Members , would you like a TRIPS UNDERTAKEN section like MY RIG ?

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 16:48
ThreadID: 54084 Views:3472 Replies:9 FollowUps:23
This Thread has been Archived
Like a lot of other members , I often go into other people's MY RIG section to see what they use in the bush .

I would love to see a similar section members could fill out called , TRIPS UNDERTAKEN ( or some such ). We could see what sort of trips other members go on and member message them for info on a particular trip they have done .

Maybe have the following info :

Date of trip ......................
Itinerary ..................................................................
Comments ..................................................................

Does anybody have any suggestions about this . Feel free to poo poo the idea as well .

Willie .
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 17:44

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 17:44
Willie,

That sounds a good idea.
However i would like to see where non members go and no doubt they might like to know where members go.

I would like to see it more open to the whole forum.

In a way the information is there, in places and treks, but to ask the person what they experienced would be helpful and up to date. It might also inspire more to get out there. A few photos would also make the trip report a bit more interesting.

This might also help with the "places" index with a brief description of where you have been.

If you don't want to disclose your favorite trip you don't have to put the trip on the site.

Now all you have to do is get David to have a look at the idea and if he likes it put it on the "To Do List"

Wayne
AnswerID: 284763

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 18:00

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 18:00
Hi Wane ,

"However i would like to see where non members go and no doubt they might like to know where members go.
I would like to see it more open to the whole forum."

Then nobody would bother to become members and the EO team would lose a lot of income . There must be an incentive to become a member .

Willie
FollowupID: 549512

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 18:11

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 18:11
Willie,

In a waY I can see that members would have and advantage to use MM to find out about trips. They could do that now.

What I was thinking was to open to all. You might have more looking at the site and this can onlY help with increase membership.

WaYne
FollowupID: 549517

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 18:21

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 18:21
WaYne ,

Members cannot see where other members have been now , so whY would theY just ask them just on the off chance they have been on a particular trip ?

I would not want my rig details available to the general population . That will cause an uproar from non members now eh ! Willie's an elitist , a snob etc etc blah blah blah .

Cheers ,

Willie
FollowupID: 549522

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 18:27

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 18:27
Willie

I am a 'non member' and can see your rig details so not sure what your concerns are

ARB steel bull bar
Rhino alloy / plastic roof rack ( 6'x4' )
6 x 8.5 " rims with Coopers LT 265 / 75 R 16 AT, 10 ply
FollowupID: 549524

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 18:44

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 18:44
Well , I'll be buggered !

That means that all people will be seeing the TRIPS UNDERTAKEN data , so what are WaYne and I on about .

I guess it's just the fact that non members cannot post this info that will be the problem .

Cheers ,

Willie .
FollowupID: 549532

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 07:32

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 07:32
Willie,

And therefore a logical reason for people to join up!!!

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 549639

Reply By: Member - Barnesy (SA) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 17:49

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 17:49
Good idea Willie.
AnswerID: 284765

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 17:57

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 17:57
Barnesy ,
Did you have the plug in the wrong way like me ?
FollowupID: 549511

Follow Up By: Member - Barnesy (SA) - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 03:22

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 03:22
I tried connecting the cable to the gps both ways and it didn't make any difference. Are you saying your explorist 500 now works with oziexplorer? I'm still trying without success.

How do you connect the bsb plug to your laptop? Do you plug it straight into a female bsb port on the laptop or do you have a connector and plug it into a serial port?

Do you have the gps calibration settings on "magellan other" or some other setting?

Thanks

Barnesy
FollowupID: 549634

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 10:40

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 10:40
Barnesy,
I just emailed your hotmail address with my phone number . Ring me and I will run through my set-up which is working perfectly .
Willie .
FollowupID: 549680

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 17:51

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 17:51
Willie,

I reckon you've mooted a great idea. Even if it was as simple as date name of route taken ( ie 2004 - Canning / Gunbarrel etc). It may also promote people to add to the appropriate Trek notes as they go. It would be a great complement to the rig page. Nice one.

