our trip

Submitted: Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 08:58
ThreadID: 58547 Views:3036 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
We got back from our trip Friday night here are a few things from our trip.
Fuel : Dalby $1.59.8 ,Moonie $1.73.9 ,Cunnamulla $1.69.9 ,Yowah $1.87.5 ,Hungerford $1.89.9 , Thargomindah $I.78.9 ,Noccundra $1.96.9 ,Innamincka $2.02 ,Quiplie $1.80 ,Charleville $1.81.9 ,Augathella $1.85.9 Barcaldine $1.85 ,Longreach $180.9 ,Roma $1.76
Our first night was spent at Moonie was glad to get of the road as we had battled head winds all day,the next stop was Roshill aviaries the road in was very rough, a great display of birds but a little run down.Stopped in St George (great bakery) so had smoko at the park besides the river. Stopped at Bollon for lunch beside the creek a ended up staying the night ( a lot of the small towns have free hot showers) .Fuelled up ate Cunnamulla prices vary here by 6 cents Mobil fuel depot the cheapest. On to Eulo for a mud bath then to Yowah Go up to the Bluff, has a great view.Just a word of warning don't touch the Diesel pump in Yowah the store owner will tell you not to touch with a long story to go with it. Next day down to Currawinya NP this was the just the best we camped at the Bore Hole at Caiwarro Ruins (what a spot) Our next stop was at the shearers shed were we camped by the river,went to the lake and other spots ( I will be going back ) the roads in the park are ok but the main road to Hungerford as a but rough. After a few days we headed of to Hungerford and then to Thargomindah and spent a few days there.Noccundra was were we left our van and headed for the Dig Tree under the threat of rain , had a few spots of rain that night then on to Innamincka and surrounding area,the Copper has to be seen to be believed. On the way back to Noccundra we could see rain and about a mile from the sealed road we hit large water holes about a meter deep but all went well. We stopped in Noccundra that night and had dinner at the pub well worth it. Next morning it was of to Quilpie via Eromanga and stayed for a few days did the tourist thing and went with the postman out to the stations.Heading to Charleville we decided we had enough of the sealed road so we hung a left about 5 km out of town and headed for Charleville via Adavale I have never seen so much bull dust. Spent a few days in Charleville doing the tourist thing. Heading to Longreach we hit rain just before Blackall and it came down ,we were to go via Isisford but the road was closed due to the wet . On the road to Isisford before the road bloke I made a big mistake and pulled of to let a large van go past next thing Nissan and van went sliding down the bank to my surprise the guy I pulled off to let past stopped seeing I was stuck drove of . It took us a while before we got out under our own steam.(glad I got the M/T tyres) On to Longreach for a few days then back to Barcaldine and up to Aramac plus 60 km to see a friend on his property. From then it was all down hill and back to Brisbane. We Live in a great land and this was only the start of our trips Linda has already planned the next trip to the desert for next Year.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 09:32

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 09:32
Hello Captain Chaos,

What a good trip you've had, thanks for sharing. It certainly makes my feet itchy to get going again.

Viv
AnswerID: 308722

Follow Up By: Member -Captain Chaos (QLD) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 13:46

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 13:46
Image Could Not Be Found
FollowupID: 574781

Follow Up By: Member -Captain Chaos (QLD) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 13:51

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 13:51
Image Could Not Be Found
FollowupID: 574784

Reply By: Member - Phillip S (WA) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 10:04

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 10:04
Trip sounds great Captain...but tell us the story of the diesel pump at Yowah...."and the copper has to be seen to be believed"....bit more info mate....and the tourist thing with the poastie atQuilpie????

It's funny how you mention the rain, we are off 28th of June to 80 mile beach from the south west,...... port smith , barn hill, and broome also being on the agenda and have been watching the rain on the radar at places like carnarvan, exmouth,karatha and the GRR....hope things clear up soon.

Captain, you keep a scrap book/diary of your trips or a laptop?
AnswerID: 308729

Follow Up By: Member -Captain Chaos (QLD) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 13:37

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 13:37
Yowah : The guy that owns the general store also runs the pump ( just a word of warning don't buy your bread there he stores it on the floor) this was the dirtiest store on our trip. He will only serve fuel between 8:00am and 9:30am and for an hour in the afternoon if he feels like it. So 8:30 I stop at the fuel pump and ask if I can get fuel, answer you can wait until I'm free.That's fine and went outside to wait he then realised I was stopping and the postman from getting out. I offered to move or help by filling my car big mistake I got a story how travellers broke his pump and no one can use it apart from his.Fine but he went on and on.
Currawinya NP : the bird life here has to be seen to be believed just great,the granites are worth a look and a walk around.
Thargomindah : have a look at the hydro system just out of town dates back to 1893. Also go to Lake Bindegolly I have never seen so many black swans.
Quilpie : We went with the postman which picked us up at the caravan park ($60.00 per person ) where we turn left just outside Quilpie and head north dropping mail at cattle property's . Stopped at "TRINIDAD " STATION where the owner gives you smoke , fresh scones and cake with jam and cream plus tea or coffee al home made . The walk around her garden is an eye opener so much fruit and roses I have never seen so large.The postman ten takes you through "THYLUNGRA" which is a working sheep property . We returned home at 3:30pm
FollowupID: 574777

Follow Up By: Member -Captain Chaos (QLD) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 13:43

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 13:43
Yes I did keep a diary will get photos soon[fi]/121621.75/ForuImage Could Not Be Foundm/Pic_1[/fi]
FollowupID: 574778

Follow Up By: Member - Phillip S (WA) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 14:11

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 14:11
Thanks Captain
FollowupID: 574789

Reply By: Member - Vince B (NSW) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 11:39

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 11:39
Hi Captain.
Currawinya NP is certainly a great spot to camp & explore.
Did you try the Hungerford pub for a counter lunch?They make the best steak sandwiches west of the great divide.
Cheers.
Vince
AnswerID: 308744

Follow Up By: Member -Captain Chaos (QLD) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 12:33

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 12:33
No we were running a bit late to get to Thargo and didn't,t want to be on the road after dark spent a long time at Lake Wayana looking at the pelicans by the thousands.
FollowupID: 574762

Follow Up By: Member -Captain Chaos (QLD) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 13:54

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 13:54
Image Could Not Be Found
FollowupID: 574785

Sponsored Links