Where to go ?

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 21:12
ThreadID: 55816 Views:2065 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I'm planning a 3 week holiday in July (winter) from Sydney. I'm going to hire a camper trailer & take my wife & 2 young kids.
I know 3 weeks ain't that long but any suggestions on a route I could take to head north out of the cold & give the kids a good time?
I very open to sugestions but thinking maybe ayers rock & up to Darwin or cairns ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - sdr00y (Beecroft) - Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 22:09

Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 22:09
How many km are you planning on doing each day? Where are you likely to want to stay? Camping in the trailer for free or low cost, in caravan parks etc. What sort of activities are you planning on doing? Fishing, swimming, tour of towns, just driving. Answering these questions would give us a better idea of what sort of trip to put together for you!

Try this one for size.

Sydney, Muswellbrook, Quirindi, Breeza, Curlewis, Gunnedah. Sleep the night.

Gunnedah, Narrabri, Moree, Mungindi, Thallon, Nindigully, St George, sleep the night.

St George, Mitchell, Morven, Augathella, Tambo, sleep the night.

Tambo, Blackall, Barcaldine, Longreach, sleep the night. Check out the stockman's hall of fame, Qantas museum, school of the air. Sleep the night.

Longreach, Winton, Cloncurry. Sleep the night.

Cloncurry, Burke Wills roadhouse, Gregory river, lawn hill or Adel's Grove. Sleep for four or five nights. Check out Lawn Hill National Park, Adel's Grove, Riversleigh dinosaurs. Have a fish, have a swim.

Lawn Hill, Gregory River, Barkly Highway, Mount Isa. Sleep the night. Check out the Mount Isa tourist info centre, maybe a mine tour. Sleep the night.

Mount Isa, Boulia, Bedourie. Sleep the night.

Bedourie, Windorah, Quilpie. Sleep the night.

Quilpie, opal mines, Eulo, Cunnamulla. Sleep the night.

Cunamulla, Bourke, Nyngan, Nevertire, Narrowmine, Dubbo, sleep the night. Check out the zoo. Sleep the night.

Dubbo, Orange, Bathurst, Sydney.

How's that? It doesn't quite fill in your three weeks, but add in a side trip here and an extra night there and you could fill three weeks.

Seriously, just get out a map of Aus and set out a few places to go and get out there and see it.

Hope this helps.

BTW did similar to this trip with three kids (8, 5 and 9 months) and we all had a ball.

Cheers
sdr00y

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 294156

Follow Up By: ss--ss - Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 08:15

Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 08:15
Thanks sdr00y !! this is what I'm looking for Cheers..
We would stay at caravan parks & interested in things like swimming visiting towns etc.
FollowupID: 559998

Follow Up By: Dunco (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 15:49

Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 15:49
Would be a good trip...Outback QLD is fantastic !!!
I loved Mt Isa and Boulia and if you could get to Boulia in June they have their Camel races...a great weekend (3rd weekend in June I think)

And I live in Sydney.
FollowupID: 560038

Reply By: Bware (Tweed Valley) - Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 09:32

Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 09:32
I think 'give the kids a good time' is the defining point. Either you want to do stuff you want to do and 'manage' the kids, or it is about the kids. Loads of driving, towns, museums, cafes, etc is not kid friendly. If you really want to go that far North, do some long drives and get there and then slow down and play with the kids.

I consider my kids young; 2 and 6. All they are concerned about is playing and eating LOL. Kids love wildlife; take some field books on birds, mammals, insects, reptiles and stay in one place long enough to view them.

Three weeks is loads of time if you don't spend the whole time travelling.
AnswerID: 294192

Follow Up By: ss--ss - Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 14:50

Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 14:50
My Kids are 6 & 8 , they will have fun where ever we go. I'm happy sitting back watching them play while sipping down a few beers. Your right about the wildlife thing , that is always there favourite part..
FollowupID: 560025

Sponsored Links