TAMBO CAMPER OR BULLOAK CAMPER OR OTHER???

Submitted: Monday, Jan 19, 2009 at 20:20
ThreadID: 65269 Views:14040 Replies:7 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Looking to buy an off camper trailer for a trip around OZ and would appreciate any readers comments on these 2 brands - TAMBO CAMPERS AND BULLOAK CAMPERS (or another). Both companies are from VIC but we live in Newcastle NSW, and these two brands we have narrowed down in terms of value for money, strength and quality features. The camper is to suit 2 adults and 2 kids (ages 5 and 2) and we are keenly interested in good or bad feedback as well as any useful info that we should consider when ordering a camper for such a trip....We will be towing with a 1999 Rodeo Dual Cab 2.8L Turbo Diesel vehicle. Nothing special, but reliable and we own it and dont want to fork out more dough on updating vehicle as well. We are planning to go for as long as our money lasts (4 months + ) and plan to keep the camper after the trip for many more years of family camping trips in school holidays etc etc...We have been looking for used campers along these lines but are finding the search very difficult and hardly ever seem to come onto the market!! As much help and advise possible please....
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Monday, Jan 19, 2009 at 20:46

Monday, Jan 19, 2009 at 20:46
Search this forum and you will find plenty of recomendations for the Tambo.We've had ours for 4yrs now and are planning to head off around Australia for "as long as we like" in it soon.
Great camper.
AnswerID: 345124

Follow Up By: just goin - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 07:45

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 07:45
Hi Nick,
Thanks for your comments. Is there anything about your Tambo that you did or didnt get added that you think that we should consider having for such a big trip??
FollowupID: 613149

Follow Up By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 13:55

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 13:55
We got-side lift(best thing you can do), treg hitch, toolbox and full walls/front as options.I have added heaps to our camper since, just like to do things my way.
The only thing to have gone wrong with ours in 4yrs, was a zip runner wore out causing the zipper to split when you done it up.And after 4yrs, Tambo supplied new runners and colour coded cotton to replace runner for free.
Great service.
FollowupID: 613185

Reply By: Pat Malone - Monday, Jan 19, 2009 at 21:01

Monday, Jan 19, 2009 at 21:01
Try Westlat in Ballarat Vic.

top quality at a very fair price.

Pat.

AnswerID: 345128

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Monday, Jan 19, 2009 at 23:26

Monday, Jan 19, 2009 at 23:26
If you have a family of 4, you may want to take a look at the Camprite camper trailer. The big advantage of the Camprite is that all your family is up off the ground and in there own beds. Its a very quick setup with no pegs required (only when the annexe is put up). Here is a pick of the inside (with bunk beds).

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 345152

Follow Up By: just goin - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 07:48

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 07:48
Hi Captain,
Wow what an impressive setup for a camper trailer. The sleeping off the ground does appeal to me for the sake of the kids being comfy....price and budget is the prob for us. We can go for longer around oz if we watch what we spend before we go. Will look at the camprite website though for sure and check out their prices etc etc thanks again for the pics - great to see setups like this, Cheers
FollowupID: 613151

Reply By: Member - Tour Boy- Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 11:35

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 11:35
Central Coast Canvas near Gosford do an awsome camper top. We spent 6 months looking in person to various makes and models and these came up trumps, built as we wanted it no arguments just a simple no worries.
The trailer to put under it was built by Central Coast Trailers and the same, we told them about the pounding we were going to give it in the gulf and cape and was built how we wanted and it didn't break.
After 5 weeks and 12000km in bulldust and corrugations we only had very minute dust in the camper and trailer.

We sold it for the same price we paid for it when we moved interstate and are giong to get them to make us another one soon and bring it up to QLD.

We had 16 ft tent and awning and the 15oz ripstop canvas is that good that at night with lights on in the tent, you cant see a shadow from outside, so no worries for the ladies getting changed. Huge windows and plenty of air and also a large rolldown clear window so you can have light on overcast days.

No affiliation just a VERY happy camper.

Cheers
Dave
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 345187

Follow Up By: Member - Dick (Int) - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 21:10

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 21:10
Hi Dave

Could you provide some pics of the trailer and any specs you can give would be appreciated. Either post them here or email them to me. Since I am from Newcastle I might go and have a look at their work.

Could you supply contact info on Central Coast Canvas and Central Coast Trailers.

Cheers
Dick

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 613254

Follow Up By: Member - Tour Boy- Wednesday, Jan 21, 2009 at 09:36

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2009 at 09:36
Hi Dick,
http://www.centralcoastcanvas.com.au/

http://www.yellowpages.com.au/bi/central-coast-trailers--caravans-pty-ltd-charmhaven-nsw-3149850.html

I don't think that his website does the campers justice
His name is Terry and the trailer guy is Gary. If you had a traiiler built by Gary, Terry would go and pick it up for you free and build the top to suit.
I had the springs on top of the axle which made mine quite high and Terry didn't charge for the extra canvas.
I'll have to dig out the pics.

Cheers
Dave
Cheers,
Dave
2015 Fortuner

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 613294

Follow Up By: Member - Tour Boy- Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 11:59

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 11:59
Hi Dick, I have found a couple for you, not the best but they will give you the idea.Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found

Cheers
Dave
Cheers,
Dave
2015 Fortuner

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 614115

Reply By: Alfantz - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 12:49

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 12:49
We have had aTambo for 5 years and have been very happy with it. We also chose this camper for its value for money, strength and quality features and have not been disappointed. We have the standard kitchen on the tailgate and the lift up side. We also have the three side walls for the awning. We rarely use them but like to have them just in case. We have taken it across the simpson without a single problem(Tyres at 8psi), Flinders Ranges and many weekends around the high country in Vic. We have 2 kids currenly 8 and 5 who sleep on camp bunk beds rather than the floor. These can be slid under the matress when packing up, so hardly any dismantling. Keith and Amanda are very pleasant to deal with even after the sale. I have called a few times over the years for advice or for minor repairs (normal wear and tear) and they are always happy to help. I would advise to match the trailer tyres to your car tyres so that you have 2 available spares. I know the design has changed a little bit over the years so I would go with their advice in terms of extras requred for your needs. These guys use their campers for the same thing we do so they have real life advice on their product. I look at some of the other camper trailers on the market now and sometimes I get envious of the flash kitchen setups, but then I think, what we have is perfect for our needs and it was great value for money. Everthing just works.
AnswerID: 345197

Follow Up By: escapesilv - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 14:33

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 14:33
Yes, that is how we feel about our Tambo camper, great quality canvas, very strong trailer and very well designed, extremely good value for money.

Cheers
FollowupID: 613195

Reply By: escapesilv - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 14:22

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 14:22
Yes another Tambo fan, we have had ours for 2 and 1/2 years , drove down from Sydney to pick it up, and came back along the coast, enjoying the trip and the new camper.
Done more than 30.000 Km. with it and I cant remember how many camping nights, and will be of again this long weekend.
Good luck and enjoy whatever you go for.

AnswerID: 345214

Reply By: ian - Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 18:08

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 18:08
I don't know Bulloak, but our Tambo has been great. With friends who also have Tambo Campers we have been all over OZ. Not a problem at any time except punctures in very rough country. Ian
AnswerID: 345751

Sponsored Links