Lake Eyre

Submitted: Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 14:23
ThreadID: 56111 Views:1959 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Good afternoon everyone,
Later this year I am planning on going to Lake Eyre but wonder if either Halligans Bay or Level Post area has advantages over the other. I am after the track that will ultimately give me the best indication of what Lake Eyre is truly like.
Thanks.
Keith
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Signman - Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 14:35

Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 14:35
To get the best 'indication' take a WrightAir flight from William Creek..

AnswerID: 295785

Reply By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 14:38

Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 14:38
Halligans bay was fantastic when we went there in 2003. Could camp right on the shore, but I believe the bollard fairy has visited since then and you are restricted to the tiny carpark :-((
AnswerID: 295786

Reply By: Crackles - Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 16:54

Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 16:54
Keith if you are going expecting to see water you may very well be dissapointed.
Latest News:
Lake Moist from local rain - no current prospect of flood
Cooper: Flood downstream of Windorah
But lower than 2000 and 2004
Probably won't exit Innamincka Reserve.
Birdsville - 100mm over old causeway.
Have a look at Lake Eyre Yacht Club website for latest details.
With little or no protection both sites make fairly ordinary campsites particually when the wind blows. An equally impressive view of a salt lake can be had of Lake Eyre South just off the Oodnadatta track.
Cheers Craig.........
AnswerID: 295800

Reply By: PandJ - Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 18:13

Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 18:13
Hi Keith,

As an ex employee of Muloorina Station I suggest you go to the camp site on the edge of the Frome river near Muloorina homestead and travel to both lakes from there.

I will be there (weather permitting) in May and have access to areas around the lake that other visitors can't get so will have a ball on the place I call "HOME"

Cheers P&J
AnswerID: 295823

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 10:13

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 10:13
Keith,

Driving to Halligan Bay from the Oodnadatta Track turnoff near William Creek will give you a great view of that portion of the lake, whether it has water in it or not.

As you approach the Lake, the track takes you to the top of a plateau where you get a very good perspective of how vast Lake Eyre is.

I also agree with the comment above re WrightsAir.
If you can afford the price, DO IT!

WrightsAir
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 295929

Reply By: wendys - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 11:28

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 11:28
The camp area at Muloorina is great and the part of lake Eyre that you can visit from there is worthwhile. You will also get good views of the lake as you travel up the Oodnadatta track. You can get the Wright Air flight from William Creek that takes in both the Painted desert on Anna Creek station and Lake Eyre - last year one of our party did a flight that took in both those and went up as far as the Warburton Groove - they will tailor flights to suit you.
AnswerID: 295936

Sponsored Links