Floods in Birdsville

Submitted: Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 22:40
ThreadID: 64973 Views:5836 Replies:11 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
Hello everyone, just to let you know that the floods are at 6.25 m
tonight at 8:00 pm (that's not quite up to the grid on the eastern road (near the Clinic) - the channels at the end of the Billabong are over the road (before the river breaks its banks
but between 5:00 pm when we were paddling and 8:00 pm when we left Happy Hour the river has broken its bank and all the common is flooded and the lower level of the caravan park. It's 6:6 m at Diamantina Lakes and still rising - Roseberth Station has not had it's peak yet (30 klms to the east). There is good water in Listore Creek (near Big Red) and plenty of water coming down the Georgina River (which become Eyre Creek).Birdsville only had 53 mm rain in one night but the river had started coming down on Sunday. There were only two puddles of water on either side of the bridge at the windmill on Sunday lunchtime but in the afternoon the water slowly came through the pipes at the old causeway.
Already lots of birds, plenty of baby centipedes escaping the rising water - not man snakes yet. We are cut off now on all sides and haven't had a supply truck since 19 December - if there is no more rain to the south then possibly the Adelaide truck can come in next week and the flood boats can unload down the river somewhere. Needless to say we are short of fresh milk and fruit and veg - bit short of beer in the Pub I hear, no stubbies there anyway only cans. We are all healthy and happy and busy paddling in the water. This photo is from Roseberth Station looking to the north (yesterday).Image Could Not Be Found
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 22:53

Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 22:53
Hullo Ruth,

I was thinking of you the other day.

Glad to see you're OK.

All the best.
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 343497

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 09:22

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 09:22
We talk about you quite often as well - some of it quite nice!
FollowupID: 611359

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 10:27

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 10:27
OOOooooh Ruth,

I'm crushed.....

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 611376

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (SA) - Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 23:13

Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 23:13
Hi Ruth,
Good to hear from you. Keep your feet dry. It is a good excuse for Ian to get his fishing gear out. Patsy Dunn is down at there house in Spalding from Etadunna Station. I see them quite often when they are down this way. She said that this is the best rain that they have had in about 3 years. Now they have to get more stock, as they have de stocked over the years because of the drought conditions.

Take care

Stephen and Fiona
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 343500

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 09:25

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 09:25
Ian went fishing other day and hardly had a bite - was very hot as well. Really hoping this will flush the biggies out now. The people on the Track have been doing it very tough for a lot of years now - of course finding good stock at the right price is the next problem. And, follow up rain. The Track opened long enough yesterday to shoo all the stranded visitors out - whether they wanted to go south or not!
FollowupID: 611361

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 23:15

Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 23:15
G'day Ruth,

Short of beer, Ruth, eh? Could float you a couple of cartons down, if prepared to wait.

We've had 156mm this year (only 78.6mm in '08!) so we are doing our bit towards your flood. Am very interested to see how much those Winton & Kynuna folk send us. At present our River is just under the "average" peg, which usually equates to 5M or so at the Lakes. Seems like the Mayne & Potjostler Ck have been doing their share, to kick it up to 6.6M

We're going to need heaps of dettol & baby oil soon, eh.

Happy New Year to you & Ian,

Regards,
Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 343502

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 09:36

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 09:36
Hello Bob, been talking about you as well - we thought you might have been at the beach (the real one). Good to hear that you actually had rain as Geoff M told me you were pretty much destocked. We have also been wondering about Winton and Kynuna water - it's quite difficult plotting the River isn't it? Had a fly with Geoff M on Thursday so I could photograph the lead water coming in near Mt Louis (between Bedourie Road and Bluff Homestead) just to the north of town.
Geoff thinks there are three lots of flood water - not sure where the Durrie water is - by the way the Farrars are not running which is strange.
Ian's not short of beer believe me - thinking he could make a killing selling to the Pub when things get really bad.
I've been telling the newbies in town about the dettol and baby oil and lumps on their legs and arms the size of fifty cent pieces.
Here's to a wonderful season for you Bob - and all the Boulia people as well.
FollowupID: 611363

