NSW South Coast Road

Submitted: Monday, May 26, 2003 at 10:01
ThreadID: 5116 Views:1687 Replies:17 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Ran up the coast road on the way to bleep ney, Stopped at mates place in Tomikin near Mogo, and the amount of Fixed 24/7 speed cameras they have on the coast road now, is criminal!

Saving lives? the areas they are in if you crashed there you need to hand your license in!

Did Sesame St on the way home, and theres still only 3 or 4!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 10:16

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 10:16
Its gotta make you wonder Truckster. Shift those cameras to Sydney (I live here and can't bring myself to call it bleep ney), and you may actually save some lives. God knows how they decide where to spend our money on these things.

BTW, we used to call Melbourne "Miserableton", but I guess we can't talk, anymore.Life just ain't that serious.
Rohan (Sydney)
AnswerID: 21048

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 18:32

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 18:32
...even the bloody weather is "fine" up there, can't get away from it can you!
FollowupID: 13676

Reply By: Rusty - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 10:32

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 10:32
They're not just on the coast road south. It's north and althrough the burbs as well. It's all about the money. They are just collecting more dollars for their super payouts when they decide to retire. Cause I know one thing the money certainly doesn't go back into the road system. If it did we wouldn't have such crappy roads, and we would not need all these blody toll ways. I just heard on the radio that the NRMA did some survey. It would appear that the majority of morons surveyed siad they would pay higher tolls to get to work quicker.

So I guess the tolls are here to stay and we get what we deserve moer speed cameras and more ways to be ripped off!!!!!!

Regards
Rusty
AnswerID: 21050

Follow Up By: bruce.h (WA) - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 11:25

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 11:25
God i dont know what you guys are complianing about WA has 25% of australias roads & olny recieves 12% of the road budget yet we supply 1/3 of Oz s export earnings & yet we dont have 1 toll road get your acts together
regrads Bruce
FollowupID: 13629

Follow Up By: Tony - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 12:10

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 12:10
Look at it another way if no one sped where would 'they' get the money from.

We drivers are our own worst enemy, Ive just done 7500k to the cape and back and not one speeding ticket (more luck than good managment).

The long weekend in June will be very savage in Vic, according to my brother who is in the job.
FollowupID: 13633

Reply By: Member - Geoff & Jen - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 12:25

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 12:25
We are finding here in Qld it is a great money making concern for the government, to spend where they want to spend it, and nothing to do with lifesaving. We have found this out with the way the police have handled our son when he first got his licence. They blatantly lied on two occasions, one for not stopping at a stop sign when he did, and he had witnesses.This was when the police were a few streets back and there was a house in the vicinity where there was dope dealing going on. So they searched his car, did a breath test, when nothing was found or positive, booked him for not stopping at a stop sign. He went to apply for a court hearing and was told by the office girl there was no chance as there were 2 cops it was waste of money so just pay the fine. The other was for speeding when the police were following afar back, had to exceed the speed limit to catch up to him while he was sitting on the speed limit. He had a mate in the car who said he was sitting on the limit, then again 2 cops, 2 kids, no chance. Now he takes our 4x4 ( to him, a farmers car) and drives the same, goes the same places and never been pulled up. So over about 3 months they got in excess of $400 plus money to get a spare point to last him 12months. He isn't the only one coping this so you can imagine the money that is pouring into government hands by untruthful cops. So saving lives is the last thing on the minds of the boofheads running our state and country. Another thing does anyone notice the overtaking lanes are not up to safety standards,especially in Qld, no wonder we have so many headons with drivers who do not know the roads, when the lines are open in stupid places. Now is this life saving???? I too get mad when I see them taking money in by the loads and not putting it into the roads. Jen
AnswerID: 21061

Reply By: Pete G - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 14:37

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 14:37
The New England Highway also gets special attention.

Travelling Sydney to Tamworth there are 5 locations in the 400km. 3 of the 5 work against Nth. bound traffic. 4 of the 5 are in a 100km stretch. (There are then at least another 2 to the Qld Border) Trucks get 4 sets of Speed Cam to the Qld Border.

