dogs in national parks & reserves

Submitted: Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 11:39
ThreadID: 5978 Views:13276 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Gday all
well as promessed i checked up on the dogs issue in national parks, a class reserves & conservation reserves,the penalties for taking a dog into one of these reserves can be expensive,the fine its self is $500 & you will be required to leave the park immediatly,when directed by a calm officer ranger or authorized reprisentitive,you will also be required by law to give your name & address when asked ,failer to do so or to give false details is an offence under the criminal investigation identification act & will result in a $2000 fine, the penalties for failer to comply is $1000 & as the direction is a lawful direction it is aslo an offence under the calm act, you can recieve a penalty of $10,000 & 1 year imprisonment.
chris i think was you who was heading to m/p park,the information i have been given is that there is a perminant calm presance there.
so from a fines piont of view i would say its not worth it even if the only thing that you get is told to leave the park its 1 hell of a long way to go just to have to leave again.
From a conservation point of view which is to me far more important the national parks are our second highest conservation reserves next to a class reserves & are there to help maintain the bio-divirsity of our plants & wild life,with around 2413 spieces of flora listed as criticly endangered to rare & 47 threatend speices of fauna any impact we have on these is one which we can not step back from, if we send any of these into extiction we can never get it back & rmember the numbers stated above are for wa alone not australia wide,
so i hope i havnt sounded like i am preaching becauce that is not my intent,what i have set out to do is give you both the facts on the fines & a a small snipit of the reson behind the bans on dogs cats ect,to be able to impart the whole story on the reason dogs ect would be beyond both the capabilty oif myself & my limited knowlage on the subject & the capbilty of the website to cope with the lenght of the reply,so if you still need more go to calms web site or contact calm direct hope this has been of some help to you guys with dish lickers
Regards Bruce
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 14:19

Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 14:19
Or just take false ID and an old # plate bolted to your car!
AnswerID: 24910

Follow Up By: Member - Roger - Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 17:11

Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 17:11
Hi Truckster and u all,
There is another name that C A L M stands for but I will not repeat it here. AS other States have done, regulate the daylights out of us to make a few bucks. Some of the creatures on this earth are set for extinction due to natural circumstances, and the do gooders want to change it. Remember that humans are part of the ecology system as well and their efforts are part of nature. LIKE IT or LUMP IT. If you want regulation come and live in N.S.W. where you are also taxed to billyo. I am a law abiding cit but sometimes these so called eggsperts who manage things go over the top. Well thats my bitch regards.Dodg
FollowupID: 16793

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 19:40

Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 19:40
lived in that toilet for 33yrs, couldnt be happier or richer since moving to Melbourne.
FollowupID: 16802

Follow Up By: bruce.h (WA) - Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 20:26

Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 20:26
gday Roger
iguess we here in wa are luckywhen it comes to calm the people at the top dont have a lock out mentality & are actively working to keep areas open,which is not so easy when you look at the scope of what has to be achieved & the budget with which we expect them to achieve it , i agree on the surface many of the laws dont make sence & if you can come up with the solution of how to balance fair access for rereational activities , against the primery fuction of national parks & a class reserves, which is to maintian the boi diversity of australia the land managers would love to here from you,i must say that on the extinction side you may be correct to a small degree some of the endagered specise may well be natural selection,altho i think you will find that the vast majority are due to our interferance by intreducing both desiese such as dieback & the intruduction of foxes cats dogs camels donkeys horses birds ect ect ect,
had you posted your comments last week i would probably jumped on the band wagon & baged the living sh*t out of the land mangers
now having seen the facts of what they are expected to achieve in the face of out & out aggresion from all sides lets face it the greens bag them for not protecting enough we bag them for being to protective &they do thier best to land i the middle. i wasgoing to say its not a job that i would like to do ,then i realised its job i just vulenteered for lol :)

so in closing just rember to bitch,moan & complian is only normal human behavour - to get up & lend a hand to solve the problem is also human nature it just depends on what side of the fence you choose to sit
FollowupID: 16811

Reply By: Member - Willem- Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 19:24

Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 19:24
Thanks for that info Bruce.
We do not like a lot of lthe aws but I suppose they are put there for a purpose. Some are over the top. In the NT the Parks and Wildlife Act states that if you damage one blade of grass within a National Park you may be liable for prosecution. It is silly and no one would take it literally but the it is within the law statutes for whatever reason.

Maybe it is a far better thing to give ones beloved face licker, and we are owned by a very spoilt one, a holiday of its own in a nice kennel somewhere whilst we peruse the delights of our National Heritage.

Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 24922

Reply By: Member - Bob - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 13:13

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 13:13
I still see extensive damage done and rubbish left even in some of the remotest places. Unfortunately, if care for the bush was just left up to our own discretion, there wouldn't be a lot of bush left to enjoy. So while Parks and Wildlife departments aren't devoid of officious pratts, and excessive controls on some of what we like doing, I prefer to have some regulation rather than open slather. One example that springs to mind is Wyangla dam on the Lachlan. The place looked like a rubbish dump where fisherman had left empty cans, bottles and garbage all over the place. It was sickening. I will never go back there. Thanks Bruce for the research you did.
Bob
AnswerID: 24992

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 13:12

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 13:12
Spot on Bob,
take fishing, if it was not regulated where would all the fish be?? hell we dont have good fresh water fishing like Vic, NSW and Tas but what we do have is saltwater fishing (minimum freshwater) which is strictly controlled.

Same goes for other activities I guess....abuse it - lose it. Or at least they put in place strict controls...and usually because of a few ferals/idots or greed.

The murray is a good example of what has happened due to greed or should I say poor regulation and we have yet to see the full extent of how its going hit us....and thats just the low water flows i am refering to. What about these coarse fishers who transplant carp over the country for there own greedy sport... and then we have the clowns who transpalnted fox's to Tasmania. Is it little wonder we need regulations. Wow! am I cute
Richard
FollowupID: 16941

Reply By: sean - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 14:34

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 14:34
Dogs are NOT banned from all areas of all parks. Talk to the rangers in advance - simple really.

As for biodiversity, cane toads are gonna do more damage to Kakadu than all the denackered dogs on earth could possibly do.

Also, Kakadu is heading for all but completey closed to even humans. Twin falls is now closed to swimming and may not reopen ever. Even the wishes of the traditional owners regarding access by public to certain areas is being overridden by those who know best.

Sean
AnswerID: 25106

Sponsored Links