RFDS - Outback Saviours

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 13:56
ThreadID: 64768 Views:4063 Replies:13 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
I'd just like to publically state that the RFDS do a tremendous job out in the back blocks and are indeed are asset to the people who live and travel in those areas.

It is 3 years to the day that the RFDS saved me. I wrote my first ute off when I rolled it on the Connie Sue Highway and caused myself some serious injuries. Without fuss, the RFDS sent a "state of the art" plane in with a doctor on board.

I owe them big time.

If you travel in these areas, they will help you too if you need it. A donation here and there would not go astray if you can afford it. You could almost call it a form of insurance.

I will never forget the help they gave me in my time of need.

Thanks for listening
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 14:19

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 14:19
Wholly support your sentiments Alan, at almost the same time as yourself, they saved my 12 month old nephew Archie who had taken gravely ill while he and his parents were travelling in the outback. The doctor arrived at Birdsville by plane, snatched he and his mum and they were on the way to Brisbane in 15 minutes. After 2 weeks in the kids hospital at Brisbane, he recovered to be a fighting fit little 4 year old now. They get a donation from our family every year in lieu of birthday presents.

Cheers Mick

Image Could Not Be Found
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 342419

Reply By: Member - Uncle (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 14:32

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 14:32
Hopefully we will never need them ourselves, but they do a tremendous job for people in the outback areas.
While Jodie and I were working out at Hillside Station recently, they visited to make sure all the Station's medical kit is up to scratch.(which they do to all stations). lovely people too.
AnswerID: 342421

Reply By: Old Dave - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 14:58

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 14:58
Hi Alan

Totally agree with you i had cause to use them whilst living at

Gascoyne Junction in 73,

Also helped out other times lighting the airstrip for them with all

the cars we could get.

regards dave.
AnswerID: 342424

Reply By: Member - Fred G (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 15:23

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 15:23
The best way to acknowledge the RFDS is by way of donations, or if in Broken Hill, make a visit to the base which has a wonderful presentation on offer for visitors, and well worth the effort, even if only passing through. They love to say G'day and show you their base.
A great friend of ours who was also our local GP here, left her practice about 10 years ago to go and work for the RFDS at Broken Hill, and has now become firmly entrenched out there. Wonderful careing and dedicated people, who are the angels of the outback, going about their work wthout fuss or fanfare, as several of our members have already revealed.
Good on you Alan, for putting up this thread.

Fred & Christine
AnswerID: 342426

Follow Up By: Member - Fred G (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 18:38

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 18:38
Saw a very funny sight out at the B/H base in 2007. This RFDS plane landed in a fairly severe dust storm, and after it taxied to the hanger, a young medic exited, after a day of outback clinics, knelt onto the tarmac on hands and knees, and lovingly kissed the tarmac, receiving loud cheering and clapping, with much laughter, from all who witnessed it.
A priceless moment.Image Could Not Be Found
FollowupID: 610145

Follow Up By: Member - Damien L (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 21:18

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 21:18
Cairns also has a great RFDS display, even an older aircraft which you can board and see how it is fitted out.
My son in law was brought down from Chillagoe to Cairns with a broken leg in 2 places last year. I had to get a mate to drive me up there to bring back his truck, my daughter and grandkids.
They always get donations from us.
IGA have tokens if you buy the right foods and the grandkids always put them in the RFDS box, they are 5 and 3 1/2.
Love the bush

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 610163

Follow Up By: Member - Fred G (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 22:12

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 22:12
Hi Damien, yes, this organisation is near and dear to the hearts of most Aussies, especially those who have had some form of contact with, or available to them. As a young kid in the 50's my sister and I went to a boarding school in Alice Springs, from Mt. Doreen Station on the Tanami Track (and in those days it was a track). Each sunday the boarding school teachers would herd all the kids down the road to the Flynn memorial church for the sunday service (Flynn was the founder of the RFDS) and so I had a very early understanding of what this man had created. In those days we flew out in Connellan Airways aircraft, that were clad in painted cloth. They were mostly mail planes with a couple of seats available for passengers.
I am sure your grandkids will never forget this organisation.

Fred G.
FollowupID: 610172

Follow Up By: Member - Damien L (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 22:24

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 22:24
I'M sure they wont Fred.
My brother was airlifted to Cairns many years ago in the early 60's by the then Cairns QATB in one of their aircraft from a station outside of Normanton. This was before the RFDS was herein Cairns
Love the bush

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 610176

Follow Up By: Member - Fred G (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 22:43

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 22:43
Damien, my parents worked on a sheep station "Beeantha" which was south of Normanton, towards Nelia, and north of the Flinders River in about 1958/59 then owned by the Slacksmith family. Can't have been too far away.
I haven't been to Cairns for over 40 years, but it is on our itineray.
HNY
Fred.
FollowupID: 610180

Follow Up By: Member - Damien L (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 22:51

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 22:51
Fred you wont recognise the place after that time. I have been here for 47 years now and have seen all the changes.(to my way of thinking not for the better).
Call in for a beer when you get here, Cheers
Love the bush

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 610184

Follow Up By: Member - Fred G (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 22:53

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 22:53
Will do mate, take care.

Fred.
FollowupID: 610186

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 15:31

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 15:31
Yes, I agree with you whole heartedly.

