camerons corner to silverton

Submitted: Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 18:09
ThreadID: 6309 Views:2639 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
In september school holidays I am thinking of doing the track from Camerons Corner or Tibooburra to silverton . On the Hema out back NSW map its the one that runs through Hewart Downs and Border Downs and then onto Mundi plains then into silverton. In my calculations its about 390 ks from Tibooburra has any one done this track and if so can you do it in a day and ist it ok or is it sand because its on the edge of the Strezlecki Desert. This is a family holiday .
All the best EricCape York Connections
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bob - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 20:50

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 20:50
Eric, we did something similar at Easter but went north from Silverton. At Brougham's Gate we entered SA and travelled north as far as the Yandama Creek (hoping to go all the way to Cameron's Crner). The creek was in flood so we had to double back and re-enter NSW through the gate at Smithville House and then along the road beside the fence up to the Hawker Gate. At this point we swung in to Milparinka (again due to flooding). The tracks are good, not too sandy. You can camp in the dunes. We had a mob of kids with us and they seemed to have a pretty good time. Other than just being out in the desert, they liked riding the camels at Silverton. The 1:250,000 maps give a lot more detail and show the tracks inside SA which the Hema map doesn't. The country varies from parallel dunes to extensive rolling gibber hills. The road between Smithville House and the Haker Gate is an amazing dirt freeway.
AnswerID: 26578

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 12:18

Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 12:18
Thanks bob Did you do it in a day or are you saying its best to do it in 2 is there fire wood on the way or should I take some from else were .
Sounds like it might de worth the drive.
All the best
EricCape York Connections
FollowupID: 18220

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 22:10

Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 22:10
Eric, we camped out two nights between Silverton and Tibooburra. There was plenty of wood in the dune country.
FollowupID: 18257

Reply By: Member - Alpaca (SA) - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 20:51

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 20:51
G'day Eric,
Came down that way 2 years ago. Left Tibooburra in the morning (Camped at Dead Horse Gully) and down to Milparinka, Depot Glen and down the way you plan except that we began to run out of time and tuned off at Border Downs through to the Veldt to get to the Hill that night. Arrived about 7.30pm I guess what I'm saying is that 2 days would be better. The road was fairly reasonable although some patches were stoney which required constant concentration as to where you placed your wheels. It was pretty dry then with roos close to the road looking for feed but I don't know what it is like now.
Have a good trip
Alpaca
AnswerID: 26579

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 12:11

Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 12:11
Thanks alpaca it sounds like it might be worth the drive .
All the best
ERicCape York Connections
FollowupID: 18218

Reply By: duncs - Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 16:57

Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 16:57
Eric,

Be careful using the road along the Dog Fence in NSW. They don't like you to use it and I suspect that is the road talked about as the freeway above. It is there for the guys who maintain the fence and as they are working right on it, they like to keep other traffic off. Some workers have been injured by illeagal traffic on that road. It is in fact a private road and you can be fined for using it.

Duncs
AnswerID: 26627

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 17:23

Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 17:23
Duncs its not the track along the fence itself its east of that one but thanks for your reply .
All the best
FollowupID: 18226

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 22:12

Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 22:12
The freeway bit is actually in addition to the maintenance track. That's right, you aren't permitted to use the maint track (its no freeway).
FollowupID: 18258

Reply By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 15:11

Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 15:11
Hi Eric,

What dates are you looking at going? I am looking at doing the same in the first week of October. If you are going early Sept, would appreciate it if you could possibly collect waypoints and send to me?Just Do It!

AnswerID: 26658

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Tuesday, Aug 05, 2003 at 14:37

Tuesday, Aug 05, 2003 at 14:37
Glenn I am diong the track late september I would like to send you the way points but first I have to buy a GPS.
All the best
Eric
Cape York Connections
FollowupID: 18373

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Tuesday, Aug 05, 2003 at 12:31

Tuesday, Aug 05, 2003 at 12:31
Eric, I think (at least in large part) the route you propose is the same route (in reverse) descibed in the Boiling Billy publication "Travelling Outback NSW" (not sure of the name - I'll check tonight. Also, one of the 4x4 mags did a short story on a similar route called "a track less travelled". I have a copy and will also check it out tonight. If I find any relevant info, I'll post it here for you.
Smile, you're on ExplorOz
Rohan (Sydney - on the QLD side of the Harbour Bridge)
AnswerID: 26835

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Tuesday, Aug 05, 2003 at 14:45

Tuesday, Aug 05, 2003 at 14:45
Rohan I looked through my 4x4 Aus and thats the one in april this year also I was talking to a mate last night and it is in boiling billys book and its called the border track . Thanks for your reply and am looking forward to doing it . In all i am spending about 12 days around the weatern part of NSW .
All the best
FollowupID: 18374

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Tuesday, Aug 05, 2003 at 17:08

Tuesday, Aug 05, 2003 at 17:08
OK. Sounds great. I wanted to do that trip in July (just gone) but got out voted so we went to Fraser instead. Now the Mrs isn't too keen to tackle it in October either, so it'll have to wait until next May-July.

I look forward to your trip report when you get back (still working on the Fraser trip report 2 weeks later).Smile, you're on ExplorOz
Rohan (Sydney - on the QLD side of the Harbour Bridge)
FollowupID: 18378

Sponsored Links