Tour - Yengo National Park

Submitted: Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 15:38
ThreadID: 4618 Views:2071 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Just returned from a great 3 day Anzac weekend trip through Yengo National Park (NSW) and thought others might be interested.

The trip was a 4WD discovery tour organised by the Central Coast region of the NSW National Parks and led by a volunteer ranger.

BYO 4WD, food, camping gear, missus & kids.

Camped in the one spot for 3 days and drove around the tracks with the ranger explaining the sights, aboriginal culture etc.

Very enjoyable around the campfire at night with a couple of beers. Most of us made use of the B-B-Q plate, some cooked in their own camp ovens and a couple had a go at damper.

Family orientated and all the kids had a ball.
Maximum of about 8 vehicles.

There is more than just 4WD stuff organised so if anyone around Sydney or the Central Coast is interested just have a look at the NP web site www.npws.gov.au and look for "guided discovery tours".

We had a great time and are going to get on the mailing list which will advise upcoming tours.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 21:24

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 21:24
Hi John,

Sounds like a great adventure. What were the charges involved, and do they only run tours over long weekends/school holidays?Just Do It!

AnswerID: 18629

Follow Up By: Member - John - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2003 at 08:27

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2003 at 08:27
Hi Glenn,

Cost us $40 per adult for the weekend. I don't think they charge for kids - we don't have any so I'm not sure about that.

I got on to it through their web site which only had the activities for April but during that month there were 3 different 4WD drive activities and heaps of other activities like bushwalking etc, mostly single day stuff.

I'd be suprised if Vic Parks don't do the same sort of thing.

Cheers.

FollowupID: 11646

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2003 at 10:08

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2003 at 10:08
Hi John,

Unfortunately the tours are outsourced to private operators in Vic so I will keep my eye out on the NSWNPS and donate my funds to the NSW economy.Just Do It!

FollowupID: 11652

Reply By: Squid - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 21:32

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 21:32
Hi John,

Glad to hear you had a great weekend. I think I will check that one out myself.

By the way I think that should read www.npws.nsw.gov.au

Cheers. "Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."
AnswerID: 18631

Follow Up By: Member - John - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2003 at 08:29

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2003 at 08:29
Hi Squid,

Oops! Your right. Sorry about that.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 11647

Reply By: Jeff (Beddo) - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2003 at 21:31

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2003 at 21:31
Central Coast Hunter Range Region of the National Parks have a well organised Discovery program and the costs are dirt cheap compared to commercial ventures. $40 for the weekend sounds great for a guided tour. Was this trip to places the general public can go to or did you go past locked gates ? I know the Discovery program will also cater for any group - if you have a group of kids, disabled group, 4WD club etc and you know of a destination, contact the NPWS and if you have enough people to cover NPWS's costs for the guide and fuel they will assist in preparing a trip catered for your needs with a educational touch to it.
PS. Should also contact NPWS at Central Coast about the Big Yango area - permit access only - great views - see my car picture.Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
<- Yengo NP, Central Coast NSW
AnswerID: 18741

Follow Up By: Member - John - Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 16:34

Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 16:34
Hi Jeff,

We camped at what used to be a small cattle property inside the park until National Parks purchased it about two years. i think the name of the property was "Big Yango". We used the bathroom and toilet facilities at the disused homestaed. National parks are now using the homestaed and sheds as a maintenance base for the park.

Yes we did go through a number of locked gates but i think this area is open to the public because there was another small private group around at the same time. However i think there is a $200 deposit on keys. I'm not sure of my facts so you would need to check with NP.

This trip was my first to Yengo so i don't know the area all that well. I tried to relate the tracks we took back to the small Yengo pamphlet put out by NP. It appears not all the tracks are shown on the pamphlet so i really need to have a look at a topo map to work out where we went. i will do that because I'd like to go back and explore some of the other tracks sometime. I do know that we took a track to Mt Yango and climbed a small way up it.

Talking to the voluntary ranger leading the group, apparently the reason Central Coast/ Hunter is so well organised with their discovery program is that they rely a lot more on voluntary guides and are therefore able to have a bigger program. The other NP regions usually rely on a small number of full time paid guides and are not able to offer the same number of activities.

Regards,
John.

Ps. NP are in the process of putting in a couple of new camping areas within the park and apparently are going to open the park up a bit more.

FollowupID: 11840

Reply By: Jeff (Beddo) - Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 20:32

Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 20:32
The park is area now is basically open, $200 deposit on key for security reasons - why the key ? Homestead and infrastructure requires some security and while giving out keys/permit the NPWS have a list of who is down there and can also limit / monitor use of the area. The homestead will also shortly be available to the public - solar power is being connected in the next few weeks. A composting toilet is also being erected at the Blue Gums camping area during the next 2 weeks aswell. NPWS have released a draft management plan for the area and comments have been made - comments and suggestions will be analysed and combined into a final plan of management. When you get a permit the NPWS give you a map of the area, a brochure is being also prepared for this area which will also point out the points of interest around the area. The area was first settled by Europeans back in 1851, though human occupation dates back atleast 6000 years - Mt yengo is also particular significant to the Aboriginal people as the mountain is linked with the Dreamtime - "Biamie" the creator being stepped down from the heavens onto Mt Yengo to commence his the creation of the landscape. Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
<- Yengo NP, Central Coast NSW
AnswerID: 18933

Sponsored Links