camping on the nullarbor

Submitted: Friday, Mar 06, 2009 at 19:41
ThreadID: 66578 Views:14188 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
can anyone tell me if there are anyother places to camp on or near the ocean that are not on the yalata communities areas that are free or lower cost with nice views on the nullarbor and does anyone know what the old eyre highway road is like can you camp near there and what is the scenery. so generaly after sometips on bush camping and thing to see on the nullarbor round september
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, Mar 06, 2009 at 20:57

Friday, Mar 06, 2009 at 20:57
You an camp at any of the roadside stops. Some are trashy and open and loaded with toilet paper, but may are good and you can get a couple of hundred metres away from the highway. the bigger ones are marked on the Hema maps. A nice spot just west of Ceduna is Davenport Creek.

A few whales at Head of the Bight will still be around in september, but not as plentiful as July/August.Eyre Bird Observatory is worth a visit, but worth phoning them beforehand.Twilight Cove is a great spot where the beach meets the cliffs, and you can free camp nearby.
AnswerID: 352632

Reply By: aka - Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 09:09

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 09:09
About 10 kl,s east of Eucla on the cliffs is a great spot after that there are plenty of of road stops
AnswerID: 352684

Reply By: Member - Richard H (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 15:16

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 15:16
We use the gravel pits. Just to the west of Nullarbor Roadhouse you come very close to the ocean. There are a couple of rest areas off the road there, in towards the ocean, though if a decent sea is running they can be noisy. Also there are some big blue metal dumps. Just keep your eye out for them.

There is a rest area at the top of the hill at Madura. Last time we went through it resembled Tempe Tip. About 20 km further west there is a good rest area on the northern side of the road.

Yeah, keep well clear of beautiful downtown Yatala.

We had a look at the Old Eyre Highway in a couple of places. It's not worth using as it is badly scoured out and not maintained.

It will be cold in September.

I suggest you get yourself the latest copy of Camps Australia Wide, most good paper shops have them as do book sellers. It's a real good investment.

Enjoy the trip, we always do.

Dick
AnswerID: 352740

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 16:47

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 16:47
locklux
I don't often give waypoints away very often, but here is a top spot to stay well away from the main highway.The biggest problem out that way, good camp sites are very few and far between. From memory, the turn off is about 5 kilometres west of Nullarbor Roadhouse. Anyone that knows the area, will testify that it is mainly salt bush with no where to set up away from the main Highway and a private camp site away from all the traffic.

Take the dirt road for my waypoint and you will wonder where on earth am I taking you. Surrounded still by salt bush, you will see in the distance some larger vegetation, which is in fact a small wooded area. It is very secluded in here, about 8 kms from the main road, lots of timber for a great camp fire. The only caution, do not wander fare from your car after dark, as the vegetation is quite dense and it is very easy to get lost. Another precaution, is pack up all your gear before you go to bed, as there are lots of dingos in the area. From here it is only a very short drive to the Head of the Bight Whale viewing area, which is well worth the visit.

Waypoint details

Turn Off : S31 29 49.5 E130 47 22.8

Camp spot : S31 33 39 E130 45 57.8

The above spot will soon change back to open salt bush country within a few kilometres, then it is about another 5 kilometres to cliffs. If you camped there, it will be very windy and no wood at all for that warming camp fire.

Cheers

StephenImage Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 352764

Follow Up By: locklux - Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 16:52

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 16:52
gee thanks mate hay just wondering if you think there will be many whales around september am thinking going down from alice where i live through past lake garnier and the gawler ranges do you know any nice places through there too?
FollowupID: 620910

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 18:20

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 18:20
locklux
As for the whales in September, it will depend on the season. Progressively over the last number of years, the number of whales in the Bight is increasing in number, which is a good thing for them. The spot above is a great spot to stay, as the Head of the Bight is well over 300 kilometres west of Ceduna. My thoughts when in the area, is where are we going to find a great place to camp, and low and behold that spot was the ants pants. Also out that way when coming back from seeing the whales, turn off just west of Nundroo and go out through Wahgunyah Conservation Park and out to Dog Fence Beach. There are some great spots in there for camping. Dog Fence Beach is where the Australian Dingo Fence Ends/Starts. There is a fence line with gate that gives to access down to the beach and good fishing. As through the Gawler Ranges, there are many fine spots, too numerous to mention. Also Fowlers Bay is a great out of the way spot as well.

From the Stuart Highway, make your last fuel stop Glendambo, and make your way down to Wirrulla, then you hit the black stuff again.

Enjoy the West Coast, there is a lot to see over that way.

Cheers again

StephenImage Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 620925

Follow Up By: locklux - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 13:45

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 13:45
thanks so much for those places i really look forward to going to see it all will be interesting as only have 2 weeks but am hoping that i can see as much as possible in that time once again thank you very much
FollowupID: 621105

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 14:00

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 14:00
It is a pleasure to help out. The West Coast is a top spot, with a lot of out of the way places to see and enjoy.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 621107

Sponsored Links