Vehicle Equip

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 12:07
ThreadID: 41957 Views:2469 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Love reading the rig profiles of members. Lots of great ideas and ingenuity. Makes my setup seem quite inadequate. But, we have covered quite a bit of varied terrain and lived 10ks up a gravel road for 30 years.

So, my question is how much stuff do you really need, even for remote travel?

Regards
Mike
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jon W (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 12:39

Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 12:39
Mike,
Rather than trying to cater (re spares etc) for every possible breakdown scenario, we concentrate on personal survival by having an EPIRB, signalling devices, substantial firstaid kit and enough emergency food and water for a week. This is supplemented by leaving detailed itineraries with at least two other friends/relatives, carrying some spares, never passing up an opportunity to top up water supply and by not departing from home with any dodgy or suspect components.

For what its worth,
Jon W
AnswerID: 219638

Reply By: markeaust - Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 13:30

Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 13:30
Mike,

Different strokes for different folks I reckon!

For some, accessorising their vehicle is a bit of a hobby as well. A vehicle set up for outback touring will have different requirements than one doing smaller 'local' trips into the mountains etc.....the problem is for me that I like doing both!

Obviously compromises need to be made and prioritised against how much money one can afford to pour into a car and how long one intends to keep it!

Like you I love going through the rig pics and seeing how others do it, but I fear it also makes me want more stuff which I probably don't really need....????!?!?!???

Cheers,

Mark
AnswerID: 219658

Reply By: lbudgie - Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 15:16

Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 15:16
easy answer, you need it all .
more toys and gagets the better!!!!
remember the man who dies with the most toys wins!!! :)
AnswerID: 219682

Follow Up By: Kev M (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 15:22

Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 15:22
That's Roachie's philosphy

Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 480243

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C. (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 15:59

Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 15:59
"the man who dies with the most toys......."

.....is dead!!!!!

;-))))
Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 480250

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 17:58

Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 17:58
Check out Willem's list. He can get it all in his GQ and really goes to remote areas. If Willem doesn't need it then you don't - if he does, worth considering and you can fit it in.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 219710

Follow Up By: Footloose - Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 18:35

Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 18:35
Willem cheats. He tows a trailer to get it all in :)))
FollowupID: 480276

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 18:39

Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 18:39
Not always Footloose - and the trailer is a new addition!
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 480278

Follow Up By: Footloose - Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 18:40

Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 18:40
I should add that lots of stuff people carry is pretty individual. Travelling alone or in a group ? Staying a few weeks, days or just travelling?
All have different requirements. I rarely travel off track, so need less recovery. But I travel alone, so probablt carry more junk of different kinds. I do long distances in short time frames so dont tend to set up camp and stay in too many places. I have a lot of tar work at both ends of a trip.
Horses for courses :))))
FollowupID: 480279

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 22:20

Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 22:20
Remote travel needs different stuff.
Weight is the enemy - stops you getting over dunes and buggers up the Landcruiser suspension and the Patrol chassis all crack.

To fit that extra water, fuel, a tyre casing and a few extra spares in, you can leave the useless heavy stuff at home.

The useless heavy stuff is the Warn winch, the Tirfor handwinch, the glossy heavy ARB steel bits that hang off the back, the heavy steel drawers - all those things that put your big heavy 4wd over its GVM before you start packing the beer. And leave the trailers at home.

Gadgets are a different matter :-)))
AnswerID: 219770

Reply By: Member - Richard S (SA) - Monday, Feb 05, 2007 at 20:32

Monday, Feb 05, 2007 at 20:32
Can’t agree more with “Jon W” personal survival is number 1 in our book.
We can not get over the hugh number of people in 4wd’s that are ill prepared for personal survival or think that if they break down someone else will come along and help them out.
Here is the ‘MUST HAVE” list and why.
1) 4 Pens and paper. (To give or leave a note to or fore someone.)
2) 2 torches. (One Dolphin and one 4D MagLite with new batteries.)
3) Matches, fire lighters and old news papers.
4) Toilet paper.
5) Camping gear. (Plates, eating utensils, can opener etc.)
6) Clean rags. (You never know when you need them.)
7) HF radio. (At least you can get help if needed and let people know were you are.)
8) Maps of the area. (No good having HF radio if you don’t know were you are.)
9) Full first aid kit with manual. (Do a senior first aid course.)
10) Water and food for 5 day longer than you plan on being away for. (Flood waters rise quickly.)
11) Extra fuel in two plastic 20Lt. containers.
12) Cool and warm clothing plus hats and long sleeve shirts.
13) Large canvas tarp.
14) Full recovery gear. (Learn how to use it first.)
15) Full quality tool set. (You will be really bleep if your cheap set of spanners round an important bolt off.)
16) Supply kit. (Race tape, insulation tape, 3mm and 6mm auto wire, fuses, bolts, elec. terminals, cable ties etc.)
17) Quality air compressor and hose. (Ever tried blowing tires up with your lips, rubber tastes terrible.)
18) UHF radio with a good antenna. (Not a big white one on the bull bar.)
19) Mobile CDMA phone with car kit and a proper external antenna. (Not a glass mount antenna type either.)
20) An axe.
21) A Shovel.
22) Long quality jumper leads.

Here is the 4wd list and why.
1) Vehicle in good condition and maintained correctly.
2) Dual battery system. (To run all the accessories and incase you get a flat battery at a bottom of a hill.)
3) Good quality and condition tires to suit the environment.
4) Steel bull bar. (Can be depended on and stronger then alloy.)
5) Quality driving lights.(What big eyes you have……all the better to see with.)
6) Rear mounted flood light. (To annoy the campers behind you and help you to see better.)
7) Tow bar. (Square type.)

Options
1) Sat phone. (Prefer vehicle mounted so others can phone you in a family emergency or you can get help.)
2) GPS
3) Laptop with GPS capabilities.
4) Camera (So you can take bragging and humiliation photos of other people who are not prepared properly.)

Well that’s about it……YES we do carry all this and sometimes more in out Hilux extra cab. With the must have list all of this can be brought for around $5000 to $10000, we have asked other people why the are in remote areas and have not got this gear……there reply is Oh its to expensive……we reply with “so your life and the life of others with you is only worth $10000, you know what there reply is!

When I was riding motor bikes there was a saying $200 helmet…..$200 head I suppose it goes for this stuff aswell.

Regards Richard

AnswerID: 219998

Sponsored Links