4wdriving course

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 16:39
ThreadID: 4410 Views:2175 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
just reading through the forum and i was wondering a keen to do a course i live in sydney (gladesville) and would like to know the closest/cheapest course. also about clubs when joining a club is there restrictions as i know they go on heaps of trips and having a standard 3l 99 triton with no money in the near future to add heaps of stuff to it (little fella is on the way next month) and i rekkon i wouldnt be able to go places that some fully deck out 4wd could hence i might be a bit of a liability. so does that matter at all?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 17:03

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 17:03
Dont be put off clubs cause theres modified 4b's there.

They will cater for all sorts of people, and the training is aimed at basics, not people with 44in boggers, and 12inch lifts and lockers etc..

there are lots of clubs around that ARE like that, so it pays to go and attend lots of different clubs, and meetings to see what they are about.

Dont just go to one and join.!

I would recommend the Sydney Nissan Patrol Club to ANYONE. I was with them, std Patrol did the driver training with other cars like bog stock Pathfinder with road tires on it thru to lifted cars.

Was a fantastic weekend. Give it a go.
AnswerID: 17684

Follow Up By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Thursday, Apr 17, 2003 at 23:09

Thursday, Apr 17, 2003 at 23:09
You will be amazed what you can learn from an experienced Nationally Recognised 4wd instructor. These courses are a huge learning curve in one day and if it saves you just one serious scratch it will have paid for itself let alone any serious incident. What value is your car or you or your families lives, from that perspective a $300 drive course is one of the cheapest accessories you will put on your vehicle and undoubtedly the most beneficial. These courses can only be delivered by a Cert IV Assessors and awarded by a Registered Training Organisation. As it is Nationally Recognised course it is an advantage to your CV especially if you consider working in a tourist type industry.
Cheers Rob
Cairns Offroad TRAINING & Tours
www.4wdTRAINING.com
4wdTRAINING@cairns.net.au
www.cedarparkresort.com.au
Cairns Offroad Training & Tours
FollowupID: 11207

Reply By: jonny dontknowmuch - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 18:05

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 18:05
this may sound dumb but do i have to have a nissan as i ve got a triton?
AnswerID: 17690

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 18:51

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 18:51
Nope, you can have anything.

Theres people with Kia Sportages.

The club meets on Queens Road Five Dock.
www.nissanpatrolclub.org if I remember
FollowupID: 11110

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 18:14

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 18:14
The point is that it does not matter which vehicle you drive most clubs will welcome you with anything. We started out at the TLCC club in Sydney (Toyota Land Crusier Club in Sydney), they had excellent driver training as part of your membership. Try a 4WD Business Search for 4WD Clubs in Sydney/Blue Mountains.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
AnswerID: 17691

Follow Up By: Lyds - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 20:40

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 20:40
Clubs like the TLCC also do lots of other "training" aside from the standard offroad stuff and cover things like:
sand driving
comms and navigation
1st Aid
vehicle maintenance
camping preparation
advanced recovery
list goes on...

typically you only pay for the materials - otherwise covered by membership fees.

I also did the Vic Widman training and that was very good too.Cheers,
Stuart
- To err is human, to moo bovine -
FollowupID: 11117

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 18:24

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 18:24
The short answer is no. I'm a member of the Sydney club Truckster mentioned and anyone can join. You can't become a full member with them until you have done their driver traing course which is included in the moderate joining fee. Well recomend the course, it's a great weekend and they are skilled and curteous trainers. The club is very friendly and family oriented. They have monthly meetings not far from you. Trips are graded and you choose the time and places that suit.
Check their web site and call Steve on the ph no. under contacts. Hope this helps.http://www.nissanpatrolclub.org/Carpe Diem
AnswerID: 17692

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 19:31

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 19:31
heres some pics of a few sections of the worst, adn trust me a L300 van with a 75 or 85 yr old driver did it
DRIVER TRAINING PICTURES.
my car is still on the cover of their mag long ago when it had Kumho AT's and alloy cowcatcher!!!!
FollowupID: 11111

Reply By: Jack - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 21:48

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 21:48
All good advice here .. that being to (1) join a club and (2) take advantage of the training many of them offer ... I would just suggest that you check to see that they are VETAB Accredited ... and then enjoy what each club has to offer its members. The Accreditation process pretty well ensure that what you are being taught is worthwile, and the trainers are able to train ..... sounds silly, but it is important.
Happy travelling
Jack
AnswerID: 17727

Reply By: Cashy - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 22:45

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 22:45
Jonny,

I would recommend the TLCC. They have a fully VETAB accreditted training course and also are a RTO so can issue there own certificates. They also offer more then just the basic course and run regiular trips for members. The club also owns two blocks of land for themembers to use. Check out all the details on www.tlcc.com.au

Regards

Cashy
AnswerID: 17732

Reply By: jonny dontknowmuch - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 16:04

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 16:04
righto thanks ill have a look ive already looked at the nissan site and am very keen to do so even more now thanks all.
AnswerID: 17783

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 21:36

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 21:36
The nissan club also owns their own land now I hear..

We have 80 acres on out block down here in Melb, perfect for base camp trips!!!
FollowupID: 11161

Sponsored Links