Mick.
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 284766

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 18:05

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 18:05
Maybe Members can have a Blog Spot in the My Rig section and Visitors can have one for a fee

I have a website and as you know, you can look there...:-)))

Cheers
AnswerID: 284771

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 18:24

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 18:24
It would be a lot easier on the site , especially for computer cretins like me . What's a blog anyway ? Is it an mud stain ?
Willie .
FollowupID: 549523

Follow Up By: Willem - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 18:35

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 18:35
Google 'Blog', Sir Willie, and all will be revealed.
FollowupID: 549528

Follow Up By: Footloose - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 18:35

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 18:35
Willie, when did you become an elitist?
An aboriginal art/artifact lover does not an elitist make.
Oh I see, it's the TOYOTA....fair enough :))
Good idea, whether private or public by the way.
FollowupID: 549529

Follow Up By: Footloose - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 18:36

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 18:36
Willem, I don't think there's enough space on the server for all your trips, is there ? :)))))
FollowupID: 549531

Follow Up By: Willem - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 19:00

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 19:00
Ahhh Footy....and I have only scratched the surface....LOL
FollowupID: 549535

Reply By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 18:29

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 18:29
Sounds good Willie!

I'm a non poo poo person.

Ian
AnswerID: 284777

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 19:28

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 19:28
Sounds like a good idea. I'd support it for sure. Be nice if you could also add a few photos to each trip. As they say a photo paints a thousand words.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 284787

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 19:41

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 19:41
That would be even better if people took photos as good as you do Mr W.
FollowupID: 549550

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 20:18

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 20:18
Appreciate the comments Willie. Just need a new camera now seeing as I buggered my current camera big time. They don't bounce too well.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 549557

Reply By: Izey76 - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 19:54

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 19:54
Sounds like a great idea Willie, it would be a great reference for planing future trips and the like for yourself and I believe it should be kept to members privilages only so that it encourages more people to join this very informative and great club of like minded people

Cheers

Clint
AnswerID: 284794

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 21:15

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 21:15
Willie

You blokes all seem to know each other but i will put my two bobs worth in amongst you anyway......that is, I think that it is a good idea.....secondly from a members point of view I feel that some "special treatment" to members may encourage others to pay the membership fee.........

irrespective if the site is commercial or otherwise I pay a membership simply because it is my way of supporting the Exploroz team...it is an excellent forum to information exchange

and there is no need for non members to spit the dummy over my comment...I am not criticising them at all, implied or otherwise...their contribution is also very valuable to all members and non members alike.....my membership is supply a show of support in my fashion

and yes I do look at "members" rigs at times, particularly after a post of theirs that I find interesting and I look simply because their outfit may give me an insight into their experience or perhaps better put, their prepardness for remote travel..and the odd idea

in a way it sort of puts some credibiity into some of their comments and what they tackle.......and I have at times made direct contact if I feel there can be some common ground to share something

Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 284824

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 22:04

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 22:04
Very eloquently put Mr B. , my feelings entirely .

Perhaps I really should look forward to those discussions around the camp fire at Cue .

Willie .

FollowupID: 549592

Follow Up By: Crackles - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 23:12

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 23:12
Bungarra as a regular non member contributer I think you & other members totally misunderstand us. We don't want 'Member Rigs' and have little interest knowing where everyones been. I don't feel the need to post all my exploits as if it were a competition or list every accessory on my car like an advertising glossary. I doubt if this feature was added that membership would rise much if at all :-))
Making direct contact just between 2 members may just detract from the forum with less discussion for all to see, particularly for newbie's that are nervous to post a similar question.
As an example if you as a member sends a private message to another asking about a trip to the High Country they have listed you will get one opinion. Submit a new post on the Forum about the same subject & you'll get a dozen responses quite possibly more up to date & very likely a few Visitors will contribute as well, possibly even I who was up there 4 days ago ;-)

Cheers Craig.............
FollowupID: 549617

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 23:43

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 23:43
Planning on it Willie.......coming back from the Kimberley only 4 days before...

the timing is difficult and therefore causing a few issues getting someone back on the farm ........ to release me to go again....working on it

regards
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 549622

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 08:15

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 08:15
Craig ,

I am impressed that you seem to know what non members want . Next time EO staff need information on non member requirements , they need only contact you for advice .

