SUBARU Contacts in ACT

Submitted: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 00:15
ThreadID: 5147 Views:2040 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I an VERY new to offroad travel and I own a Subaru Forester. Are there any clubs near by to Canberra where I can perhaps get some information and help with what I can do, can't do and perhaps how to do in a Subaru.

I have noticed that many people seem to be able to get around most places in a Subaru but I guess not every where (that is the bit I have no idea of).

The amount of equipment that seems necessary for some of these trips also is bewildering (but I guess necessary).

I am a guest member here so perhaps the first thing is to join - are Subaru drivers catered for here?

Thanks for any help,

Richard
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Colin (ACT region) - Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 00:48

Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 00:48
If you join ExplorOz you will be the 2nd Forester ACT member - a very unique position !!!???
I'm not sure if non-members can 'see' the My Rig' info - try and look at my details!
There is no local Subaru Club, but I am a member of the NSW Club based in Sydney. A lot of their trips are within a couple of hours drive.
I'm happy to pass on my knowledge and experiences to you - if you respond to this message I may pass on my E-mail address.
ColinColin - Subaru Forester
- size isn't everything ! -
AnswerID: 21256

Follow Up By: richard - Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 08:50

Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 08:50
Colin, Thnaks for the reply. As you may have gathered I am very new at this and will proceed slowly (experience and cost).

I am thinking my first purchase will be a sump guard - make sense I think.

Is it worth doing a driver training course - does any one cater for Subarus.

I have a few other questions but will take it one step at a time,
ie first get the absolute mandatory equipment (not sure what that is yet)
get the mandatory experience in what I cna and can not do.

Thansk for your reply - it is appreciated.

Richard
FollowupID: 13846

Reply By: Member - Colin (ACT region) - Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 00:59

Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 00:59
Re: 'My Rig'
forgot ! just click on photo signature to see details.Colin - Subaru Forester
AnswerID: 21257

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 17:34

Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 17:34
Richard,
Check out www.aussieoffroad.com.au or www.greatdividetours.com.au both very experienced operators & do driver training near Canberra. They will be able to tell what you can do & need for Subi.
regards
BobRegards Bob
Wish i was still here / Gulf in July
AnswerID: 21297

Reply By: Member - Colin (ACT region) - Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 22:33

Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 22:33
This is the Web site for the Sydney Subaru Club - they have other makes as well. Subaru Club- My contact is colin.johnson69@bigpond.com . As a first step I would advise you to look at their Calender, make contact with the trip leader and try and do a trip with them. They offer driver training and have easier trips for beginers. At least by taking this 'route' you will get a sypathetic response!
In regard to sump guards I have used one of and older 'L' series, but Subaru Fyshwick mentioned to me that a customer had one made at Baxter Engineering in Fyshwick. This is the first and one of the most important mods you will need - the rest is up to you, maybe A/T tyres and different springs like mine? Other gear would be basic recovery gear.Colin - Subaru Forester
AnswerID: 21342

Reply By: richard - Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 23:13

Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 23:13
Thanks all,

Richard
AnswerID: 21345

Reply By: flappan - Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 11:02

Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 11:02
Giday Richard.

There's a mob in QLD called SubiExtreme I think it is, that does a lot of aftermarket stuff for Foresters. Sump Guards, Bullbars, lifts etc etc. Apparently very good and pretty well priced.

A guy on the Overlander Forum has had a fair bit of work done by them and is very happy with his Forester.
AnswerID: 21369

Sponsored Links