Follow Up By:- Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 10:10

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 10:10
Hi Bob Y
I'm very interested to see your mention of Potjostler Ck and would like to know exactly where it is as I can't find it on any map.
My interest stems from research I'm doing on William Carr-Boyd who was with Hodgkinson in 1876 when they explored the channel country down to Lake Coongi. Carr-Boyd's pen-name for writing reports to the Queenslander newspaper was Potjostler so I imagine the creek was named after him.
I would appreciate any info re the creek
Fran
FollowupID: 615680

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 11:17

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 11:17
Fran, it's possible that Bob Y is not 'at home' - in case he isn't I'll give you a bit of an answer.
I have checked three of my maps, Westprint "Diamantina Lakes" map, HEMA Australia's Great Desert Tracks NE Sheet map and the Australia Road Atlas - page 12. If you look on the road between Boulia and Winton, about half way along (near Lucknow Station), just south of Lucknow you will see the start of Potjostler Creek - this runs stright south into Diamantina Lakes.
Hope this helps you. Bob Y. will probably know more of the history.
FollowupID: 615683

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 22:29

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 22:29
Hello Ruth & Fran,

Trouble with our phone line in town, Ruth. In civilisation, but miss our Activ8 & Bigpond satellite broadband, and a lot of other things too!!!!!!!! Apparently, we are going ADSL soon........

If you are leaving B'ville at 2pm, Ruth, you'll probably be in Winton for brekkie???

Fran,

As Ruth has mentioned Potjostler Ck heads about 10kms east of Lucknow Station, on Nerida (which used to be past of Lucknow many years ago). It then runs SE through Brighton Downs, before entering Diamantina Lakes N/Park, and then running into the Diamantina River, a few kms north of Hunters Gorge.

The name is actually Pot Jostler, not one word as I incorrectly spell it. The name is unusual, but means "cook" ie: he who jostles the pots.

Your mention of Carr-Boyds pen name reminds me of some articles I used to read many years ago, which I think were reproduced in the Courier Mail, or North Qld Register, back in the 60's. I wonder if Carr-Boyd was a cook, as well as a pen-man?

As you are researching him, I imagine you would be aware of the Carr-Boyd ranges on Argyle Station, in the Kimberley, Fran?

It's possible that this creek was named after C-B, but I know Brighton Downs was already settled around 1875, so it is likely that the creek was already named before their trip. I could be wrong, but think Pot Jostler Ck was mentioned in Mary Duracks 'Kings in Grass Castles", but wasn't their trip later that century?

Our email address is in my profile, Fran, if you had any other questions. Thanks for filling in for me, Ruth.

Goodnight,
Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 615964

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 08:07

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 08:07
Morning Bob, needless to say we are having breakfast in Birdsville but thanks for the offer!! I wasn't sure what comms you would be having in town - who said things were better in town, eh?
We are now 7.2m - I'm doing Geoff M's readings for the computer - he got out! Peaked out there - but there has been good rains each day at the Lakes, so might add a bit more. This house - from the kitchen windows - looks to the bronco yards and inside track and road to Big Red and the yards are floating. The water goes silver in the late afternoon light - very nice to look at when chained to the sink.
Time to do something other than talk with my friends! Cheers.
FollowupID: 615989

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 23:16

Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 23:16
Hi Ruth, Glad to hear that you are OK and enjoying the "water sports". I think I would be a bit concerned about the centipedes, I don't mind most things but those little things scare me, (it was something that happened to me when I was a kid), I think I would prefer a snake than a centipede.

Hope the trucks can get through soon.

Cheers

Deanna

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 343503

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 09:38

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 09:38
Hello Deanna, been thinking about you and wondering if Cyclone Billee gave you a thrill recently.
Centipedes give you a very nasty hot bite.
FollowupID: 611364

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 15:11

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 15:11
Cyclone Billie failed to reach expectation, he took off heading west and didn't look back, he was quite predictable really unlike most cyclones over here. LOL

I haven't been bitten by a centipede yet but still have nightmares about them occasionally.

