It's legal....fog lights during the day!

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 11:26
ThreadID: 35315 Views:4546 Replies:16 FollowUps:20
This Thread has been Archived
After an intense discussion on a previous 'What cheese's me off....' fog lights was targeted as an unsafe practice causing serious injury or death when used during the day.

I have been informed that the Vicroads position is that any clear forward facing lights can be used during the day on the provision that they do not dazzle or blind the drivers of other vehicles. This information was supplied by a person who lists fog lights as one of his pet hates and has done the research. This could explain why you see even police vehicles and other government vehicles with their fog lights on.

So, been seen and be safe in Victoria at least.

Cheers.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bware (Tweed Valley) - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 11:32

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 11:32
Don't know if I'm missing something but are yellow fog lights viewed as 'clear'?
AnswerID: 180561

Follow Up By: Rokkitt - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 11:48

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 11:48
Here we go again.....:)

Fog Lights! - and browse down to "Lighting and Mechanical Questions (pdf 916KB)"

Well it seems you are correct however "the lamps must be correctly aimed as fog lamps so as not to dazzle other road users" - well they dazzle me most of the time although I would probably not notice if they didn't.

It seems Rear fog lamps on the other hand are not allowed to be used except in adverse weather conditions.....go figure!!! - that buggered my idea!

Anyone have some blinkers I can borrow....???

FollowupID: 436835

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 13:02

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 13:02
Hi there Bware, I have what they class as fog lights on my commodore fitted from factory by holden, and they are a clear lense but when they are on they light up the sides of the road brilliantly which is what there suppose to do so you can see the lines on either side of you on the road in foggy conditions, but agree with you totally that they are bloody blinding when you are approaching them .I only use myn when its foggy or on the open road as per reply further down the page. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 436856

Reply By: Ando79 - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 11:50

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 11:50
G'day Feral,

I guess you have to work out how to tell if they are dazzling or blinding...

Saturday morning I drove across town to the shops. Had the headlights on as usual as you can leave them in the on position all the time in the cruiser. Someone flashed me (their headlights that is), so I hit the brakes and slowed down thinking there must be cops up ahead, but no cops. Then, while I was sitting parked in a carpark with the engine running, and the lights on, this bloke taps on my window and tells me my lights are on. Go figure... It's not like I'm going to flatten the battery with the engine running...

Our organisation has an OH&S rule that headlights must be on at all times when driving to improve visibility of the vehicle (we do a lot of highway driving) which makes a lot of sense, and yet people still insist on trying to get you to turn your headlights off.
AnswerID: 180567

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 12:27

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 12:27
As part of the public education campaign to reduce the numbers of deaths on the roads up in central Qld (especially between the mining areas and their homes on the coast), the Police are actually encouraging drivers to drive with their headlights on!

From the CFMEU news:

...... the month of May sees the commencement of a “Lights On and Live” Road Safety Campaign, targeting the Mackay and hinterland coal fields areas. On 10th May police will be pulling over drivers on the Peak Downs Highway, leading from Mackay to the Coal Fields, who don’t have their lights on. The Police will be having a quick and friendly chat about the practice of driving with lights on and presenting motorists with a CFMEU “miners lamp” keychain, 500 of which have been donated by the Queensland District. The District is actively involved in investigating the relationship between shift lengths and working conditions and road accidents in Central Queensland and is supporting a number of road safety campaigns.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andrew
FollowupID: 436843

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Friday, Jun 30, 2006 at 09:47

Friday, Jun 30, 2006 at 09:47
Yes, headlights on, but only on LOW beam so they won't glare other drivers - and no foglights that glare.

Those signs to put on headlights in daytime seem to be a total waste of time - you see very few drivers who comply. They seem to think they will use more fuel or shorten the life of headlights dramatically if they comply.

Mike
FollowupID: 437515

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 12:34

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 12:34
I was following a "gentleman" in his Dork-mobile the other night and he had a rearward facing RED "fog light" on. This light was brighter than his brake lights and was most distracting.

Kinda makes you want to follow them and when they park and walk away from their vehicle, "adjust" the light with a steering lock, or tire lever.

IMHO much of this crap eventuated from the "world car concept" where in Europe, most days are rainy, or foggy, or just generally crappy. But we shouldn't need any of these bull s h i t lights in Australia and they should be banned forthwith.

Geez, some of the lights you see on these chitboxes would have cost more than the car.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 180578

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 12:53

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 12:53
HHAAA! I'm with you!
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 436849

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 12:55

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 12:55
I have known some people Sandman who may be seen as quite inconsiderate too in dealing with those lights, by shining their high-mounted lights into the back of the car in front in retailiation;-) I guess the reason would escape the offending driver though {:(
FollowupID: 436851

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 15:40

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 15:40
Hey Sandman, Thats a bleep er, I love your flashing lights too.! Thats all we need, rear facing flashing fog lights on top of bright blue fluros with the music really loud. How about some Mexican jumping cars too..?
FollowupID: 436889

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Friday, Jun 30, 2006 at 09:54

Friday, Jun 30, 2006 at 09:54
I think it was in the 70's when imported European cars had the Hazard Flashers DISABLED because the ancient regulations here didn't allow them.

