS Bob Y says, check out the ruins and camp on the river bank just down from the ruins. Plenty flies. Saw my first spinifex pigeon at the ruins. Could not see them for their camoflage until they moved.
Another place to try is Wirrilyerna Homestead, north west of Boulia. Heaps of redclaw, or whatever you call them lobbie,yabbie thingos.
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 178801

Reply By: Member - Allen R (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 20:43

Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 20:43
Jeff,
There is a pamphlet you can get from the Info Centre at Winton called "A Natural Adventure". It is a 3 day drive Winton to Winton of 732 kms. It covers the Bladensburg National Park (don't ignore the Scrammy), Opalton (fossicking), Lark Quarry (fossils), Diamantina NP & River (fishing), Old Cork Station (fishing) and lots of other interesting scenery and sights. Camping is either free or NP daily rates. About 110 kms 4WD required. This is a worthwhile tour. If you are travelling further west to Boulia you can take a road to the Winton - Boulia Highway from the Old Cork Station. Lark Quarry hasn't changed even with the new covering. No problems in June with road conditions. Have a good trip..
AnswerID: 178985

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff H (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 20:57

Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 20:57
. Thanks for the replies, sounds good.
. Jeff H.
FollowupID: 435402

Reply By: Member - Jeff H (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 11, 2006 at 21:24

Tuesday, Jul 11, 2006 at 21:24
Bob Y,
. Thanks for your 'dobbed in' reply.
. We stayed 2 nights at O. C., - lovely as ever, except the Cockroach beside us picked up a freezer full of yellerbelly. Mind you, we didn't have to kill, gut,scale etc ., the beaut shanks 'n y-bone we bought in Blackall.(Similarly the meat we bought in Killarney was heavenly).
. Bob, if you're (IF, ? did I say 'if'?)/. ' When' you next hit the Bundy area, give me a yell, and we could just find a quiet camp site, with the possibility of a fish feed, 'n I'll bring the lemon.
Thanks Bob Y.
. Jeff
AnswerID: 183027

Sponsored Links