Tassie trip

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 12:11
ThreadID: 53029 Views:1711 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Considering a trip to the deep south in a month or two. Can someone inform me if it is ok to take an off road camper from Marrawah to Arthur river, down to Couta rocks, on to Balfour, and then to Corinna? We would then head clockwise right around and back to Devonport. (Say two weeks on the island?).
Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 17:03

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 17:03
Although we didn't do the "Western Explorer" as we were short of time and our rig was too big to cross the Pieman at Corinna, you will have no problems. We did meet people with a camper trailer who had done in 3 tyres - sharp stones embedded in them, but the others that came down that day with a caravan and had no problems thought the youngsters were travelling too fast for the road.

We spent 7 weeks there Feb-April 2006 doing a 'taste of Tasmania' lap around the island as well as a cross cross through the middle. Wonderful. Pictorial trip notes can be emailed. You won't get to see much in two weeks.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 279386

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 23:11

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 23:11
I was just talking to someone who did the Western Explorer when a very new and raw track some years ago in a Nissan Pulsar sedan. If we'd had another week we would have done it and gone back via Savage River and Waratah. Three months would have been more relaxing and touring more comprehensive.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 543639

Reply By: bushnana - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 17:39

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 17:39
Yes. We spent 4 weeks in our off road camper 'doing' the island and didn't have any problems. West coast was brilliant for out of the way camping. Make sure you do the Arthur River cruise to see pristine wilderness. You wont see much in 2 weeks though - take longer if you can as there is so much to see.
AnswerID: 279400

Reply By: PBob - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 18:55

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 18:55
Thanks folks, will do some more research.
AnswerID: 279414

Sponsored Links