Diamantina National Park

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 08:48
ThreadID: 54293 Views:7061 Replies:5 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
I am going to be visiting the Diamantina Lakes area in May, comming up from Birdsville. There are several routes into the park, three from the Diamantina Developmental Road and two from Boulia. Anyone got an opinion on which way is the most scenic ? When we leave we will be heading north and east to Lark Quarry, Opalton and Winton.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: AdlelaideGeorge - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 10:54

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 10:54
Hi

We went into the Park last year. We drove down from Mt Isa, Boulia then into the Park. We came out to Bedourie via a southern exit from the Park (I don't have a good map with me) but that drive takes you through some great country and through a station - right past the front door! Tha road/track comes out on the road from Farrars Creek - it heads weat and intersects with the road going northe to Boulia. HAVE A SWIM IN THE TOWN POOL AT Bedourie-it's amazing!

Their is a more direct track to Bedrourie from the park-from the campsites you'll have to backtrack and take a road that eventually comes out on the Boulia-Bedourie road.

I'd say all these roads are remote and interesting and you'll enjoy any of them.

Happy days

George
AnswerID: 285933

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 12:59

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 12:59
Thanks George, It looks like interesting country and with the fresh water up that way at the moment the bird life should be great later on.
FollowupID: 550940

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 11:57

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 11:57
Hi when we go into DL we go from Birdsville up towards Bedourie, about 22 klms south of Bedourie we turn onto the Windorah Road and when we come to the NO. 3 Bore (can't remember how far that is) we turn north up towards 'Springvale' and 'Corrabulka' the properties that George mentions above. If you don't have long range tanks for fuel it may be necessary to go into to Bedourie to top up with fuel (we used to do that before the long range tanks), mostly because we'd be returning to Birdsville. There are some nice drives to do when you get into DL. It is a long way in just to stay one night - we always stay about a week. To leave you can go back to Bdv, or Bedourie or up to Boulia or up through Old Cork and into Winton. We don't camp at the first little waterhole known as Gum Hole (good yabbies there usually) but go and camp at Hunters Gorge (there is a long drop dunny with a magic view of the area). As there is a minor flood in the DL at the moment you will need to be armed for flies and mosquitos - it always make a huge difference to the enjoyment of camping (and fishing) there to have a fully screened area for eating meals in - and sitting in and reading. It takes all day to get there so to camp one night and then spend all the next day driving out seems such a waste of time. There's so much to explore - climb to the top of Hunters Gorge, look for caves, fish, meditate, do the 75 klm circuit of surrounding country, great photos, plenty of pelicans to watch you fishing. Good spot to put a small tinnie in and explore the other side of the Lake - heaps of brolgas nesting. Take some firewood in with you - and don't imagine finding any between No. 3 Bore and DL (wait until you see the country there) either!
I think it's one of the 'best' places, but I am biased. I will also be in Birdsville when you arrive there, so come find me - it won't be hard.
AnswerID: 285944

Follow Up By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 12:16

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 12:16
Hello Ruth,

Don't mean to hijack the original post but we'll be heading up to Diamantina NP later this year (August) and hope to be coming from the Haddon Corner road. Can you enter the park on the road that passes Palparara Stn, or do you either have to head a bit further west to the road that heads north near Monkira Stn, or is it better to take the road you mention?

Thanks Viv
FollowupID: 550929

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 12:57

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 12:57
Thank you Ruth, appreciate the info. I am also interested in Viv's question about the roads from the south. i will also be comming up from Haddon's corner but will replenish at Birdsville on the way. I will certainly ask around when I am at the campground.
FollowupID: 550937

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 17:43

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 17:43
Hello there - yes you can if you wish - totally up to you. Lot depends on where the rain/water is at the time - and the state of the roads also. I'll be around in August, Viv, and will have been travelling up there a fair bit so should be 'in the know'! You have a long way to travel without fuel.
Yes, Kiwi, Bob Y. does live slightly to the north of the DL and has great information on the area - he might just be lurking somewhere tonight too, knowing him!
FollowupID: 551008

Reply By: Bros 1 - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 15:31

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 15:31
Kiwi Kia,
Went from Winton to Boulia via Old Cork, Hunters Gorge and Gum Hole a couple of years ago. Camped at Old Cork on the bank of the Diamantina for a few days and caught several nice Yellowbelly. Very tasty. Used prawns for bait. Bring your fly veil. Roads very good at that time. You will go past Old Cork homestead on your way to Lark Quarry.
Cheers,
Bros
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 285972

Follow Up By: Bros 1 - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 15:35

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 15:35
Kiwi Kia,
I think member Bob Y comes from that area. Send him an MM.
Cheers,
Bros.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 550968

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 19:15

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 19:15
Hi Bros 1,

I can't find Hunters Gorge or Gum Hole on my Hema map. Are they local features in the park ?

Thanks KK.
FollowupID: 551020

Follow Up By: Bros 1 - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 19:30

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 19:30
Kiwi Kia,
Both just off the road from the park to Boulia.
Probably have to get National Park map of area to pinpoint.
Cheers,
Bros.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 551025

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 19:35

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 19:35
Thanks Bros.
KK
FollowupID: 551027

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 16:01

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 16:01
Not been to the Lakes, but Lark Quarry - what a place ! - glad to hear you'll drop in there - worth every inch of the drive - the road to Winton from there is excellent gravel - smooth as (or was, last June). The caravan park on the north edge of Winton was good and the bush poet in residence there (Milton Taylor) was a real treat round the fire at night ..... have a good 'un.
AnswerID: 285976

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 19:26

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 19:26
Thanks Darian, Looks like I may have to stay in the area a while and soak up some local atmosphere.
FollowupID: 551024

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 08:15

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 08:15
We stayed at the Matilda park last May and agree wholeheartedly with Darian's comments about the park and Milton Taylor!
And Lark Quarry is worth every minute of the drive!!!!

Cheers

Brian
FollowupID: 551148

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 08:43

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 08:43
Thanks Brian, I may have to stay up that way a little longer then I had anticipated.
FollowupID: 551155

Reply By: davo.l - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 20:10

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 20:10
Hi all,
heading to Diamantina NP ourselves in June. Heading from Brisbane, we were going to go via Windorah, but I saw an article about a good drive from Winton to Diamantina. can anyone advise which would be the better way as far as scenery and interesting driive goes?
We plan to spend at least a few days, then on to Boulia and beyond.
Cheers
Davo.L
AnswerID: 286203

Sponsored Links