Your other half's experience.

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 21:45
ThreadID: 5915 Views:1903 Replies:15 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Just wondering how everyones partners cope when in the passenger seat. I get a real kick out of watching the 4WD rigs climbing up rocky hills etc... It's such a buzz!
How do your partners feel about it?
Any comments?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 21:52

Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 21:52
My missus gets into the drivers seat and has a go. She has done driver training with both NSW and Vic Nissan clubs, and loves it.

The more she drives, the more Im allowed to spend on the car..

Her "damn I nearly made that hill"
Me "would have with better tires"
Her "ok"

Her" these seats suck"
Me " Parartus on Sold for $200"
her "GET EM!".
Me " ok!"

and theres more..
AnswerID: 24635

Follow Up By: Member - Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 22:08

Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 22:08
U got this thing sewn up TrucksterSo many places to go!
So much work to do :0(
FollowupID: 16566

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 22:19

Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 22:19
hee hee!!! lots of training ;)~ just dont tell her that training bit please..
FollowupID: 16568

Reply By: Member - Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 22:10

Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 22:10
My wife chooses the tracks and looks out the window and tells me when to slow down and she loves the bush like I do.

Even came away to the 4wd training weekend but lets me drive, she doesnt want to particularly. She also sees the value in things such as a winch, and recovery gear, but NEVER a snorkel

all the bestSo many places to go!
So much work to do :0(
AnswerID: 24636

Reply By: Slammin - Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 22:45

Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 22:45
My wife won't even drive a keyboard unless it's for work! She'll offer to drive for the transports but would rather play DJ. The best thing she does is keeping her eyes peeled for wildlife, any party and she's off! She can see a set of ears and eyes that driving I have no ability to concentrate for at the peripherals.
She takes wonderful photo's and we have some of our best conversations and think tanks while travelling.
I think her favourite part is bench racing about how steep the hill was or how deep the river!
If only I can swing her to Trucksters missus view about the purse strings!
AnswerID: 24643

Reply By: Member - Willem- Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 22:49

Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 22:49
My missus loves the bush and the camp fires and the cooking. But when it starts getting rough she opts out to walk the terrain. Something to do with rolling over into Barramundi Creek in Kakadu and going under water. Or winching a larger large tree out of the mud and onto the Tojo. Or being a passenger when hubby decides to offroad over the hill and then losing traction just 10 metres from the top of a 200metre incline and having to reverse down. Oh! there were many more hair raising times. She turned grey before she was 30. But she still loves the bush............................and me....I think!! :-)Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 24645

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 23:09

Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 23:09
Hows the Knee ??
FollowupID: 16575

Follow Up By: Mick - Friday, Jul 11, 2003 at 00:10

Friday, Jul 11, 2003 at 00:10
Crikey Willem, For your own safety and everybody elses, do a Driver Training Course. No wonder she wants to walk!!!
FollowupID: 16584

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Friday, Jul 11, 2003 at 11:24

Friday, Jul 11, 2003 at 11:24
Truckster........The knee is doing OK. Am walking short distances with my stick. No more pain. Leg muscles are still stiff but doing all the exercises every day are loosening them up.

Mick...........Hmmmm don't know what Driver Training can teach me. You are never too old to learn but by the time Driver Training became a Buzz-word, I had done my apprenticeship in the bush. During the 70's when I was a member of the Suzuki Club in Darwin we did a trip every fortnight for two years. The were few restrictions and even fewer tracks. Mostly we drove 'blind' and made our own tracks. We were reasonably careful but accidents did happen. Another passtime for both myself and the missus was mud racing. On a few occassions we both won the Championships in the combined Club events.

These days trips are more sedate as I do not have to prove anything. I still like the odd hard core challenge if I can find suitable terrain to explore.
Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 16602

Reply By: kezza - Friday, Jul 11, 2003 at 00:03

Friday, Jul 11, 2003 at 00:03
Wendy

We do crazy things, all the time adventure is the key and we do all the hard stuff but we just have to go further and further afield to do new stuff.

We've even done a 1000k overnighter with 2 familys 4 parents and 6 kids and that was a bit rough on the wives but one of the best and most talked about trips.