I think you are losing site of the original question here . It is not an argument about members and non members egos , it is a proposition about enhancing the members page to make it more interesting for them .

Your comment that members using direct contact will detract from the site is a bit far fetched . Has MEMBER RIG stopped members asking questions on the site about gear for their cars ? NO it has not .

As a non member it will not concern you too much , so just relax and let us do our thing .

Willie
FollowupID: 549650

Follow Up By: Crackles - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 22:29

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 22:29
No need to be impressed Will as it's pretty simple really, if any non member wants a Rig Pic they simply join up. If they dont join they obviously don't want one. Somehow I dont think Dave & his crew will need to contact me :-)
When you posted "Does anybody have any suggestions about this... Feel free to poo poo the idea as well" I didn't realize you had already loaded the gun ready to shoot down non members if we did ;-)
I have no doubt many members would like a trip feature as you suggest, but I doubt bungarra's suggestion it "may encourage others to pay the membership fee" would have much impact, we will no doubt see.
Cheers Craig..............
FollowupID: 549820

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 07:20

Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 07:20
Craig ,

" We don't want 'Member Rigs' and have little interest knowing where everyone's been. I don't feel the need to post all my exploits as if it were a competition or list every accessory on my car like an advertising glossary."

Yes , members are all stupid egotists and you are the one clever , superior person , who can see it and rise above such pettiness - bully for you Craig .

You seem to be able to only think of yourself as a non member . Why don't you think of yourself as an ExplorOz "person".

Willie .
FollowupID: 549852

Follow Up By: Crackles - Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 11:56

Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 11:56
Jeez sorry Will I didn't realize I'd hit so close to the mark until I opened up your Rig Pic :-)))
Anyone with "Hot & Cold running blondes" would have to have an ego wouldn't they? :-)
==================================
ARB steel bull bar
Rhino alloy / plastic roof rack ( 6'x4' )
6 x 8.5 " rims with Coopers LT 265 / 75 R 16 AT, 10 ply
6 x 6.5" rims with B'stone 661 . 235 / ? R 16
Kaymar rear bar and wheel carrier and flood light
Recovery front - two Outback Ideas tow eyes
Recovery rear - solid billet Hayman Reece insert with shackle
Milford cargo barrier
Window tint ( darkest legal )
Michel's Sacks water crossing bra
ARB long range tank ( 270 litres total )
ARB front and rear difflocks
Safari snorkel with Donaldson pre-cleaner
ARB compressor with extra length hose for trailer
Breather on Diffs and gearbox - not on transfer case as engine had to come out for this to be added
Third battery
Inverter
Honda 4 stroke generator
Battery charger - three stage , 15 amp , smart charger .
ARB heavy duty springs
OME shocks
Hvy duty torsion bar - wound up .
Polyair bags on rear
ARB front suspension arm re-enforcing bracket
Hella Predator HID lights ( which leak like a sieve in creek crossings )
Autofridge 73 litre fridge / freezer (eutectic )
Waeco 65 litre
Outback drawers / shelves + fridge slide
Middle seats out - replaced with aluminium cargo platform
Warne 9500 lb winch + 40m braid rope
30 m Braid rope winch extension
Maxtrax thingies allways on the roofrack
Glind Shower with roof rack attachment for head
Black Duck canvas seat covers
Tyre Pliers and BIG patching kit
Magellan FX 324MAP colour GPS - ext aerial
Bluetooth GPS , Fujitsu Laptop with OziExplorer
GME TX-3400 UHF radio
Nokia CDMA with external aerial on bull bar
Two stage hydraulic jack with screw out extension , wood base and 3" thick wood ramp
Bushtracker 16 ft caravan with hot and cold running blonds.
FollowupID: 549891

Reply By: Gramps (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 00:04

Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 00:04
Willie,

LOL stop stirring up the non-Member types. You know how sensitive they are :)))

Good idea though ..... the Trips Undertaken bit.

AnswerID: 285049

Sponsored Links