Flinders Ranges in October

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 12, 2003 at 23:11
ThreadID: 5953 Views:5431 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All, we are currently planning our annual holiday for 3 weeks in October - going to the Flinders Ranges this time via Dubbo and Broken Hill, Petersborough etc.

We are thinking of staying at Wilpenia Pound and then at Arkaroola Sanctuary. We have never been there before and was hoping somebody could advise on some 'must see' and some 'give it a miss places'. Our preference is to base camp and then do day trips on some of the stations. We have already bought the Ron & Viv Moon 'Adventurers Guide to the Flinders ranges', however we would like to hear some first hand experiences. Many thanks for any assistance. Moggs ( Normanhurst NSW)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: kezza - Saturday, Jul 12, 2003 at 23:24

Saturday, Jul 12, 2003 at 23:24
was there in may - great landscapes but very dry skytrek is a must.

kezza
AnswerID: 24809

Reply By: Member - Willem- Sunday, Jul 13, 2003 at 10:08

Sunday, Jul 13, 2003 at 10:08
Hi Moggs,

There is lots to see in the Flinders. Wilpena Pound and Arkaroola are tourist resorts and that speaks for itself. They are expensive. But both are worthwhile for an overnight stay. From Wilpena Resort you can access the pound. It is a good walk. Flinders Ranges NP has some good campsites but take your own wood. The tracks are easy and the place is very scenic. You can also access the Heysen Trail for a bushwalk if you are that way inclined. To the north of the park there are a few PAR (Public Access Roads) which offer serious tracks and rugged country. You may reseqarch these using Google. The Gammon Ranges NP is very scenic as well as Arkaroola Sanctuary. There are some good bush tracks and camping areas. You could also camp at Warraweena Private Conservation Park which has good facilities and some serious off road tracks. There are about twenty private 4x4 tracks in the Flinders area and they charge access fees from $15 to $40. Two fold-up maps to get are Hema Flinders Ranges and RAA Flinders Ranges. When the time gets nearer send me an email through my website www.kempen.id.au and drop in for a cuppa at Peterborough on your way through.
Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 24822

Reply By: greendog - Sunday, Jul 13, 2003 at 17:26

Sunday, Jul 13, 2003 at 17:26
hi moggs great place to holiday mate .we found wilpena pound to crowed and a bit pricie for us any way .next time we go were going to stay out at willow springs station home of the great skytrek for 15 dollars a night 2 minutes from a shower at the home stead and free fire wood and your not camping on each other,s door step willow springs station is 21ks north of wilpenaon the wilpena to blinmam rd any mate have a great time any way .were heading to birdsville, innamicka in 8 days time ca,nt wait cheer,s peter
AnswerID: 24848

Reply By: Member - Moggs - Sunday, Jul 13, 2003 at 21:09

Sunday, Jul 13, 2003 at 21:09
Thanks Kezza, Willem and greendog for the info. We are really looking forward to seeing what the Flinders has to offer, and now are thinking that we willprobably only stay at the Wilpenia Pound Resort for 1 night after the long drive, then move onto Willow Springs as greendog suggested for a longer stay, then onto the Gammon ranges for a look-see at Arkaroola. Anyone know of some good stations to stay out there??

We will not be going over the October school holiday period, however we are wondering if there will still be crowds around 20 - 31 October - has anyone travelled at this time of the year through the area.

Thanks for the offer of a cuppa Willem, we will be coming in via Petersborough and would love to meet you and hear some of your travel tales. We will contact you prior to our departure.

Once again, thanks for the info, helped us decide to stay away from the 'tourist' developments (which is why the wife agrees to drive such distances!)

Moggs ( Normanhurst NSW)
AnswerID: 24871

Follow Up By: Russ - Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 01:04

Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 01:04
Moggs,
You have got some pretty good feedback here. The book you have is excellent. Drive into Wilpena and the Mercs with high heel ladies are every where :):)

Willow Springs would be the way to go, done Sky Trek 2x.

Rawnsley Park is a top park. www.rawnsleypark.com.au

Echo Camp Backtrack at Arkaroola

Trezona camping ground - top spot

REPEATERS

Mt Caernavon – CH 4, (Willow Springs Station) is 50 km SE of Parachilna
Blinman – CH 3
Arkaroola – CH 8 – 4 km North
Quorn – CH 8
Hawker – CH 7 – Hawker RAA and Police
Leigh Creek – CH 2.

The book will tell you about most of these spots.

Enjoy

Russ
FollowupID: 16760

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 10:20

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 10:20
Hi Moggs,

Further to my Cuppa invite. My dearest advised me yesterday that we have to be in Beltana(between Hawker and Leigh Creek) for a Painters of the Flinders Ranges gathering and workshop on the 20th of October.

So, if you could give me an approximate ETA in Peterborough I can work around either side of that date. We plan to be away from home for a week at that time and our time is flexible(for now!!):-)
Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 16933

Reply By: mrdesmo - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 01:08

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 01:08
Hi Moggs,
Meant to reply earlier, but couldn't find our diary for our trip in 2000. We stayed a night in Wilpena Pound Caravan Pk, then went and did a self guided tour of Alpana Station. Definately a highlight of our round Oz trip. We asked if we could camp rather than use their accomodation and they were more than happy. Heres a link to some info
http://www.hawkersa.info/alpana.htm
You wont be dissapointed, landscape was fantastic, great views from Mt Samuel all the way to the Lake Torrens salt pans, various degrees of difficulty 4WDing, only one tricky bit that my missus instisted on doing much to my dissapointment!
http://www.alpana-station.netfirms.com/MtSamuel.html
Oh yeah, not sure how it'll be at the time of year that you will be travelling, but take some flywire or something for your grille, as we encountered a locust plague travelling from Quorn to Wilpena, and found a group of vintage cars overheated on the side of the road...poor buggers.
Enjoy :-)
AnswerID: 24956

Reply By: Member - Russell - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 10:44

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 10:44
I was there over the last two weeks. You need to see Wilpena to say you've been there, but it wasn't our highlight. Skytrek was good, as was staying on Willow Springs - we had a bush camp with pit toilet to ourselves, could collect wood etc. Carmel Reynolds is very helpful too. The people at Alpana are excellent and let us pick our own camp site down on the creek for very little $. Close to Blinman etc. Their Mt Samuel track is marketed as more difficult than Skytrek, but really isn't - except for the sharp entry and exit to water courses that will make you scrape if you don't have good angles front and back. If you want a ROUGH track, go round the PAR track through Artimore - groan... Brachina gorge and Mt Chambers gorge were very good I thought. If you like well preserved station buildings etc, you might want to drop into Wirrealpa Station - we went there in search of outback graves, and found some beautifully preserved mid-1800s buildings that were still in use. They are dabbling in tourism too, so you could probably stay there. Thought the ridge top tour at Arkaroola was worth doing, and Bolla Bollana was worth a visit, but don't bother going all the way out to Yudnamatana (?) copper mine - my opinion. Had two tyre problems on the way to Arkaroola and return - BFG ATKO strikes again.
Can supply contacts/emails etc if you want, but they're easy to find. Hope you have a great trip.Russell S
Prado RV6
AnswerID: 24983

Reply By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 21:50

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 21:50
moggs,
I have not personally stayed at Willow springs but our club has close contacts and by what i hear, it is very comfy.
Weather can get hot at that time of year so be prepared.
All other info above is good advice but beware the slippery clay roads if damp or wet.
Hope you have a good time in SA
Wow! am I cute
Richard
AnswerID: 25153

Sponsored Links