CARAVANNERS UHF CHANNEL

Morning all
Heading off for a life on the road early in August.
With fuel prices rampant, will definitely be travelling slowish with the van. THerefore, want to make sure other road users can let me know if I am holding them up too much.
Can anyone please advise if there is a "universal" UHF channel used by caravanners?
And would it be Australia wide or different across the states?
Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rock Ape - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 07:43

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 07:43
Most use 18 or 23, some have 2 radios and set one on 40 and the other on 18.
Have a good one.
AnswerID: 309820

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 20:28

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 20:28
Who is using CH 23? This channel is only for data and digital remote control - by legislation. Many of the new UHF sets will not transmit on CH 22 or 23 because of this.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 575976

Follow Up By: Rock Ape - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 20:40

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 20:40
Thank you for the info, I posted this cause I keep coming up on vans with 23 on the back
FollowupID: 575980

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 07:43

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 07:43
Hi Tuck 01

We have a sign on the back of the Van (CH 18 UHF) 75mm letters,
most Caravaners use Ch 18, some use Ch 40, we just leave the CB on
Scan Mode, we very rarely have any complaints from Truckies ect,
we allways give motorists enough room to pass ect.

Cheers
Daza
AnswerID: 309821

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 08:38

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 08:38
As well as the channel, you can write your name on the back of your van too, so the truckies know what to call you ;-)
AnswerID: 309828

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 08:44

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 08:44
Some may call you names that arent on the back of the van as well LOL :-)))))))))
FollowupID: 575783

Reply By: Member - Bucky (VIC) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 08:54

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 08:54
40 is the call up channel, used by most people, especially trucks.

You can always make contact on 40, and cal back to go up or down a couple of chanels, as most truckies don't want people "dribbling on", on their call up channel.

Another thing you can do is to get some stick on letters, and put your prefered call up channel/channels, on the back of your van.

We have 2 prefered channels on the back of our camper,, Ch 18 (as far as I know, this is the "caravanners channel ) and Ch 40.

Just a courtesy thing, and it seems to work, you can even put your nickname with it.

Anything to help

Cheers
Bucky

AnswerID: 309832

Follow Up By: DarrynJ - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 10:09

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 10:09
Going up or down a couple of channels from Ch 40 puts you in the Repeater channels. Going between Ch 38 and 31 puts you on the Repeater input channels which makes the Repeater almost unusable. Best to avoid Ch 1 to 8 and 31 to 38 at all times as you don't know what Repeaters are in range.

Cheers Darryn
FollowupID: 575800

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 12:00

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 12:00
DarrynJ - thank goodness there is someone else out there who knows how to use the UHF - you wouldn't believe how infuriating it is out here in the real outback - our Repeater Channel is 8 for the Diamantina Shire and is linked throughout the entire Shire so we can have some emergency communications. Sometimes people travelling up Cordillo or Arrabury towards Queensland can be heard throughout the entire Shire have inane conversations of highly personal nature becaue they don't understand (even though there are LARGE SIGNS in our Shire (anyway) about not using 31 to 38 and 1 - 8. It is written in all the information that comes with the UHF radios whether hand helds or fitted-in.
Ch 10 for the Simpson Desert Ch 39 for Diamantina Shire work crews. Happy travelling.
FollowupID: 575832

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky (VIC) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 18:46

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 18:46
Opps,

Busy channels are usually signposted

Someone forgot to mention that, guess who ?,( no prizes )

I use the repeaters, at times to call up, and if possible, I go back to simplex ASAP.

