Cordillo Downs Feedback

going from innamincka to birdsville in june-july school hols towing offroad jayco first big trip,what is the roads like will i be able to get through.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 10:35

Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 10:35
The road varies according to conditions at the time and the best advice I can give is to keep your eye on the Roads Report accessible from the Forum Home Page.

Also closer to travel time ring the police at Birdsville who may be able to give advice as to changes occuring at that time.

Generally, the road is ok, with some rocky sections and it would pay to plan a stopover along the route.

Have a look at the Treknotes for Cordillo Downs for further information.

P.S. Many ExplorOz trekkers will be about during this time as we are holding our National Gathering at Innamincka during this time.

An alternative route between Birdsville and Innamincka is the Walkers Crossing track. This is the preferred route used by "locals" if weather conditions are right. (No rain)

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 285275

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 11:10

Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 11:10
Yep, like Sandman says......

Why not incorporate the EO get-together in your travel plans....you'll get to put a lot faces to the names you see on here all the time and the chances are, there'll be various people heading off in all directions after the event is over. I think the "official" days are in the early part of the first week of school holidays (for SA and NSW anyway.....not sure when Victoria, Qld and WA holidays are scheduled), so you may be able to fit it all in and have a great time.....

Cheers

Roachie
FollowupID: 550098

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 12:50

Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 12:50
Spraker,

And to expand on Roachie's comments a little, there is no distiction between members and visitors. All are free to join the gathering.
There will be a myriad of side trips from Innamincka out to the Dig Tree, Coongie lakes, etc. and you would be most welcome to "join a convoy" as I suspect most trips will turn out to be.

Have a look under Member Trips/Gatherings for more details.

Join the "family".

I suspect the biggest hassle will be getting a front row seat around the camp fire:-))

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 285319

Reply By: GREENDOG - Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 19:40

Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 19:40
If i was you i would go Walker's Crossing way instead of driving on stones via the Cordillo Downs trk.cheer's GREENDOG
AnswerID: 285612

Reply By: Isuzumu - Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 19:53

Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 19:53
The start of the Gathering Wednesday 9th July is in the last week of Queensland school holidays, hence if we get out there we will have to leave on the 10th to get home. But I am sure there will be a few there before the due date so we will get to say hello.

Cheers Bruce.
AnswerID: 285615

Reply By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 20:07

Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 20:07
Spraker,

We came from Birdsville to Innamincka on the Cordillo Downs road last September . Not far South of Cordillo Downs we crossed the border onto the Arrabury Road and down to Nappa Merrie, the Dig Tree and then to Innamincka. That road was in really good condition and we had a very nice bush camp along the way in a grove of trees. Road conditions change all the time but if you take it easy you should be fine. I would recommend going via Cordillo Downs just to take the time to walk around and inside the Shearing Shed. It's an amazing place. Cadelga Waterhole and ruins are worth a stopover too.

Viv
AnswerID: 285621

Sponsored Links