There are some good locations with down hill runs as well (nothing like honest fund raising eh!!). At the time I saw a report in the paper saying that at one of the locations the Highway Patrol had measured the median speed at 114km's in a 100.

By comparison with about 12 times the traffic the F3 Freeway from Sydney to Newcastle there are 2 in 180km. Same story as Trucksters Sesame St..

AnswerID: 21079

Reply By: Member - Bruce and Anne - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 15:10

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 15:10
At least in NSWthey tell you where the "Flash for Cashs" are here in Qld they hide in the bush and now are putting them on the over taking lanes, so you southerns take care when heading up this way. In case a few didn't know in Qld the truckies use ch 40 uhf and tell each other where the "Flash for Cashs'" are hidden. Take care on the roads and hope to see a few Exploroz stickers around when we head north.
Bruce Looking forward to the end of June,
Darwin via Lawn Hill-Borroloola.
AnswerID: 21088

Follow Up By: Pete G - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 15:46

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 15:46
What?? - Have they got funds these days - far cry from the cardboard cutouts used a few years ago. A bit rich on the overtaking lanes though.

FollowupID: 13654

Reply By: flappan - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 16:03

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 16:03
Don't have a major problem with the fixed cameras. They should be signposted, so if you get caught, you probably deserved it. (there positioning DOES leave a bit to be desired though).

Same as cops setting up radar traps. Apart from where they position them, at least they are doing something. Stopping offenders. That way they at least think . . . oh . . I probably shouldn't do that again.

Mobile Cameras are a complete and utter disgrace. They are NOTHING but FUND raisers. HOW can they be about safety ?????? Whats the point of taking a speeders picture if the bloke has a prang 1km down the road. Pretty pointless. If the bloke had been stopped up the road, a good chance he wouldn't have been speeding further along it.

You can be quite innocently speeding (only needs a couple of kph) and the first you know of it is 3 or 4 weeks later. Wouldn't it be better to know there and then that you did/doing something wrong.

Speed cameras are just a cope out for actually doing something properly.
AnswerID: 21095

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 23:12

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 23:12
"HOW can they be about safety ?????? Whats the point of taking a speeders picture if the bloke has a prang 1km down the road. Pretty pointless"

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!! this has been my arguement for years, would like someone to stick this one to the Cop Minister or Little bleep face Howard.

There was a woman in NSW that got something like 18 fines in 2 weeks at the same spot. she recieved the letters all within ~3 days (cant remember exact details, but it made the news!).... Now how did that slow her down on them 18 occasions???
FollowupID: 13701

Reply By: David N. - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 16:56

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 16:56
Gotta disagree with all of you. It has nothing to do with revenue! Speed kills- to prove it I bet if the speed limit was reduced to, say, 10kph then very few would die. (They might fall asleep, slash their wrists, die from air pollution or whatever but there would be no "speed related deaths"!)

PS I'm seriously thinking of becoming a politician
PPS Look out for flying pigs- one nearly landed on me just a minute ago- I swear!
AnswerID: 21107

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 23:23

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 23:23
I agree. I think all cars should be banned, and everyone take public transport, since that is more reliable and cheaper than owning a car....
FollowupID: 13705

Follow Up By: Prado Boy - Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 22:46

Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 22:46
David N.

If "speed kills" as the authorities are so fond of telling us - then why do very few racing car drivers or racing motorcycle riders die?

I am afraid the whole "speed kills" thing is a cop out by the authorities who refuse to take responsibility for the idiots they license who end up killing people on our roads. Fact is its not speed that kills - but inattentive or poorly skilled drivers who should not be allowed to possess a license in the first place. Few people realise when they hit the roads, that the vehicle they are wielding is a very dangerous missle - even at 10Km/h a car or truck can do significant damage.

The government - rather than telling us "speed kills" and setting up more revenue raising speed cameras - should be training drivers and riders appropriately (before they get their licence) and then again regularly afterwards for them to continue to have it. I work with rider training schools here in Brisbane - and clearly, the riders who come back regularly are better than the hoons you see on tehstreets who do not take a proactive interest in their own safety and that of other road users.