Bevan wanted to head out your way after seeing and hearing about the floods there, I am having trouble holding him back since being there for the races, he is finding any excuse possible to head back to Birdsville so will no doubt catch up with you in the future.

Take care

Deanna

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 611417

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 23:28

Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 23:28
Happy New Year to you and Ian, Ruth. Looks like your swimmers may need an airing for the flood. Love to see it like that up there. How long do you think the water would be up?
AnswerID: 343504

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 09:42

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 09:42
Hello Bro - been swimming in the dogs at Pelican Point each day because it has been so hot, The dogs could just go down the front again now if they could get out. The water has come around the end now and was dribbing over the entry to the inside track about 7:00 this a.m. Quite nice water views from our front steps.
Loved your letter and will be replying with our new year one soon. Water should be up and down a bit as we 'think' there are 3 floods. As you will see from my reply to Bob Y. it's very hard to predict. Only way is to fly over the whole River and then you can see where the floods are.
FollowupID: 611366

Reply By: Richard W (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 07:38

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 07:38
Ruth,

Good to hear everything is OK.
AnswerID: 343521

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 09:43

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 09:43
Thanks Richard - hope everything good with you as well.
FollowupID: 611367

Reply By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 07:58

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 07:58
Happy new year to you and Ian Ruth. Glad to hear all is well out there, I would love to see the floods first hand!!!

Cheers

Brian
AnswerID: 343525

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 09:45

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 09:45
Happy New Year to you Brian - it is so great to watch the water coming in. Sometimes you go to sleep and wake up and the water has snuck in overnight and you look out and it's a lake.
FollowupID: 611368

Reply By: Zukscooter - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 08:14

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 08:14
Good morning Ruth, good to hear from you it has been a while & ditto all the above,take care as we all know you will.It wiil be nice & green out the west this yr i'm guessing it will be quite beutifull in winter.

Bless you,
Bob.
AnswerID: 343526

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 10:02

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 10:02
Hello Zukie - we've been a bit quiet on here - should be a wonderful season, a lot will depend on follow up rain and how much heat there is. If not too hot it will mean the flowers might germinate and hold for a while.
FollowupID: 611371

Reply By: Olsen's 4WD Tours and Training - Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 20:00

Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 20:00
Hi Ruth and Ian.

I heard Roseberth was a bit wet. Are the Morton's swimming around?

David and Justine
AnswerID: 343956

Reply By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 20:35

Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 20:35
Hello Ruth,

Thanks for the photos and news about the floods up there. Hopefully the beer will last, the fish will start biting and the country bloom when the floods are gone. It certainly is an amazing country.

I hope one day we get back up there and say hello to you.

All the best

Viv

AnswerID: 343967

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 00:11

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 00:11
Hi Ruth and Ian, good to here from you again, sounds like all is well, except that you are flooded in, but im sure you can find something to do.
Hows the grandies count going, catching me yet?
5 here now, oldest 7 1/2 and youngest 16 months.
Hope to get back up and catch up again one day.

Cheers Pesty and Glenda
AnswerID: 347757

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 08:16

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 08:16
Hi Pesty and Glenda, now we have slowed in the grandie stakes - 3 girls, 3 1/2, 23 months and 9 months (it's dangerous for them to come visiting to Birdsville) - see what happens.
Ian's hoping the fish and yabbies will get a go on now - make a change from the midgies and sandflies (gee they'll be bad when the water goes down). Hasn't peaked yet - 7.2m yesterday and the flood boat is tied up to the town grid on the eastern side.
Everyone is ok - no fresh milk or vegies or fruit left - couple of snakes at the Hospital this week (they are closest to the water) but the views are nice.
We will see you down there before you get back up here!
FollowupID: 615990

Sponsored Links