Desert dog......

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003 at 17:03
ThreadID: 5503 Views:5195 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Gday ,just thought some readers may consider travelling with a pet so heres my experience. Just back from 6 week trip through Camerons cnr, Innamincka, Birdsville, Simpson Desert (french line), up through Finke, Alice Springs, West Macdonnell Ranges (Mereenie Loop) Kings Canyon & Uluru then back via Stuart Hwy and along the Murray........ all done with a blue cattle dog!!! Only place we couldnt take him was Uluru Nat. park so he stayed in campground. Camped in caravan parks in towns but mainly bush camped the rest. Glad we had him with us, kept dingoes away at night and unsavoury characters away from the truck. Before anyone asks, he is well trained & will not to eat unless told (prevents baiting), & never free roamed to annoy other campers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: nadia - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003 at 19:29

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003 at 19:29
Can you take a dog through the Simpson Desert? I thought it was National Park. I would be interested to know where you bush camped on your trip through central Australia and around Cameron's Corner.
AnswerID: 22804

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 10:19

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 10:19
dogs ,to my knowledge, are not allowed on or in national parks. The reasons are obvious..they wander away and cannot find there way back and left to turn feral. Feral dogs are IMO worse than dingoes.Richard
FollowupID: 15079

Follow Up By: sean - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 14:11

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 14:11
Feral horses, cats, dogs, pigs, buffalo, rabbits and others have all taken their toll. There is no point in banning dogs from devils marbles becuase the only other animal there is cats.

But cane toads in Kakadu, and all other areas they invade, will do more damage than all the dogs in history. The quoll now faces extermination.

There will be no point in banning dogs soon. Dogs, crocs, toads and horses may be the only critters left in Kakadu.

Sean
FollowupID: 15107

Follow Up By: Alex H - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 16:06

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 16:06
Feral dogs or feral dog/dingo crosses are definitely worse than dingo's. The reason is that dingo's don't have the pack instinct that domestic (and therefore feral) dogs have and are generally solitary or in family groups, whereas feral dogs run in large(r) packs.
FollowupID: 15119

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 12:22

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 12:22
Hi Huntin,

Your post has obviously raised some concerns about taking your dog into national parks. eg. Simpson Desert, Kings Canyon (Watarrka NP), Finke Gorge NP, West McDonnell Ranges NP.

For the sake of clarity and so other readers don't run off with the idea that you can take pets into these areas can you explain how you managed. I'm assuming that around Alice, you either left the dog in a CVP and visited the local NP's on day trips???

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 22875

Reply By: sean - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 14:05

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 14:05
In the NT, there is a difference between state and commonwealth managed National Parks.

The rules that apply to Uluru and Kakadu dont apply to the other parks. You have to pay to get into Kakadu and Uluru but not the others. There are many other differerences. YES, dogs are allowed into some locations but it is very restricted so dont assume you will ok with pooch. Check with the rangers.

Sean
AnswerID: 22886

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 17:14

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 17:14
Big issue this one. There has been a big debate over dogs and camping in another forum (yahoo campertrailer group). There's them that love 'em and take them everywhere and there's them that don't want dogs anywhere near their chosen camp site. And never the twain shall meet.Talk is cheap ...
Rohan (Sydney)
AnswerID: 22905

Reply By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 17:55

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 17:55
Just to add a bit more to this I am not saying "dont take your dogs away with you" rather, NPWS have applied rules for reasons and we as responsible 4wd'ers should obey or risk losing access to certain areas.

And further, I have friends involved with feral pest culling and I hate hearing about a domestic dog/s having to be shot just because it was on a National Park and his registration was tag was years out of date ( you can tell be the colour). This is the end result of an irresponsible dog owner.
Our family has a dog and my kids would be heart broken if their beloved fried became loss because it escaped from its leash, the youngest accidently let it go, it wandered of etc etc and we had to abandoned it to die a painfull death ie thirst/stavation or worse, devoured by a larger carnivore.

Richard
AnswerID: 22913

Reply By: huntin - Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 09:27

Thursday, Jun 19, 2003 at 09:27
This is what we did...... We checked the Deserk Park Pass handbook and found the only place which actually said no dogs was the Qld section on the Simpson, so the dog stayed in the vehicle over the QAA line (one day trip). The SA areas never said specifically no dogs. Camerons Cnr to Innamincka we stayed along the bore track ($10 access via Bollards Lagoon Homestead). Innamincka Regional Reserve he was allowed. We camped 2 nights along the French line crossing the desert. Whenever we camped he was never off a chain. Mt Dare homestead allowed dogs. The West Macdonnell Ranges we explored in a day and the dog stayed in the vehicle while at the usual stops (Simpsons gap, stanley chasm etc). Kings Canyon he was allowed in the resort camping area, and as far as the carpark on the Canyon walk. Yulara campground at Uluru allowed dogs also (this was the only place he was left chained for a few hrs each day). Obviously it depends on your dogs behaivour as to how you will get on. If the dog can stay chained everywhere you go, you will have no probs. There is no way our dog caused any more damage than we did peeing behind the truck. Dingo tracks and camel tracks were everywhere along the French line, and we enjoyed the security of our dog's presence while travelling alone.
AnswerID: 22966

Sponsored Links