Booking accommodation Adelaide to Darwin

Submitted: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 19:07
ThreadID: 57335 Views:2787 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi. We are travelling from Adelaide to Darwin with 2 children and will probably mostly stay in caravan parks (we are first time caravanners & not too sure about "free camping" yet). We will, hopefully, be leaving in less than 2 weeks. My question is - do we need to book caravan parks and if so how many days before we get there?

We don't have a time limit so want the freedom of being able to stay somewhere for however long we please but at the same time have heard it gets very busy during the dry season and don't want to be without a place to stay with two children on board!!

Thanks.
Leanne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: wendys - Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 20:47

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 20:47
You should probably be ok without booking ahead, with exception of Darwin. The better options in Alice Springs can get a bit busy, especially in the mid year school holiday times, likewise Darwin. We stay at McDonnell Ranges CP in Alice - very popular. But what we do is to phone ahead when we know for sure we will be reaching a place - usually the night before or the same morning. Works for us in most places. In Darwin, Lee Point, Hidden Valley, Free Spirit, are all pretty upmarket and popular. We like Howard Springs and you might find that easiest to get into. July will be the hardest month to manage accommodation. But if you have to fill in time to get into somewhere in Darwin, you can always go sideways and visit Batchelor & Litchfield Nat Parks - nat park campgrounds, plus commercial ones at Batchelor and Wangi. Or Kakadu - big Nat Park campgrounds there as well as several commercial ones.
AnswerID: 302398

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 22:48

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 22:48
Leanne

I don't know about CPs in that area, as we haven't traveled to NT yet. Also we generally choose to bush camp most of the time as we like remoteness. If we wanted to share space with others and stay in town, it would have been cheaper for us to travel staying at motels than setting up our rig. We don't travel with children, and started taking touring holidays when they were old enough to leave at home.

We love the freedom, flexibility, and getting away from it all. We never book (the only exception being Melbourne prior to our ferry booking to Tasmania). When we went to Tasmania we were told the CPs would be crowded as it was peak period and we would need to book to get in, but the few we went to had plenty of room.

May i suggest you get a copy of Camps Australia Wide 4 and Jan Holland's Priceless Campsites and Rest Areas of the NT. Not all are suitable for camping in the latter publication - some being day use only. Both are available from the ExplorOz shop. Then if you find you can't get into the CP you anticipate en route, choose the next spot from your books.

Have a wonderful relaxing family holiday.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 302419

Reply By: azp777 - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 21:18

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 21:18
My wife and i are traveling Adalaide to Darwin with the two kids as well we will be leaving around July 16th. We have no set time either as we plan to take six months to travel Adelaide to Darwin to perth to Sydney.

Would be great to catch up for a chat if you want as we have found out heaps about free camping and it is not as hard as you may think and will save you thousands of dollars in the long run. You don't have to spend much money to be set up right either.

Accommodation wise call ahead one day in advance if you know where you want to stay as you will be traveling in peak caravan treking times.

Give me a call or email me if you would like, other than that have a great trip and hope to catch you out there. The kids would love to have someone to play with on a big trip.

0402 006 558 & azp777@live.com.au
AnswerID: 302571

Reply By: Dusty2 - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 22:27

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 22:27
macdonnel range caravan park is the best.book to be sure.
AnswerID: 303349

Sponsored Links