Cheers
Bucky

FollowupID: 575934

Follow Up By: DarrynJ - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 21:54

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 21:54
Hi Ruth, yes don't understand or don't WANT to understand and don't care - the attitude of most truckies around here who constantly use Ch 38 and jam a Repeater that covers a large area of very popular Vic High Country 4X4 spots. Tell them what there doing one day and there back the next. Not to mention some people who constantly use Ch 35 and jam the Gippsland Emergency Repeater but what can you do. As far as inane personal conversations go it would be interesting to record some and play them to the people, would shock them if they knew how many people heard what they said. Part of the reason is the UHF is the only radio used now (27 is dead for most people) and people go to the first quiet channel without thinking or bothering to find out. We need another 40 Ch on UHF.
Cheers Darryn
FollowupID: 576010

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 09:35

Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 09:35
DarrynJ, sometimes you get the opportunity out here to know who has been using that Channel. Had two couples coming up via Cordillo into Birdsville - they were so embarrassed when I was able to repeat their conversations to them that I think they'll never use the UHF again for anything.
FollowupID: 576059

Reply By: John R (SA) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 09:49

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 09:49
Ch 18 for caravans.

Ch 40 for trucks.

If I'm going on a bit of a trip I'll program 18 & 40 into the 'group scan' function. Although it generally get's pretty busy around high population areas in which case I tend to turn the radio off.

In remote areas, I'll leave the radio on open scan to pick up anything. Particularly helpful if you come across someone coming toward you on a dirt road. If they're part of a convoy, you'll hear them warning the rest of your group that you're coming, so you know there are other vehicles in front of you. It can be a good opportunity to say g'day, have a chat and ask about road conditions etc.
AnswerID: 309846

Reply By: DIO - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 10:27

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 10:27
Yes fuel prices are on the increase however, if you are travelling a highway with a 100 km/ph speed then you can expect that most vehicles will be approaching you from behind (and ahead) at said speed or greater. Now if you are travelling along well below the said speed limit, trying to save fuel etc, then you must accept that it is likely that a vehicle may round a bend or top a crest to be confronted by you and your rig 'tootling along'. What do you think could happen?
Speed limits are set according to road conditions, terrain etc and it is a reasonable expectation of most drivers with average driving skills that they will/may travel in accordance with posted speed limits.
I do not endorse motorists, caravanners or others travelling below the speed limit in order to conserve fuel, 'star-gaze', sight-seeing or because their vehicle lacks sufficient power to move their rig along. Such thoughtlessness is both dangerous and inconsiderate and motorists have been known to attract Police attention and resulting fines for such actions.
Now, it is my wish that you have a safe and enjoyable trip. May your journeys be endowed with tail winds, copious amounts of readily available water, heavily discounted fuel and ample firewood (where necessary). Above all please consider other road users in your travels and be mindful of the potential hazard/risk you may present to others by both your presence and actions. Yes the UHF radio can be an asset however it works both ways and if another motorists ( etc) considers they you may be unescessarily delaying them you may get a mouthful of abuse of highly offensive (%&@*^%!- censored) language.
AnswerID: 309859

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 11:30

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 11:30
DIO, I would have agreed with you a couple of months ago but now I think everyone is considering going just that little bit slower to get better economy.

It is only a matter of time before the trucking companies catch on as well.

The airlines are already doing this.

It makes sense.

I used to tow at 90kph, now it will be 80.

Anyone doesn't like it then they can call me on the channel displayed on my van and ask me to move over a bit. But they'll wake up after a few big fuel bills come in.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 575827

Follow Up By: tuck 01 - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 11:33

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 11:33
DIO
You are a self-righteous little person aren't you.
Smile.
FollowupID: 575828

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 12:56

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 12:56
Hahahahahahaha.......................
And that is the gospel according to DIO..LOL
Were you a preacher in a past life?
How dare they drive at a pace they feel safe. People arent allowed to think theses days...thats what the signs are for...next thing you know people will be using common sense again instead of reading all the signs!
Praised be to DIO.

Hahahahahaha.........
FollowupID: 575847

Follow Up By: Chriscd - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 20:09

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 20:09
Hi Dio,

Could not agree more - 'specially with 4 or 5 nomads in convoy, at 80 km per.

