Road Advice

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 11:42
ThreadID: 53548 Views:3018 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I am after some feed back on the road from Cooma through Bombala down to Lakes entrance.

Is it caravan friendly and if it is which direction is the best to travel and are there any must not miss spots along the way.

20 ft van LC 100

Thanks,

Matt
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Vince NSW - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 14:11

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 14:11
Matt
Good road all the way was last easter) I would go from cooma to Lakes Entrance, only because it is down hill & you will use less juice.
Vince
AnswerID: 281931

Reply By: Cram - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 14:14

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 14:14
It has been some years since I have travelled the Monaro Hwy and between Cooma and Bombala you would not have no problems towing. Not sure about the road from Bombala to Lakes Entrance.

It is worth considering going from Coom to Bega and then following the Coast line down to Lakes Entrance.

The road between Cooma and Bombala does not offer much more then wide open brown spaces. In my opinion nothing particularly interesting.

If you go down to Bega you get some great country to look at.

The trip down the Brown Mountain is fantastic and the change in topography from the top of the mountain, compared to the plains is great.

Candelo, Tathra, Merimbula and Eden are all interesting places to visit.

AnswerID: 281933

Follow Up By: disco1942 - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 18:54

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 18:54
"It is worth considering going from Coom to Bega and then following the Coast line down to Lakes Entrance."

You would only consider it if you want the "view." The hills are much steeper that and there are more tight curves. The road is all full two lane all the way on the road you are considering.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 546430

Reply By: Member - John G- Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 14:34

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 14:34
G'day Matt

Have travelled both roads from Cooma to Lakes Entrance in the last three months, once with the camper trailer.Cooma to Lakes Entrance via Bombala is a breeze in either direction, but agree that downhill direction will be more fuel efficient. Having said that, the uphill direction is mostly a gentle climb. The one steep section is short and realtively straight.

The Brown Mountain section of Cooma - Bega is short but steep and winding. It is more scenic, but both roads are through some lovely countryside.

Cheers
John
AnswerID: 281937

Reply By: macca172 - Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 08:06

Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 08:06
Matt,

The road I "think" your refering to is the Cann Valley Highway? If this is correct, its the road that runs from Bombala, across the border and joins up with the Princess Highway at the village of Cann River in VIC. I have used this road on many occasions over the years, as I once drove regulary from Sydney to Sale in VIC(about a 9 hour run). These days it is sealed along its entire length. It has the odd bend or two, no great hill climbs or decents to speak off and nothing a caravan couldnt handle. Just one word of WARNING, this is timber country and during weekdays, you will come across logging trucks. Some of these guys drive like bats out of hell and cut the corners, so be alert at all times. Weekends has always been truck free in my experience. Some great scenery, good camping spots on the river and keep your eyes open and you will see various native animals. The biggest Wedge Tailed Eagle I have ever encounted was on this road. I stopped for a streatch and he was sitting on a fence about 10 metres from me and didnt bad an eyelid for the entire duration I was there. In the flat country on the NSW side, Wombats will be encounted from time to time. No fuel available between Bombala and Cann River. Hope this is of assistance.

Macca
AnswerID: 282041

Reply By: Member - Matt L (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 10:09

Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 10:09
Some good feed back and very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt
AnswerID: 282048

Sponsored Links