Last year ExplorOz Management, ExplorOz Members and ExplorOz friends contributed $1000 from money raised at the ExplorOz National Gathering at Innamincka, to the RFDS at Broken Hill, as a token of our appreciation of their services to the community.

We must contribute whenever we are able to.

Cheers
AnswerID: 342427

Follow Up By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 17:16

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 17:16
Willem

That dune shot of yours makes Big Red look like a road corrugation.

Cheers

Alan
FollowupID: 610138

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 18:37

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 18:37
Willem,

It was a pleasure to assist in the fundraising while at Innamincka. They do unbelievable things for people in the outback and along with Angel flight deserve more government funding.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 610144

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 21:39

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 21:39
Alan

Yes that is a serious dune.

Some locals from a village nearby took 3 Toyotas (2 Hi Lux's and a 45 series ute) up there along the back of the dune. Took 3 days to get up there. Then over the top and down the very steep front. All vehicles were fitted with an extra radiator!

I saw the photos. These blokes sent the photos to Toyota in Japan and eventually got a reply to say that anybody could do trick photography.

The dune is so steep it is impossible to climb it from the front. Take two steps forward and slip back 3!!

Quite an experience.

Cheers
FollowupID: 610165

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 16:19

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 16:19
I had a ride with the RFDS in 2001 (on a strecher).

We carry an RFDS donation tin and offer it to anyone who wants to take a photograph of the OKA.
Most people are very generous.

Ask your local Branch for a tin, we can all collect a few bob eery now and again as well as donate ourselves.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 342434

Reply By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 16:24

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 16:24
Yep, our club has a policy of supporting the RFD.

Cheers....Lionel.
AnswerID: 342436

Reply By: DesF - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 17:07

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 17:07
I totally agree with the above statements, I travel bush a fair bit and it is a great peace of mind knowing they are there, hope never to need them but still donate to them regularly.
but is not only the outback that they service, a couple of weeks ago my brother was recovering from a opp, and he got this bad pain and he went into the hospital here and they decieded to fly him to Adelaide and the chopper takes too long to come up ,so they got the RFDS plane and he was in hospital in Adelaide within the hour, great service and they took his wife as well.
They found the problem down there and he is progressing slowly.
Can't praise them enough.
Cheers Des.
AnswerID: 342438

Reply By: Crackles - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 17:25

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 17:25
We unfortunately needed to call them for a member of our group who had a sickening fall whilst walking into Bell Gorge in the Kimberly. Landed the near new plane on a bush strip which was only just big enough for them to take off on. I've never heard a pilot rev a plane so hard before take off.
We make a donation every year now as it's a service many remote travellers take for granted but shouldn't.

Cheers Craig..............
AnswerID: 342440

Reply By: dedabato (SA) - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 18:27

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 18:27
We often spend 5-6 months in Lightning Ridge (NSW) and we have been fortunate not to use their fantastic service but often seen other people in dire straights who did require help and assistance of the RFDS. They are very valuable organization who provide a great service to the Australian outback and for that we all need to help which ever way we can. Thank you Alan for remaining us all of such a wonderful group of dedicated professionals.
Cheers
Steve

Image Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 342450

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 19:12

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 19:12
As Des says, it is not only in the outback. We are in the south west of WA, and the RFDS regularly flies people needing to be sent to Perth. They do not use road ambulances over this distance due to the time drivers would be on the road, and it takes the ambulance out of town for too long. Several members of my family have been flown to Perth in emergencies, including two in the last month (one was from north west). I'm pleased to say we are all here because of this amazing service. They get my charity $$s every time.

Motherhen

You can't beat the wings on an RFDS plane
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 342456

Follow Up By: mike w (WA) - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 21:44

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 21:44
Motherhen,

Im usually on the receiving end of these sorts of transports (transfer from Jandakot to hospital) All the staff that I have met that work with RuFDuS (our pet name ;)) (with the exception of one...grrr) are fantastic people and seem like those that will go the extra mile and will do anything to help out (even at Jandakot in winter at 2am). I dont thing I have ever had a RFDS patient that has ever had anything bad to say about the service and experience that they had whilst in the care of 'the flying doctor.'

I always enjoy having a chat to the flight nurse and pilot about where they have been on that particular day, and sometimes the distances and areas that they travel are quite long, with there days at times being up to 16 hours in the air.

Its great that the state govt bowed to public pressure and upped the funding for this service, it would have been a shame if they did not and this service was scaled down or a flight could not be made due to not enough $$ in the bank.

Hope your family ended up okay.
FollowupID: 610168

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 00:36

Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 00:36
Yes thanks Mike. Most recent flight was on Boxing Day, and all personal were wonderful. I think the service should be fully funded by the federal government - even if it put our Medicare levies up a fraction.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 610196

Reply By: Dave B (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 19:50

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 19:50
There is worldwide recognition for the RFDS and there is even a fan club for the RFDS in Germany.

I know the President of the fan club, he comes to Australia quite regularly, and he has visited every one of the RFDS bases in Australia.

I saw him recently, and he told me he had raised through his fan club, over $75,000.00. And that is from fundraising events in Germany.

An amazing effort, but it just proves how much the RFDS is appreciated.

German Fan Club Website

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 342461

Reply By: x - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 23:38

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 23:38
Never needed 'em myself.

But I reckon its worth donating about $250 a year for the security it provides me and the service they provide for all in the outback.

AnswerID: 342502

Sponsored Links