Also try to get into a rest stop - sorry 'free' van park after 1600 after driving 5-600 km and wanting a rest and be able to make a sanger and have a cuppa on the tables provided - not a hope - full with nomads and yappy bluddy dogs.

Again, consideration for other travellers could also make for a less stressful journey for other road users who also pay rego and associated taxes.

my two bobs

Ta

C

FollowupID: 575965

Follow Up By: Richo (SA) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 20:21

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 20:21
Gone Bush - the airlines are not changing their speed to be more economical. This is in fact a false economy because the wings would have to create more lift at a lower speed and therefore more induced drag. There is only one speed (rather engine power setting) that a jet aircraft at a given weight and altitude can fly to be the most economical.

FollowupID: 575972

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 20:22

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 20:22
Gday Chriscd,
Do you think these tables are for everyone except Grey Nomads?
Arent they doing exactly what you want to do but they got there first?

Cheers
FollowupID: 575974

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 10:34

Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 10:34
Not true Richo

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 576067

Reply By: Gazal Champion - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 11:24

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 11:24
Hi Tuck,

Caravan channel is 18 as stated.

Truck channel on the Pacific H/way between Sydney and Brisbane is channel 29 as for the Hume I am not sure but every where else the truck channel is 40, at least from my experience.

I usually work on the principal that if there are more than 3 vehicles behind me I should be looking for a place to let them pass. As I am on holidays, when towing the van, I have plenty of time whereas the truckies don't and the other vehicles may also contain people trying to do a job or have limited time and so need to get to their destinations quickly.

It is just a courtesy and cost me nothing and as I have help a fellow traveller I get a warm fuzzy feeling. (Geez I'm good) and takes pressure off me which is the most important thing.

Regards,
Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 309872

Reply By: tuck 01 - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 11:34

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 11:34
Thanks everyone for the advice.
Yes, there will be a "Jeff & Deb" sticker on the back, referring people to Ch 18.
Cheers
AnswerID: 309875

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 12:39

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 12:39
Jeff & Deb,

don't want to confuse the issue, but here goes....

CH 18 is recognised as a caravan channel for caravans in convoy, ie, more than one van travelling together.

CH40 is recognised as the truckies channel, and by default, the primary channel for anyone on the open road. But you will get sick of the truckies' language.

I have a sticker that says "UHF CH 18 or 40". This gives me the option, even if alone, of getting away from CH40 but still letting other road users know where I am. If I'm travelling with other vans I'll be on 18 anyway.

Even with a sticker you'll find very few truckies bother to call you to let you know that they are coming around.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 575844

Reply By: Member - John D (VIC) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 13:49

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 13:49
Hi tuck 01,
Below is a list of UHF radio channels and their uses...

Regards, John

UHF Radio Channel Allocation
Below you will find a list of UHF Radio channel allocations. There are many channels that have been established by law including the Emergency channel 5 and the data transmission channels 22 and 23.
1 to 8 - These channels, which are established by law, can be used when sending a signal to a repeater which will help increase the communication distance
5 - This channel, which is established by law, can be used by anyone but only in an emergency situation
9 - Used for conversations
10 - Used by 4WD enthusiasts, clubs, convoys and in national parks
11 - Calling channel. This channel, which is established by law, is used to call or locate another station. Parties will then switch to another channel to continue with their conversation
12 to 17 - Used for conversations
18 - Holiday maker’s communication channel (e.g. when in a convoy)
19 to 21 - Used for conversations
22 and 23 - These two channels are used for data transmissions and is established by law. Voice transmissions are not allowed on these two channels
24 to 30 - Used for conversations
29 - Highway Communications which are mainly used by truck drivers and other highway users
31 to 38 - These channels, which are established by law, are received by a repeater and re-transmitted on channels 1 to 8 to help increase the communication distance
35 - Can be used in case of Emergencies also
39 - Used for conversations
40 - Highway Communications which are mainly used by truck drivers and other highway users
AnswerID: 309904

Sponsored Links