Shape up Australia - get with the program. Wanna decrease the road toll? Train your motorists appropriately and regularly.

Take care out there - and keep the shiny side up!
FollowupID: 13967

Reply By: Steve - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 17:44

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 17:44
On a recent trip Bourke to Tiboobura via Wanaaring did not see any signs for fixed cameras and hope i don't cop a fine for speeding over this part of the planet... there are two on Ourimbah Road, Mosman outside the kids school which are in 40 kph zones just in case all you worried blokes are travelling that way on the June weekend ...
AnswerID: 21114

Reply By: tex1972 - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 19:59

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 19:59
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety/speedandspeedcameras/fixeddigitalspeedcameras/fixedspeedcameralocations/fixedspeedoutsyd.html check out this link it gives you the location of all fixed speed cameras in nsw and the average speed of traffic. best bet is to watch out for the signs, wouldn't hurt to much if they put the money back into the roads instead of internal revenue.
AnswerID: 21127

Reply By: ThePublican - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 20:31

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 20:31
Call it revenue raising, call it a rippoff, call it what ever you like,, the plain and simple truth is IF YOU DONT SPEED you wont cop the fine,,,never mind that the so called road is capable of handeling a higher speed,, or that cars today are built to cruise at a higher speed,,,simply the LAW states the speed limit,,,we EMPLOY politicians to make the laws......
AnswerID: 21131

Reply By: Member - Bonz (Vic) - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 21:08

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 21:08
well at least they signpost them and adverise their locations in NSW and QLD even have seen them in marked cars in NSW, here in fun old Vic we hide them so as not to deter people from speeding rather we budget the revenue as a critical part of the state revenue budget.

They even put them in utes with not so much as a flashlight at the front and the radar unit built into the front bumper.

Makes you go all warm and fuzzy inside doesnt it.

BonzSo many places to go!
So much work to do :0(
AnswerID: 21138

Reply By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 22:13

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 22:13
Damn nearly collected one on the South Gippsland Highway outside Warragul. I was in the right hand lane overtaking a tautliner going around an almost blind right hand bend (divided carriageway!, obscured by a tree and a dip in the road caused by a small bridge over a creek). Just as I emerged from this dip/bend (doing 85 km/h in 100 zone) there they were with the front of their vehicle no more than two feet from the bitumen with the copper between the vehicle and the bitumen. Frightened the bejesus out of me, thank god I had done quite a bit of driving around 'roos (Leichart Hwy, Towwomba-Banana, QLD 3 times/week for 6 months) and steadied the wheel instinctivly, anyone else may have swerved under the tray of the tautliner or collected a fine plus the copper writing it..

Pulled into Warragul and had a little chat to the good folk at the station....
AnswerID: 21151

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 23:25

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 23:25
This is what gets me.

what happens when everyone follows a MARKED cop car... ?? they slow down... What happens when someone SEES a MARKED even Dogbox? They slow down...

So wouldnt having more marked cars on the road slow people (with brains) down?
AnswerID: 21168

Reply By: Member - Ray - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 23:36

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 23:36
Sorry folks! If you speed anywhere YOU DESERVE TO BE CAUGHT AND FINED.
Come to work with me sometime and see a fatal crash and you will slow down.
And NO in 38 years of driving I have never had a speeding fine.
AnswerID: 21173

Follow Up By: Jason (macca) - Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 07:17

Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 07:17
Good call Ray,

have a family member killed by a goose doing 40km over..............I fully support speed camera's and mobile radar.

Statisics in this state (NSW) show that since the introduction of radar and RBT the road toll has dropped from 1100 to 600 a year. Not a bad result.
FollowupID: 13842

Reply By: Avro(Vic) - Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 13:13

Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 13:13
Speed only kills when you have an accident. How about putting ALL the speed fine money back into the roads and get rid of the death traps that are many of our roads. In fact it is not simply speed thats the problem, its inappropriate speed for the conditiions thats the problem, but where are the revenue raisers, in the spots where speed is not likely to cause an accident.

