trip to Cape York

Submitted: Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 08:12
ThreadID: 58203 Views:1724 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
leaving the end of june from melb via birdsville cape york darwin gibb river road broome back to alice to mt dare across the simpson back to birdsvile two vehiclesone navara twin cab the other a nissan patrol gu ute nissan gu just swagging it any feed back on fuel and sights will be appreciated

BIG RED
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jason - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 08:30

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 08:30
Hey Lyndave
Your trip sounds great. Been to all (& doing it again right now) except the cape. Suggestions would be to not spend too much time in Kakadu (personal opinion) as there is much more to see on the Gibb (our favorite).Cape LeVeque is a must do & so to is The West MacDonnell Ranges out of Alice.
Make sure you take the Finke Track from Alice to Mt Dare.
We are crossing the Simpson for the Birdsville Races.

Enjoy your trip
Jason
AnswerID: 306887

Reply By: Crackles - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 17:43

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 17:43
Lyn & Dave how much time have you set aside for your trek?
Cheers Craig..........
AnswerID: 306981

Follow Up By: lyndave - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 21:48

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 21:48
hi graig 3 months
FollowupID: 572878

Follow Up By: Crackles - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 23:43

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 23:43
With only 3 months you may find your planned trip a bit rushed travelling that distance but of course will depend on what you hope to see. Rather than head to Birdsville on the way up, if you don't need to it would save time to head straight to the Cape direct & pick up Birdsville after the Simpson crossing & may even coincide with the races if your dates work out.
From Cairns most head up via the Daintree to Cooktown. I found Ron Moons Cape York book an excellent resource & has all the hidden spots off the beaten track worth stopping. The OTL is interesting but I found the best places to be on the minor tracks heading out to the coast. The boat trip out to Thursday & Horn Islands are great as well as the fishing charters.
Coming back down, Palmer River, Chillago & Undara then across to the Burketown & Lawn Hill.
Cutting over to Tennant Creek it's north to Mattaranka, Katherine gorge, Kakadu to Darwin & Litchfield.
Again Ron Moons book of the Kimberly is excellent & lists all the must see areas. I'd give Elquestro a miss but make the time to get up to Kalumburu & Mitchell falls. Heading south Wolf creek to Alice then Chambers Pillar, Finke & Old Andado. Several options on the Simpson & is worth doing a search on this forum for what's best.
From Birdsville Cordillo, Innaminka, Tibboorburra & Broken Hill.
To ensure I don't drive past the best sites I always drop in on the local tourist info offices & talk to locals & fellow travellers en route.
As for fuel it's pretty much available everywhere you're going & doable on standard tanks except of course for the Simpson Desert which could require between 2 & 4 Jerries depending on if yours is petrol or diesel.
Have a great trip.
Cheers Craig............
FollowupID: 572895

Sponsored Links