Mittagong to oberon

Submitted: Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 09:33
ThreadID: 64721 Views:3474 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Mittagong to Oberon track - Are you able to tow an off road van along there or is it just camping? And could anyone suggest some good camping spots. Thanks Glenn
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 10:24

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 10:24
Glennbo,

I assume you are talking about the road down through Wombeyan Caves.

I believe it is "not recommended for caravans" from Mittagong to the caves. I do know people who have towed caravans in there, and I am not sure there is an actual ban. I will happily be corrected on that.

In terms of road quality you would not have a problem but there are a few places where it is narrow and there are blind corners, so however you go take it easy and remember you may have to stop quick and back up. If you are comfortable with that go for it.

If you want a real adventure do it on a push bike. One of the highlights of my teenage years was a bike ride that included that road. My back brake failed near the top of the hill so by the time I crossed the river at the bottom I was really travelling. Guys on the ride with me ended up in the river and over fences it was fantastic.

Pretty place, you will enjoy it.

Duncs

AnswerID: 342200

Reply By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 10:49

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 10:49
As mentioned above if its the Mittagong to Oberon via Wombeyan Caves the road did have a "Not suitable for Caravans" sign on it.

However! That does not mean they are forbidden, if your rig is not excessively long you would have no problems if exercising due care. Many vans have gone in there to the Caves Camping Area then out to Goulburn/Oberon.

Forty years ago I did a number of trips in and out of the Wombeyan marble quarry carting crushed calcite back to Sydney. We operated a 1418 Mercedes tipper trailer on that road, one of the other vehicles was a big IH Tipper.

Yes the road is narrow in places with many tight bends. A nice drive with some spectacular scenery.

Camping at the Wollindilly Ford - private camp ground, or at the Caves Camping Area.

If you have doubts have a look at Google Earth.

Ian
AnswerID: 342206

Reply By: Richard W (NSW) - Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 17:24

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 17:24
Glenn,

Caves to Caves tracks are OK for a good off road camper. If its one of those big vans it might be a bit tight through some sections. Camp sites are a bit scarce apart from Wombeyan Caves or Wollondilly River Station in the south. Not sure Oberon way.
AnswerID: 342273

Follow Up By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 21:02

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 21:02
Don't even think of camping/staying overnight at Bumaroo Ford if you have seen it on the map.

Wall to wall unregistered, unsilenced trail bikes under rabid riders.

No shortage of toilet paper if you are prepared to recycle.

Before anyone gets uptight, I'm a motorcycle enthusiast though not a second hand toilet paper enthusiast.

Ian
FollowupID: 610014

Sponsored Links