Gregory National Park

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 16:58
ThreadID: 53669 Views:1674 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
We're planning a trip to the NT for later this year and I would be really interested in hearing from anyone who has travelled on the various tracks in the Gregory National Park recently.

We're hoping to enter the park on the Humbert Track, then down the Wickham around to the Broadarrow and then to Bullita Homestead, Bullita Stock Route and leave the park near Timber Creek.

I hope someone has been there in the last few years and can give me some info.

Viv
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: David from David and Justine Olsen's 4WD Tag-Along - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 17:52

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 17:52
Great 4wding, I have been on the Humbert and Bullita SR

We include them in an across the top trip. No facilities to speak of, great tracks. Check with ranger at Timber Creek to see when tracks open as they close until maintenance (mostly burning) is done. I'll see if I can find u some pics and stuff.
AnswerID: 282533

Follow Up By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 18:06

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 18:06
Thanks David,

Look forward to the photos etc.

We tow a camper trailer so would you advise we take it over these tracks or leave it somewhere while we spend time in the park?

Or if we entered the park from the Timber Creek end, rather than the south, could we take the camper as far as Bullita Homestead campground and leave it there while we did day/overnight trips? This would mean going over the same parts of some of the tracks but we are keen to see as much as we can.

Thanks again for your reply.

Viv
FollowupID: 547057

Follow Up By: David from David and Justine Olsen's 4WD Tag-Along - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 19:29

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 19:29
while it is possible to get a camper through, it is a bit tough in places. You could leave it a Bullita
FollowupID: 547075

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 18:04

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 18:04
Hi Viv

Although this isnt new, most of the tracks should be now as they were found then. It will give you an idea anyway.

Gregroy National Park

Cheers

AnswerID: 282536

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 18:05

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 18:05
Ahhhhh my typing is atrocious
FollowupID: 547056

Follow Up By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 18:10

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 18:10
Hello Willem,

Thanks....lots of interesting reading there.

We're also going to visit Gurig NP and I see you have a piece on that as well.

All the best

Viv
FollowupID: 547058

Reply By: Member - Chris R (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 20:19

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 20:19
HI Viv we went there as a 'side trip while waiting for the GRR to open in 2007. Would have been mid April I guess. Entered from Timber Ck end.

At that time the roads in the park beyond Bullita were closed as was the road to Limestone Ck camp. Thus we were restricted to camping at Bullita. There was one other camper when we arrived but they were gone by the time we returned to set up. Bullita is just OK as a camp - ie a bit of rubbish around and clearly no maintenance.

The grass was high on the Limestone Creek track and potential fire issue. (We travelled it until confronted by locked gate.)

The homestead is well worth a visit and was cool respite from the very hot sun.

River level was high at Bullita, the fording track was indeterminate and the ford was closed.

So it was pretty much camp, go on walks to Limestone Ck camp, and up to the Homestead and cattle yards.

Stayed there a couple days, suffered fallout from the burn off across the river.

Friends of ours did the track from the south-east entry, up north to Bullita, and out to Timber Ck. They loved it. Hence our stopping there.

Wish you better luck. Believe we should have arrived a month later.

Cheers
Chris
AnswerID: 282553

Follow Up By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 20:29

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 20:29
Thanks Chris,

We will be there in Aug/Sept so hopefully the tracks will be open then.

It seems the simplest way is going to be enter from Timber Creek end and make base camp at the homestead campground, then do trips from there so no towing through the more difficult parts.

Years ago I read "Beyond The Big Run" written by Charlie Schulz about his life and times in the area. I'm keen to have a good look at the country he wrote about.

Thanks for the best wishes and information

Viv
FollowupID: 547089

Sponsored Links