Knowing we cured some itchy feet on that run----I Took my missus on a 7,000k trip recently - away from the kids and work through the simpson and environs (with the flies) - for the whole trip she'd crawl back onto the bunk I built into the rear of the patrol with a beer and a book at about 1.00 in the arvo and go really quiet for a couple of hours. I wasn't game to ask if she was not happy - or - heaven forbid - "bored' with the trip. --- After 4 days of this seemingly "not good" ritual I had to ask her "Are You Bored?" Her reply really made my month

"Hell NO ! THIS IS THE BEST THING WEVE DONE IN YEARS i DONT HAVE TO COOK FOR ANYBODY ANSWER QUESTIONS WASH IRON GO TO WORK THERES PLENTY OF BOOZE GOOD SCENERY AND HEAPS OF ADVENTURE!!!" AND I CAN HAVE AN AFTERNOON SIESTA.!!"

Phew!

Says it all
Kes

AnswerID: 24658

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Friday, Jul 11, 2003 at 00:06

Friday, Jul 11, 2003 at 00:06
Wendy,
My wife reads, she prefers not to look and when she does or something happens this is usually met with "what are you doing dear?" Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 24660

Reply By: Kevin - Friday, Jul 11, 2003 at 09:29

Friday, Jul 11, 2003 at 09:29
My old girl loves it! However she usually does the videoing duties. She has driven up Big Red, however she did the Toyota leap afterwards which is okay except we own a Nissan !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AnswerID: 24673

Reply By: jonny knowalittlebit - Friday, Jul 11, 2003 at 10:28

Friday, Jul 11, 2003 at 10:28
my partner loves it too shes a bit annoyed that im going out this sunday without her but our little boy is only 8 weeks so his neck control isnt that good besides its my first day off for 8 weeks. she drives alot but when it comes to a tricky spot well swap ill do it then go back and she does it then shes so good now that she can do what ever i can ( not heaps) but enough for me to film or watch out for animals and not concerntrate on her driving. soon were going to start taking out my mountain bike her drive and me ride (the down hills only).
the 3 of us are going out in sept to a track weve already done so she can drive............ for a bit.
AnswerID: 24676

Reply By: bruce.h (WA) - Friday, Jul 11, 2003 at 11:26

Friday, Jul 11, 2003 at 11:26
Wendy
my wife can take it or leave it ,she enjoys it when we go but is no where as hooked on it as i am ,i have tried to get her along on a course but no go which is realy good considering the fact that i am a qualified 4wd instructor & recomend all the time that husbands & wife should both complete training.the up side is that i never have to fight over the driving duties & as long as she is happy to go out & do it hay im happy
Regards Bruce
AnswerID: 24683

Reply By: crowe - Friday, Jul 11, 2003 at 12:39

Friday, Jul 11, 2003 at 12:39
my other half is keen on driving aswell, quite often fighting for position behind the wheel. Fortunately she is not as good as me yet and when tricky situation come up will gradly handover the wheel, howver the more she learns the more i will be spending in the passenger seat no doubt but its not so bad, good to gander out the window every now and then
AnswerID: 24690

Reply By: Time - Friday, Jul 11, 2003 at 12:55

Friday, Jul 11, 2003 at 12:55
My missus loves V8 car races, beer, horizontal jogging, 4wding, camping, cooking, and, I think me. She has done the 4wd driver training and her only complaint is that I don't let her drive enough in the bush. She would have to be the best I've come across, pity I was 47 when I found her, wasted all those years on a few inferior models.

Seriuosly, it is great that we enjoy the same activities, there is never an argument over where to go and what to do, and when it comes to spending money on camping gear or the vehicle there is never any dispute, if it adds to comfort or performance then the $s are OK

Cheers

Buggerlux

AnswerID: 24693

Reply By: Wendy- (Kev's partner) - Friday, Jul 11, 2003 at 17:17

Friday, Jul 11, 2003 at 17:17
Thanks for the replies,
Good to see the ladies out there enjoing the off-roading scene as well, At the moment i leave the driving to Kev but would like to get out there one day.

At least he lets me decide on where we go, planing a trip to Darwin soon so im looking forward to that.

Thanks everyone.