Front and Rear Foglights making driving much safer in foggy conditions, but it seems that the main problem we have in Australia is that drivers here are slow learners.

Nowhere else in the world have have I seen signs similar to "Keep Left Unless Overtaking - Fine Exceeds $95" - in other countries the drivers are smart enough to drive considerately without needing to be threatened with a fine !

Mike
FollowupID: 437516

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Friday, Jun 30, 2006 at 10:39

Friday, Jun 30, 2006 at 10:39
You are spot on Mike. The keep left one is an interesting phenomenon, happens all the time but typically with drivers who appear "TOO" comfortable on the road, almost like it's their chillout time, if I want the right lane, then it's my highway. Thats when the Xenon Spots wired into high beam come into play, either they move or your "burn" them over.! LOL
FollowupID: 437526

Follow Up By: Member - Darren T (VIC) - Friday, Jun 30, 2006 at 18:04

Friday, Jun 30, 2006 at 18:04
"Nowhere else in the world have have I seen signs similar to "Keep Left Unless Overtaking - Fine Exceeds $95" - in other countries the drivers are smart enough to drive considerately without needing to be threatened with a fine !"

Exceeds $95 alright, its more like $230 !!
Young bloke from work was fined for travelling in the right lane at speeds greater than 80kph on a recent work trip travelling back from Sydney.
Pretty sure he only recieved the fine because the police woman knew he was speeding but couldn`t prove it as we were coming up behind her, and pinged him with this instead.
FollowupID: 437598

Reply By: Member - MrBitchi (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 12:44

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 12:44
Legal or not, wanker lights are still wanker lights :-P
AnswerID: 180581

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 12:54

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 12:54
Yes I have to agree with you on that one.
FollowupID: 436850

Follow Up By: Feral - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 13:41

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 13:41
Suppose wanker flags being used in the desert/dunes is still wanker flags......

heh John?

Cheers.
FollowupID: 436865

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 15:22

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 15:22
Wanker Flags..! Thats a bleep er..!
FollowupID: 436881

Follow Up By: Member - MrBitchi (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 15:27

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 15:27
LOL At least my wanker flag was there for a purpose, and was removed as soon as that need was over. ;-)
FollowupID: 436884

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 15:34

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 15:34
I really like the Green and Gold Socceroo Flags personally on the cars driving with their Neon Fluros..! I also don't mind the Big Aussie Flags I see on some house , especially in the country.!
FollowupID: 436886

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 12:52

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 12:52
Its my pet hate also. In NSW its a $70 fine to use them with no fog and also that stupid bright red fog light on the back. So much so is my pet hate, i counted 17 omcoming cars and 3 that overtook me in the other lane.That was in 10 minutes. Yes all small cars with flash wheels, some with a 6" exhaust outlet, you get the idea. Would be nice revenue raiser just waiting alongside Canterbury Rd in south west Sydney!!!
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 180583

Reply By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 12:57

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 12:57
I know here in Sydney, you are not aloud to use fog lights on any vehicle unless there is fog, I have them fitted to the bottom of my b/bar standard from holden and they are clear not yellow and are classed as fog lights, and yes agree with people I think they are bloody blinding in normal driving conditions, I have had my wife behind me with them on and they are blinding when you see it coming up behind you, they can be adjusted but if you have a full tank they face upwards if you adjust them down then have say an empty tank they are pointing downwards. I use them in open road conditions and turn them off if Im approaching some body or they are approaching me, they can only be turned if you have at least the parkers on but they will also work with normal headlights or high beam, to me if they are fog lights they should only come on with parkers so that way they are on with parkers and rear tail lights only. Thats my thoughts any way. Regards Steve M
AnswerID: 180585

Reply By: Redback - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 12:59

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 12:59
You blokes would be really annoyed if you lived in France then, as all vehicles there have yellow headlights.

Baz.
AnswerID: 180587

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 13:51

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 13:51
Being annoyed in France has nothing to do with headlights - they all start of in this frame of mind and never get better. My apologies to the French members on this forum, you know who you are, the ones with attitude.

I guess yellow headlights are only in France and the rest of the world is out of sinc.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 436868

Reply By: Rokkitt - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 14:41

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 14:41
Quite a debate.....

Headlights are "NOT" the problem at all, I agree that it is safer to use headlights during the day - as a motorcyclist I often use my headlights during the day. It's the fog lights that are the problem - look at the light pattern - they are useless in normal conditions (there is no point in using them) - they cost additional fuel to run - neglible I know but still an against! I am really trying to see both sides of this but I cannot see the benefit.

