Tennant Ck (NT) accomodation & Kimberleys

Submitted: Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 18:10
ThreadID: 4845 Views:2420 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Any recommendations for camping heading across from Mount Isa to the Kimberleys. Thinking of staying at Barkly Homestead (just before Three Ways) one night then the next somewhere up around Elliott or Newcastle Waters just a little further north of Three Ways. Has anyone stayed at any of these locations and what are they like, or can people recommend any other good spots, possibly just a little further north - we do not want to go too far in a day. I am leaving lawn Hill NP and meeting up with 2 other vehicles that are coming thru Mt Isa - they are looking for comfortable day trips enroute to Kununurra - they will have camper trailers whereas I will be quicker with no trailer. Any suggestions on where to stay between Mt Isa and Kununurra.
Second Question just north of Broome is Cape Leveque - is this worth visiting.
Thirdly the Bungle Bungles - anyone recommend how long should you spend here - is 2 days enough ? Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
<- Yengo NP, Central Coast NSW
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Willem- Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 18:38

Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 18:38
Hi Beddo,
You will find lots of offroad camp spots between Mt Isa and Katherine via Three Ways. It is quite safe as there will plenty of other campers around. If you are going to Kununurra then you may take the shortcut to Timber Creek through Top Springs and Victoria River Downs. Camping at Barkley Roadhouse will be just as noisy as camping just off the highway( and it will probably cost you $20 per vehicle). Here are some campsites from Three Ways:....... Stuart Memorial, Churchills Head,Helen Springs(Old roadworks camp up on the hill), (I would not camp near Elliott), Newcastle Waters, Dingo Hill(between Dunmara and Daly Waters), Daly Waters WW2 Airstrip,Gorrie WW2 Airstrip 9km north of Larrimah. From Katherine to Kununurra there is a good campsite ast Sullivans Gorge. If you choose to go through Top Springs then you may camp where you find spot. Maybe at the Victoria River crossing and also in Jasper Gorge. Don't forget the great 4x4 tracks and camps in Gregory NP just west of VRD Station.
I understand that the NT Caravan Parks Association has been putting pressure on the NT Government to bulldoze some of the more popular camp spots so I do not now how accurate my information of 3 years ago will still be. But I spent 5 years on the road full time and camped wherever I found a good spot. Cape Leveque is pretty spot but the track there can be atrocious. We visited the Bungles a long time ago and spent three days there. Of that it took half a day in and half a day out. The tracks may have improved since the '80s but I doubt it. It is quite a spectacular place to visit. Happy travels
AnswerID: 19685

Reply By: Patsy - Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 18:58

Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 18:58
Have visited the Kimberley in September/October last year. We travelled up the Tanami visiting the Bungles and Cape Leveque. One thing we have noticed is that there is a lot of 24 hour stop over spots around the Kimberley - free (probably everywhere else in Mainland Australia but not here in Tasmania). We stayed at one opposite the Bungle Bungle turn off which is located on a creek. A lot of people drop off their caravans and trailers here to travel the 53kms into the Bungles. The journey in takes 2.15 hours to drive in but we found it was quicker coming back out because we knew what to expect (1 hr 50 mins). Camp fees were $9.00 per person per night plus $9 per person Park fee. We stayed only one night walking all the gorges except Picanninie Gorge, so 2 nights should be plenty. There are plenty of other places to camp free in the Kimberley (i.e many places along the Gibb River Road, on the King River near the Wyndam Prison Tree and the list goes on). If you stay in any of the National Parks there is a camp fee payable.Windjana Gorge was $7.50 per person per night.El Questro is a beautiful place to stay but can be quite expensive once you add up Park fees, camp fees and the fees to do/visit some places of interest within El Q. $12.50 per person Park fees, $12.50 per person per night to camp, hire of a tinny with electric motor $150.00 per day or $75.00 for half day and I think it was about $50.00 to tour Chambelain Gorge on the ferry boat. You can charter guides to take you to different places but at a cost.
As to Cape Leveque, this is a 210kms drive north of Broome. We camped at a place called Quondong Point for the 1st night - free. This is on a turn of west from the main road north to Cape L. For your stay at Cape L. you will need to book your stay (we did it from Broome Visitor Centre) and the cost was $64.00 for two nights for two people. The camp ground was very small but the area was well worth the visit. The sunsets were unbeleivable, swimming great and fish to be caught even off the beach. I would go back there anytime. We were not that impressed with One Arm Point though, not after our 2 night stay at the tip of Cape Leveque. At the time we were there the main road to Cape L. was quite corrugated through the centre with very leanie sides. We found it easier to drive on the leanie bits and just swap sides when we go sick of leaning one way. The Shell decorated church at Beagle Bay (on way to Cape L.) was very impressive and if you go through Halls Creek then you simply must check out the high tech. public toilets which has just opened up opposite the BP Service Station. I have never seen anything like them. They were the toilets from the future.
Good luck with your trip.
AnswerID: 19686

Reply By: Jeff (Beddo) - Monday, May 12, 2003 at 20:04

Monday, May 12, 2003 at 20:04
Thanks for the advice, WWII airstrip sounds interesting.Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
<- Yengo NP, Central Coast NSW
AnswerID: 19796

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, May 12, 2003 at 22:45

Monday, May 12, 2003 at 22:45
Jeff,

A reasonable camp site would be the old Frewena Roadhouse site about 50k west of Barkly H'stead, and there are some reasonable camps available just off the bitumen, at the repeater towers across the Barkly. May even be the odd gravel quarry that would be accessible too.

Half your luck going up there, go and see Clive at Timber Ck 'van park.

Hooroo...

AnswerID: 19816

Sponsored Links