Wendy.
AnswerID: 24712

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Friday, Jul 11, 2003 at 21:48

Friday, Jul 11, 2003 at 21:48
Hi Wendy,

Now isn't that interesting. I know a Wendy with husband Kevin who live in Darwin. They are on the Canning Stock Route at this moment and are avid campers and explorers.

Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 16639

Follow Up By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Saturday, Jul 12, 2003 at 10:05

Saturday, Jul 12, 2003 at 10:05
Hi Willem,

That is interesting as i think i know who you are talking about, does his last name begin with the letter P and has he been part of the TLC in Darwin for approx the last 20 years ?
If so my father knows him well as he lives in Darwin. (i used to live there too)

Kev.
FollowupID: 16660

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Saturday, Jul 12, 2003 at 17:30

Saturday, Jul 12, 2003 at 17:30
Hi Kev,

Yes....and he is known as KP. Maybe I know your dad as well. I was in the TLC for a short while but spent most of my life up in the Top End. If you wish you may contact me through my website at www.kempen.id.au
Another old Darwin TLC member also lives here where I live in South Oz and we still get out on trips together when the girls want to stay at home.
By the way, your dad's last name..........does it start with an L. If so then I know who you are.Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 16669

Follow Up By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 20:01

Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 20:01
Yep, i know KP........small world hey.

My dads name does start with L and known to some as big kev.
When i talk to him next i will ask him, would that be Milty who lives down there with you ? (just a guess)

Good to meet you !

Kev.
FollowupID: 16806

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 20:24

Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 20:24
Hi Kev and Wendy,

I met you, Kev, when you used to live along Casuarina Drive. Yes, your dad had tea with us a couple of years ago on his way through to Darwin and yes Milty does live here in Peterborough,SA

A looongtime ago I went on a TLC trip out to the Mary River. I think that both you and your brother went along on that one. I was driving a white Suzuki JX Highroof in those days. I led your dad down into a dead end and he was not amused. But he and I have had a few beers together and spun a few yarns.

Good to meet you again.

Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 16810

Follow Up By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 21:06

Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 21:06
Dad told me he caught up with Milton last year and traveled around with him as he lives south now.

Im trying to remember that trip as we did go out a fair bit but can't picture everyone, i was probebly only 8-10 years old at the time.
I must admit i loved growing up doing trips with the club, i think its rubbed off a little bit.

On your site i see you went to Coberg Peninsular in 1988, we also went around that time i think. Was it the same trip ?

Kev.
FollowupID: 16814

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 21:43

Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 21:43
No we did a different Cobourg trip. There is a photo of me in the Genealogy section of my website if you click on Kempen. I look pretty much the same as I did then with just a few more wrinkles now. Your dad and I are about the same age. I think he could be a year older than me. Yes you must have been around that age that you mentioned. What are you doing in Cairns. If you want to email me via my website you can.

Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 16821

Reply By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Friday, Jul 11, 2003 at 22:47

Friday, Jul 11, 2003 at 22:47
Unfortunately my wife hates it, although this may in fact be very fortunate. Luckily for me my son loves it, ever since he was a baby, though I have always wondered why he only ever falls asleep on the roughest tracks. Very hard to go down hills when one hand has to hold his head to avoid bumping it. Just Do It!

AnswerID: 24745

Reply By: diamond (bendigo) - Saturday, Jul 12, 2003 at 17:46

Saturday, Jul 12, 2003 at 17:46
gday wendy.
my wife loves it but the only problem is out 12 year old daughter gets scared driving up a gutter.wife had a look at some pics from last sunday and said it looked like a fun day and would loved to have come.so next time we go away we going to try and get her(daughter) to go somewhere.our two year old loves going bush she been doing it all her life. new job coming so no fraser this time:-((
AnswerID: 24774

Reply By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Saturday, Jul 12, 2003 at 22:25

Saturday, Jul 12, 2003 at 22:25
We always try to encourge partners to train as well, and even offer a $100 discount if both partners are trained on the same day. If you were sick or injured could your partner drive you out of a sticky situation? Training realy is a safety issue and the current Nationally Recognised courses are far more comprehensive than previos ones. Cheers Rob
Cairns Offroad Training & Tours
AnswerID: 24798

Sponsored Links