When one of these vehicles sits up behind me I find I have to try and sit my Car in such a position in the road as to obscure there view (so I can see) where as normally I would sit as far to the left as possible allowing those behind me as clear a view of the road as possible - another thing against "fog lights" kinda.....:)

So a question to those that advocate the use of fog lights: why do you use them when the headlight beam pattern gives far better coverage in "normal" driving conditions - I cannot find any evidence that shows a car with foglights and headlights is any safer than a car with just headlights in "noirmal" conditions?

I dont think there is any relation between sand flags that cause other people no discomfort and those Fog lights which obviously do; from the majority of responses here.

Rod
AnswerID: 180611

Reply By: The Bigfella - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 14:57

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 14:57
I must be an odd one out on this issue. I do not do much night driving but just recently drove from Bathurst to Canberra on a Friday night with plenty of oncoming traffic. Vehicles with "fog lights" on were much easier to see approaching and with no glare in my opinion. Maybe because I am in a 4WD and am up higher off the road could make a difference.
I agree around town they are not needed but in both night and day I reckon they are easier to see out on the country roads. I drive with mine on on country roads.
I have been told by a highway patrol guy that in the country they don't worry to much about them but in towns you can expect a $79 fine if the fog lights are on with no fog about.
Just another opinion.
The Bigfella
AnswerID: 180615

Reply By: Ray Bates - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 15:13

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 15:13
Fourty years ago I was a Pom. I suppose I am still a Pom but in those days Britain was subject to some realy bad pea soupers (fog to the uninitiated) and white lights were absolutly useless in fog and only reflected back at you. All fog lights were yellow and were focussed very low and towards the side of the row. I would emagine that those manufacturers who install these lights do not know the meaning of the word fog and should change the definition of these lights.
In all my fourty years in Australia I have never seen a fog only a heavy mist.
AnswerID: 180621

Follow Up By: Hayjude - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 15:26

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 15:26
Where in Australia do you live? Last week we had 2 mornings straight where you couldn't see 30 ft in front of you and we live in Broken Hill. Anyhow I hate fog lights too. Feel like hitting the spotlights when they come toward me.
FollowupID: 436883

Follow Up By: Julian - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 15:32

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 15:32
You're dead right Ray.
People that use fog lights at the same time as dipped headlights are obviously unaware that fog lights are designed to be used by themselves so as not to illuminate the fog, but to cut under it. The manufacturers are doing the wrong thing by wiring them independently of the headlights. My old Mark 2 Jags had foglights on a separate position on the headlight switch, past that for headlights and it turned the headlights off. That's correct. Manufacturers are just using foglights as a stupidly unnecessary extra to get more money out of people.
As for rear foglights they're designed to make a car visible in conditions when the standard rear lights are invisible. This rarely happens in Australia, where the fog is rarely thick. I live off the Calder Hwy near Gisborne/Woodend and occasionally we are in the clouds (a tad misty). I'll use my rear foglight on an empty freeway until a car appears behind me and then I'll turn it off so as not to dazzle. The person behind is already aware of my presence so the light is unnecessary. In Europe and the UK they regularly have pile-ups in fog because motorists are hooning along at 100 kph totally blind, and they don't see the car in front until it's
too late. That's when rear fogs are needed.

Julian
FollowupID: 436885

Reply By: TerraFirma - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 15:19

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 15:19
I don't see what the issue is, if people want to use their fog lights, who bleep in cares.? They don't bother me, it seems some people call em "Wanker Lights" , why..? Mate of mine was driving back from the snow , it was twilight, he had his on and a Copper pulled him over and said, turn off your wanker lights.! Thats bull bleep , they were being used in a safe manner and that is what they were designed for. If some people want to have them on during the day, big deal, get over it..!

At least there not the flashing neon and fluro lights getting around nowdays. I'm gunna turn mine on just to bleep off everyone..! LOL
AnswerID: 180622

Reply By: TerraFirma - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 15:45

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 15:45
Comeon, we all need to have the biggest FOG LIGHTS, he who has the biggest and brightest wins.! Here is the shopping list:

http://images.google.com.au/images?hl=en&q=fog%20lights%20&sa=N&tab=wi

AnswerID: 180629

Reply By: Member - David (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 16:24

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 16:24
Fog lights are a no-no in WA. Below is an extract of the rules here.
I hate the bl##dy things with a passion.

ROAD TRAFFIC CODE 2000 - REG 183
Using fog lights
183 . Using fog lights

(1) The driver of a vehicle fitted with a front or rear fog light shall not operate the front or the rear fog light unless the driver is driving in fog or other hazardous weather conditions causing reduced visibility.