In Vic they have started to sit on the roadworks reduced speed limit areas, even at the weekends when the lazy roadworkers have left tjhe reduced speed signs out and not a worker in sight (and no danger either). If thats not revenue raising I dont know what is. My pet hate is the number of times I slow down for roadworks signs when its only because lazy roadworkers cannot be bothered taking them in at night or weekends.

Vic budget needs speeders, expect them to get even more oppresive.

AnswerID: 21200

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 13:49

Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 13:49
" Vic budget needs speeders, expect them to get even more oppresive. "

Very true, there was an article in the AGE a few weeks ago, stating that the income from speeding during March had dropped to an "alarming" figure, which put the budget or something into doubt! Shows how much they rely on speeding. Next step is to lower speed limits AGAIN to 25kph I reckon!
FollowupID: 13750

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 13:50

Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 13:50
Might be time to head back to QLD.
FollowupID: 13751

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 15:12

Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 15:12
I think the only safe way Gary, is to buy an Island of your own!

Grow food, and use wind for energy for powering the tele!
FollowupID: 13772

Follow Up By: flappan - Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 16:02

Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 16:02
To say outright Speed Kills. is a load of bunkum.

Speed is relative.

A crash at 80kph in a Merc or BMW and chances are you walk away.

Same thing in a Datto 120Y . . . whats the likely outcome.

Within 2kms of my place, we have 7 different speed zones.

40,50,60,70,80,90 and 100 and just up the road a k or so 110kph.

NSW has different School Zone times then does ACT.

You used to be able to tell what speed zone you were in by the lights and driveways, or lack thereof. Means nothing these days.

No wonder people are having accidents, they spend more time worrying about what speed they are doing, then actually watching the road.

Speed Kills . . . Rubbish. I'm not saying it doesn't play a part though.
FollowupID: 13779

Follow Up By: tex1972 - Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 21:31

Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 21:31
about the lazy roadworkers.In NSW a little call to workcover should sort out if the signs should still be up or not, but sometimes road surface plays a part in what speed zone the job site is left under when the "lazy roadworkers" are not there.I can tell you from expierence that some idiot doing 110kph sideways at you when they are supposed to be doing 60 isn't pleasent.It's not a good feeling when you have to pull dead children out of vehicles because the driver though they could safley drive at 140kph.
FollowupID: 13964

Reply By: Member - Bruce and Anne - Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 17:09

Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 17:09
This has got everyone going. Iam on my way back to the Territory in July after 20 years, Iam sure they had speed limits up they then, and now I believe they don't, on the major hi-ways that is, so it is going to be interesting to see how the traffic behaves up there. I know that there population is a lot smaller than most, but they death rate on vehicle accidents is also quite low, interesting.
Bruce. Looking forward to the end of June,
Darwin via Lawn Hill-Borroloola.
AnswerID: 21218

Reply By: David N. - Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 17:22

Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 17:22
I've driven on autobahns in Germany at a steady 160kph- cars constantly overtaking me. It was a very safe and relaxed experience. Two reasons why:
1. Very good roads, well designed and thought goes into the whole process.
2. Very good drivers- well trained and don't expect to hold your licence for long if you drive badly. (badly doesn't JUST mean speeding) The cops here don't seem to be interested in tailgating etc etc as it actually takes some effort. (There are more prangs and insurance claims from this than any other cause!) However look out if you happen to be slightly over some stupid posted speed limit- many of them are totally illogical. Some are too high, many are too low.
I have had many more scary experiences here at much lower speeds than in Deutschland due to hopeless drivers doing everything wrong in the book except speeding- result is the cops don't touch them.
The blanket statement "speed kills" is garbage- it's a whole heap of factors and it's high time the cops realised that. I'll bet if a cop pulled people over regularly for a bit of a talking to about bad driving without writing lots of revenue raising SPEED tickets, he'd probably get a blast and please explain from his superiors- yet he'd be doing far more for road safety- but that doesn't count!
And Ray- I have had a few minor speeding tickets in the last 40 odd years- but have never had a prang in my life- although have hit a couple of 'roos- one at about 35kph!
AnswerID: 21220

Sponsored Links