Abercrombie River National Park

Hi people,
I am planning a trip (from Canberra) to Abercrombie River Nat Park, camping at silent creek .
apart from the river wheel generator. is there anything else to do around there.

I have looked at the trek report on this site and have downloaded the plots. also, i have contacted the Nat Parks people for a brochure.

has anyone been there and have some comments on the area.

I will be leading a trip there with 7 4wds so far, in March
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Landy - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 14:27

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 14:27
Hi

It is a great spot......haven't been for a while. Can do some bush walking, I've been up along Silent Creek which is enjoyable. Not sure about fishing at present...

River Wheel Generator is on private property from memory...took a picture of it for the trek report.

Let us know how you go....

Cheers
AnswerID: 348863

Follow Up By: Navigator 1 (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 23:06

Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 23:06
The road goes right alongside the 'river' so you get an excellent, close up view of the water wheel. The suspension bridge is also worth a look.Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
The outback calls

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 617326

Reply By: bockstar1 - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 15:32

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 15:32
I was there about this time last year. Spent the weekend at the Beach Campground. We visited both Silent Creek and The Sink. Having seen all 3, my pick would be the Beach as there was water there. Silent Creek was dry.

Silent Creek is the biggest by far and it could do you group of 7.

There's plenty of good 4WD'ing throughout the whole park and being fairly remote, it was quiet - saw only 2 other cars the entire weekend. We had a great time and would go there again.

Both Silent Creek and the Beach have a pit toilet. Can't remember about the Sink.

Silent and Beach will take Camper Trailers. The Sink camping area is cabled off to Trailers.

Cheers
AnswerID: 348875

Follow Up By: Navigator 1 (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 22:45

Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 22:45
The Sink campground has a pit toilet.
The old kitchen sink on the grassed area was put there by campers before the area was set up as a National Park.
Great area!
The outback calls

FollowupID: 617323

Reply By: curious - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 15:35

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 15:35
Greg,
It's a lovely little park, one of my favourites when I want to escape for a few days out of Sydney. The tracks are reasonably steep and good 4WD but nothing too challenging. I was in the area (but not the park) two days ago and all the local creeks are very dry. Hopefully we'll get some rain by March before your trip.

There's an old bush camp in the centre of the park (Licking Hole) from the days when it was a cattle property. In the north, there's an old abandonned homestead that's worth a wander through. The Beach is one of the camping grounds, long stretch of sand beside the waterhole. There's fish in the creek but I believe they're protected. The NP brochure is quite good especially the maps.

The park entrance from Porters Retreat was closed last time; not sure whether NP will reopen it again so the only entrance now is through Arkstone.

- Peter
AnswerID: 348878

Follow Up By: Navigator 1 (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 22:52

Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 22:52
I believe the old abandoned homestead is called Leddinghams. It belonged to an old gold miner.
S34 02 42.3 E149 39 45.5
Rob
The outback calls

FollowupID: 617324

Follow Up By: Navigator 1 (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 23:09

Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 23:09
Correction - LedinghamsImage Could Not Be Found
The outback calls

FollowupID: 617327

Reply By: Leigh Haywood - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 21:10

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 21:10
We camped at The Sink 3 weeks ago. The Retreat River was just flowing, however none of the other rivers and creeks in the National Park were flowing and were pretty stagnant.

It is a great National park, and you don't see too many people in there.

Also, although just off the blacktop, we stayed at Bummaroo Ford, a small part of the Park on the Oberon-Goulburn Road. It was easily accessible for 2WD and even caravans, and very quiet - a good place to stop on your way from Canberra if you head off in the afternoon, and don't want to be 4wding in the dark.
AnswerID: 348936

Reply By: Richard W (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 11:21

Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 11:21
Greg,

As said, great park with a few nice tracks around the place. One of the entry/exits Brass Walls has steep red clay tracks so if it starts to rain it can get pretty slippery the other entry/exit Abercrombie Fire Trail is shale and usually OK. We usually camp at Silent Creek as it's a nice big area with a long drop. As said its usually dry.
Was camped on Retreat Creek just off the track one night when it started to rain and the creek started to rise so we had to move camp.
AnswerID: 349007

Sponsored Links