Which Landcruiser?

Submitted: Friday, Dec 07, 2001 at 01:00
ThreadID: 590 Views:3593 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
My wife and I (no kids) are planning to set off for 6 - 12 months travelling round Oz. We'll probably start off with some easy stuff around the NSW country and then graduate to Alice and Darwin when we know what we are doing. We are both new to 4WD so don't plan on driving across the Simpson or anything but on the other hand we really want to be able to get away from the crowds too.
We are camping but would like the option to sleep in the vehicle is req'd.
Of course the budget is tight so I'll be buying an old Landcruiser and am trying to decide between getting a 60 series wagon and pulling out the rear seats or getting a troopy.
Am I kidding myself? By the time I start adding up all the gear I need I'm wondering if the wagon is going to have enough room, but the troopy seems like overkill. Any advice?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Alex - Friday, Dec 07, 2001 at 01:00

Friday, Dec 07, 2001 at 01:00
Hi Adam,
some friends of mine have a 60 series wagon, which they take everywhere, sleeping in the back. They've fitted a false floor which gives extra storage space and folds out over water/fuel jerry cans in the rear footwell (back seat removed) to form the sleeping platform. By using a full-length roofrack they can carry as much gear as they need, and never have any problems. Hope this helps. Cheers, Alex
AnswerID: 1550

Reply By: Cashy - Friday, Dec 07, 2001 at 01:00

Friday, Dec 07, 2001 at 01:00
Adam, have you looked at the for sale ads on this site. There is a troopie there at a resonable price with all the gear on it that you will need for extended touring in Oz. My best advice to you is to join a 4wd club like the Toyota Landcruiser Club in Sydney. You will get an excellent driver training course as part of the membership and you will feel far more confident when you go off-road. There is no point carrying a load of gear if you don't know when to use it or if it is any use to have for the areas you plan on visiting. Membership of a 4wd club will also give you acess to people who have been where you are going and can give you personal advice on where is good to visit in many areas that you wouldn't find in any books.
Good luck in your decision and enjoy your travels.
AnswerID: 1551

Reply By: Stuart - Saturday, Dec 08, 2001 at 01:00

Saturday, Dec 08, 2001 at 01:00
Have you thought of towing a small camper trailer behind a slightly smaller landcruiser.It happens I have for sale a Mid Wheel Base Turbo Diesel with all the extras plus a bushopper off road camper trailer.
AnswerID: 1553

Follow Up By: Adam - Thursday, Dec 13, 2001 at 01:00

Thursday, Dec 13, 2001 at 01:00
Please send me the details to adamgosling@yahoo.com.au. Thanks
FollowupID: 503

Reply By: John - Sunday, Dec 09, 2001 at 01:00

Sunday, Dec 09, 2001 at 01:00
Suggest you think of a Troopy (Diesel) possibly an ex hire fleet one that has all the necessary equipment- engel, water tanks, long range fuel, dual batteries, and a bit of extra oomph in the suspension/ shocks area. Getting a reasonable one may be a tad more expensive initially, but 'out there' is not the place to have vehicle problems!! There are a few places in Sydney and if that is where you are I may be able to point you in the right direction-- send your address!!
John
AnswerID: 1563

Follow Up By: Adam - Thursday, Dec 13, 2001 at 01:00

Thursday, Dec 13, 2001 at 01:00
John
Thanks for the suggestion. I've seen a cruiser hi-top at Wallaby Motorhomes @ Granville. Admittedly it was a 1998 model, but it was a more than I was prepared to spend. It also looked a bit squishy for me. I'd end up carrying a tent and there's no roof rack. Thanks though. I agree about the need for tanks and shocks though.
FollowupID: 504

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Friday, Jan 11, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Jan 11, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Adam, we personally spent 2yrs sleeping in our Troopy and it is ideal for your situation however, keep in mind that sleeping in any vehicle is going to be HOT! Ours had a pop top that had canvas sides with zippered windows with flyscreen and if it wasn't for this, we couldn't have coped sleeping inside. As it was, there were many nights slept on the ground. The camper-style troppy uses 2x bed foams that double as comfy seats when packed up and can be dragged out of the vehicle if r'qd. I certainly wouldn't go for the 60 series over a troopy from the sleeping aspect.
AnswerID: 1726

Sponsored Links