(2) In fog or mist or in hazardous weather conditions restricting visibility, the display of light from a front fog light or front fog lights is sufficient compliance with any obligation to display a light from a head light or head lights under regulation 182.

(3) A person shall not drive a motor vehicle, other than a motor cycle, displaying light from a single front fog light, unless 2 lit lights, complying with the requirements of the Vehicle Standards, are fitted to the front of the vehicle.

(4) A person shall not drive a motor vehicle displaying light from a front fog light or front fog lights, if any other light of a power exceeding 7 watts and capable of showing a white light to the front is alight.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 180640

Follow Up By: tifino - Saturday, Jul 15, 2006 at 20:27

Saturday, Jul 15, 2006 at 20:27
Reading those W.A. rules, would be great to visit there to see the blue-lights pull up all those blinding foglit drivers. Wish those boys in blue were here for us (in vic).
In the valleys of Gippsland, foggies are a desirable option to have when needed, just wish the drivers around me would learn to recognise when a particular type of light should be used for the conditions at the time.
I’ve for many years tried some self policing in my use of lighting. For foglights, they are only lit under fog/adverse lighting conditions. I treat them as I would my high beam, in that they are extinguished following the same requirements as high beam, when approaching traffic.
The foglight wiring configuration of each vehicle I’ve owned, whether OEM lights or aftermarket always gets my following amendment:
Rewiring of the fog selection circuit by the installation of a changeover relay that will inhibit the foglight circuits whenever headlights are ON. This is so simple, and able to be incorporated into any vehicle, without modifying the original high/low wiring loom. All you need is to have a sense wire running from the LOW, and one from the HIGH beam. Those two wires are used to directly operate the changeover relay. The changeover contacts (the normally closed contacts) are connected in series with the foglight power selection wire. And thats it!

That looks after my end of the bargain in not blinding others.

What happens when I am being blinded by another? Resist the urge to retaliate. Recently yet another local driver was fined for flashing an oncoming high beam blinder. It was a copper however, who then booked that driver for flashing him. You can’t win.
I’ve tried another tact. For my current wagon shape, I got 13 yards of reflecting tape (as used on vests) from the U.S. by ebay, and wound the lot around my cargo barrier. So now I have half of it reflecting thru the front windows, and the other rearward facing thru a red tint filter sheet. I call this my passive retaliation. Oh yes, I have a rear camera for necessary reversing vision. So the tape is now my permanently set&forget fix. You’d be amazed about how well it gets the hoped-for dipping response from other traffic. Even from trucks. Guess they think I’m an ambo?
FollowupID: 440292

Reply By: Scubaroo - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 22:36

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 22:36
Wow, a lot of intense feelings on fog lights...

I regularly use my driving around in the suburbs at night - the light pattern from the foglights on my Pajero is *FAR* more effective at lighting up the side of the road where pedestrians/kids etc are, than regular low beam headlights, which pretty much only light the road ahead up. I've watched other NM Pajeros with the same pattern foglights approach - they aren't dazzling. The user that posted earlier in the thread that they are no more effective than regular headlights is simply mistaken.

We've all seen cars though with unadjusted foglights (or more commonly, headlights!) that aren't properly adjusted that do blind oncoming drivers. HID / blue bulbs, anyone?

What bugs me though is that lower set of lights on Commodores - they DO dazzle other drivers, and the rotten things seem to come aligned from the factory set to "possum spotting" mode - even up high in the Paj they are bright to look at.

Nothing wrong with driving around with regular headlights on during the day either if it's overcast, or if you're on an undivided road in an 80/100km zone out of town - your lights might be the thing that snaps the drunk or fatigued driver heading towards you to attention as he drifts out of his lane head-on into yours while your wife and kids are in the car...
AnswerID: 180735

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 22:54

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 22:54
Your right there Scubaroo, as said in my post above We have VX s pack with the driving lights and are bloody bright that's why I consider other drivers around and use them on the open roads as they do light up the side of the road very good at night but always turn them off if another vehicle approachs as I said above I have had my wife behind me and I'm in the lux with a lift and they come straight through my canopy and hits either my side mirror or rear view mirror and cant see jack bleep , have rang her on the mobile and told her to turn off, yeah I know talking on mobile while driving but figured there was more chance of having a smash cause I couldnt see where I was going then telling her to turn the bloody things off. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 437001

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 21:37

Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 21:37
here is a solution to lights

cheap spotties?
AnswerID: 180921

Reply By: Member - MrBitchi (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 09:26

Sunday, Jul 16, 2006 at 09:26
If you want to have lights on during the day you should use your normal headlights on LOW BEAM ONLY!!!!!

Very few "fog lights" have a proper beam cut off to prevent blinding on coming traffic so they should not be used.

WANKER LIGHTS!!!! Turn em off!!! (please?)
AnswerID: 183724

Sponsored Links