Toilet Treatments

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 16:06
ThreadID: 64771 Views:2086 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Folks I have just been doing a bit of catching up and read Thread 64726 re replacement treatments for chemicals in cassette type toilets. There are a number of replacements available both commercially and home made but other than a couple of the commercial types there would not appear to be any for the top or flushng tank. My question is; what is used other than water? If only water, is it adequate as a wetting agent to stop "Skid Marks" on the bowl?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 16:36

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 16:36
I guess the big issue is that you don't want to interfere with the action of the chemical in the bottom tank.
AnswerID: 342437

Reply By: Member - Matt & Caz H (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 17:36

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 17:36
Hi,
We use odour b gone tablets - we put one tablet broken up in the bottom tank with half a glass of warm water and then break up half a tablet and put in the top tank. You can also use a spray bottle with a dissolved tablet in it as a cleaner.

Cheers
Matt Caz & Kids
AnswerID: 342441

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 18:55

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 18:55
Hi Beachbum

We put the recommended amount of Bio Magic in the top tank when changing from Chemical to Bio; previously top tank had only been used with water. After all, i only have water in the cistern at home.

A recent thread on the Caravaners Forum about using olive oil on the seal, it was suggested that spray olive oil (they say must be olive and not other vegetable oil) could be sprayed onto the pan. This came up after i said another caravaners whose husband used to be a park ranger said that they used spray oil on the long drops.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 342454

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 19:13

Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 19:13
I went into the caravan and read the Thetford book re the seal. It does not mention olive oil, but says to use silicon or oil on the seal, without specifying type of oil.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 610449

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 21:23

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 21:23
You can buy the correct chemicals at Anaconda for Thetford toilets and their instructions say to use ONLY olive oil for lubrication of the seals.

Your toilet at home is probably porcelain and the caravan one is plastic which is not as slippery as porcelain therefore something other than water is probably needed.
AnswerID: 342480

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 13:34

Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 13:34
Graham,

I used to use the Thetford Chemicals, until I read that the "green" liquid for the bottom tank contains formaldehyde which is quite a dangerous ingredient.

Changed over to Bio Magic for both top and bottom tanks and have had no hassles. For long term storage between camping trips, I treate the emptied cassette with a good dose of White King hospital grade disinfectant bleach. This removes any remaining "solids" from the internal tank surfaces and leaves a clean crapper for the next use.

Beachbum,

As far as the occasional skidmark on the pan, what is wrong with a bit of toilet paper and your hands. Washing your hands afterwards completes the hygiene requirement and all is good.

Bill

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 610237

Reply By: Member - Au-2 - Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 01:06

Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 01:06
Our solution to this problem BB, is to pump some water into the bowl before getting down to business, just like you do at home.
Sheila.
AnswerID: 342513

Reply By: G.T. - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2009 at 16:48

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2009 at 16:48
Another way to avoid skid marks is to line the bowl with toilet paper prior to use. This will flush down with everything else.
Regards G.T.
AnswerID: 342881

Sponsored Links