Innamincka Gathering: Some Questions

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 11:50
ThreadID: 58250 Views:3853 Replies:9 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I've been looking at the information about Innamincka in "Places" on EO. I want to get some clear info about the water supply there.

We will be going to Melbourne first and then up thru Broken Hill to Innamincka. Our van has two 80 litre water tanks.

1. Should we avoid mixing our van water with Innamincka water?

2. What is the last place enroute to get good drinking water?

3. As a last resort would putting local water in only one tank be a good idea?

4. Would it be a good idea to bring a water jerry can (plastic) to use local water for washing up etc?

Our last experience with dubious water was at Thargomindah from the artesion supply. It definitely tasted different but it wasn't undrinkable. Can anyone give me a comparison between Thargomindah water and Innamincka water?

Hope I'm not obssessing too much here. I know that most water in the outback will be drinkable if you're really thirsty, but I hope you can see where I'm coming from.

cheers
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 12:38

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 12:38
With two 80 litre water tanks, you should have plenty for your needs while at Innamincka. (unless you use a lot for showering)

Yes, I would avoid mixing the water.
The water from Coober Creek is "muddy" or "cloudy" but is natural runoff rather than artesian water which definitely has a different taste.
It is suitable for washing and I would drink it if necessary, but probably boil it first.

When I was last up there, we camped at Cullyamurra Waterhole and I tried flocking the water with alum in a bucket with minimal success.

In the end I just used the water straight from the Waterhole for a shower and washing up the dishes and used the two 25 litre containers I took with me for cooking, drinking, etc.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 307093

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 12:42

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 12:42
Hi Gone Bush

We carry Potable water in our tanks, only for drinking & cleaning our
Teeth, for cooking and general use if it is sus we always boil it, we
also have an emergency stash of plastic soft drink bottles in crates in
the truck, handy if you are bush walking ect, or need water in a hurry, the water in the tanks will last us about 10 days if we dont use it for showering, the toilet has its own tank, and we will use the
on site amenities if available.

Cheers
Daza
AnswerID: 307095

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 15:24

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 15:24
Daza,

If you are referring to The Innamincka Town Common, there are no ammenities, except for a couple of drop toilets on the site.

Otherwise a walk, or drive, to "town" where the pub and general store are, will take you to "concrete tank" structures (male & female) where there are toilets and showers and a pay phone out the front.

Apart from that, I guess you could purchase bottled water from the store. But me, I would prefer Coopers Premium Lager from the Pub. (yum!!!)

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 572976

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (SA) - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 13:18

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 13:18
Hi Gone Bush
Like others have said above, I would not mix the water. If your last major port of call is Broken Hill, top up all your supplies there and you should have no problems.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 307101

Follow Up By: Vince NSW - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 16:38

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 16:38
Be VERY, VERY careful of the water at Broken Hill. As it is way off the mark at times. We had a coffee at the visitors centre that was made with local water that was undrinkable.
Good water at Fort Grey just before Cameron Cr.
There is a(or was last time I was there), a tap just outside the toilets / showers at Innamincka.
Vince
FollowupID: 572981

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 13:38

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 13:38
Youll be right..
It'll probably give the the $hiits for a couple of days and then you'll be used to it.
LOL
AnswerID: 307107

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 13:55

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 13:55
160L of Broken Hill treated water will go a fair way - maybe an extra 20L jerry in the car ? As drinking supplies diminish, you can get 10L drinking water casks at the Trading Post - cost was reasonable as I recall although we didn't need it (check with them on the Phone maybe ?). River water is cloudy but ok for all washing operations except her ladyship's hair (of course :-o).
AnswerID: 307109

Reply By: Isuzumu - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 16:22

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 16:22
What do they use for drinking water in Innamincka? like is there a tap at the showers where you can fill a jerry can for drinking?

Cheers Bruce
AnswerID: 307135

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 18:17

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 18:17
In my many visits there I have not seen a drinking water supply on offer - years back the Trading Post bloke told us they were drinking river water (pull the other one). I suspect they collect rainwater (there is a lot of 'tin' up there) and keep it all for themselves - quite fair IMV - the attitude may be that "if the tourists get stuck, they can buy it at the store or bring plenty".
FollowupID: 573023

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 18:30

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 18:30
Whilst camping on the common several years ago I was asked by a local not to swim in a specific waterhole on the creek as it was where the "Town sourced its water supply from"
So my understanding is they do source water from the creek for residential use.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 573030

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 18:48

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 18:48
True, re sourcing of that river water - I did see the town water pipe dunked into the Queerbiddie waterhole (just in front of the town) quite a few years back but in recent times it was dunked in about 500m upstream from the causeway - it probably moves, season to season.

FollowupID: 573037

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 19:26

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 19:26
Thanks everyone.

My question sounds like I'm a novice, but when we used to camp in a tent, even in a camper trailer, conserving water was easy because it was always dispensed from a plastic jerry can into a mug first and we taught ourselves to conserve.

But in the caravan we've got a tap and a sink just like in the kitchen at home, and we slip into bad habits.

Looking forward to seeing everyone at the Gathering.

cheers
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 307196

Reply By: Isuzumu - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 19:43

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 19:43
I thought it would be a big problem for them with water, sounds like a bit of boiling of the creek water will be needed and find some space for a couple of containers as well as the tank in the van.

Cheers Bruce
AnswerID: 307200

Reply By: Member - MUZBRY (VIC) - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 09:11

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 09:11
Gday
Looks like Melbourne is the best place. Come and have a cup of tea and fill the tank at my place.
Wes and i are leaving on the 8.7.08 to go to Innaminka and going two different ways.
Murray
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 307291

Sponsored Links