big trip

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 20:34
ThreadID: 4415 Views:2406 Replies:11 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
my wife and i are travelling around ozz for 12 months,we are from melbourne, we are 6 weeks into it, and curently in shellharbour.going north. We are driving a Toyota Prado towing a 21ft jayco heritage with shower and toilet. We have our camping gear with us for the hard to get to places,as the heritage is purely for the tar.So if any one has any sugestions,tips,etc or if anyone is doing the same we would love to hear from you
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GOB vic - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 20:59

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 20:59
dont know much about up north going up there in august but in alice springs big4 is the go can leave van there and do 2 overnighters 1 to chambers pillar and 1 to palm valley
we also stayed at gemtree if you are into fossicking around for stones
enjoy your trip you lucky b`s89 nissan looking foward to august and more travelling
AnswerID: 17708

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 21:30

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 21:30
hey Danny, 6 weeks to Shellharbour!!!!! Wow, thats taking your time

Enjoy the trip anyway dude....
AnswerID: 17723

Reply By: Member - diamond(bendigo) - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 21:40

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 21:40
lucky buggers.cant help you with places to go but all i can sugest is with 12 months take your time and you should see the best australia has to offer.12 months and six states if you include northern teratoriy.that gives you 2 months per state.get hold of each states government visitor web site and they should be able to let you know all the great places to vist.hope you enjoy your hollidays and let us know here if you come across any special placeslooking foward to easter at jamieson
AnswerID: 17725

Reply By: Salty - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 23:09

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 23:09
Danny,
I suggest you try http://groups.msn.com/caravanersforum and you should be able to exchange postings with vanners that are doing or about to do the big oneand the ones that have already done the trip around the block. The site is full of great info. Safe travels. Regards Salty

AnswerID: 17738

Follow Up By: Ester - Friday, Apr 18, 2003 at 23:45

Friday, Apr 18, 2003 at 23:45
At long last there is a Yahoo group Australian caravan setup. I can get the e-mails while travelling.
Group home page: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/auscaravan
Subscribe: auscaravan-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
FollowupID: 11238

Reply By: Paul - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 00:24

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 00:24
we are also heading around Oz at the end of the month, also in a Prado towing a camper Trailer. A week in Cresent Head plus a week in Bryon and then head towards the Cape. May see ya...
AnswerID: 17741

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 18:11

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 18:11
Well I just had a thought you could join a tag along tour. If you are thinking of going to the top you may like to join one of our trips.
We have 3 departure dates which could suit you, see our web site just click on our logo on the bottom of this reply.
All the best
EricCape York Connections
AnswerID: 17790

Reply By: Member - Willem- Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 20:24

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 20:24
Danny, We spent 5 years on the road. Unless you want to follow the coast all the way the best areas and campsites are inland and off the inland roads. The New England Highway is not as busy as the Newell (Australias B-double route) and there are lots of side trips. From Ipswich in Queensland you can follow the inland route all the way to Cairns. There are lots of good free camp sites and fishing spots and the pace is more relaxed. Remember that nearly every town in Australia has an Apex or Rotary or Lions Park with good toilets and picnic facilities, clean water. Save money by staying out of caravan parks when you can. There is so much out there to enjoy. If you need any other assistance you may email me through my website www.kempen.id.au
Enjoy your time.
Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 17800

Reply By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Friday, Apr 18, 2003 at 19:13

Friday, Apr 18, 2003 at 19:13
Call in and say hello on your way thru Cairns. If you behave we may tell you about the secret spots that only the locals know about. ;-)
Cheers Rob
Cairns Offroad Training & Tours
AnswerID: 17903

Reply By: danny - Friday, Apr 18, 2003 at 20:58

Friday, Apr 18, 2003 at 20:58
thanks to all the responses it has been great and we will take in all the ideas and tips, if you see a heritage on the road uhf 40 say hello we will be keeping an eye on this web site. regards danny and rosina
AnswerID: 17910

Reply By: mich - Saturday, Apr 19, 2003 at 09:23

Saturday, Apr 19, 2003 at 09:23
HI DANNY AND WIFE, WE WILL BE DOING OUR TRIP STARTING IN JULY THIS YEAR we should be on the road for 12 - 18 months working etc we have 3 kids with us 10, 8, 3 thay are looking forward to our trip. we did a test run with the 4x4 and roma elegance 19foot last year through WA last year. have a great time big tip: water, use bottle water . each area has different water taste and quality and changeing water can give you a pain in the belly. MY HUBBY SAID HE FIXED THE PROBLE: AMBER LIQUID ONLY> HA
HAVE A GREAT TIME. SEE YA ON THE ROAD AND WAVE.
AnswerID: 17917

Reply By: Ozjeep - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 14:00

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 14:00
Just come back from 12 Months around. Enjoy!! Go to the West, its fantastic. Make sure you get into the Bungle Bungles, Gibb River Road, Kalbarri, Broome Coral Bay, Exmouth and Kunanurra aint bad either. The West was a highlight to us, cant wait to get there again.Free camp spot across the main road from the entrance to the Bungle Bungles, camp there leave caravan there and go into the Bungles for a day or two, breathtaking and great drive. 2-2.5 hours for 50 kms and numerous water crossings. Nothing too hard, just an enjoyable drive and magnificent scenery.
AnswerID: 18182

Sponsored Links