Cameron Corner at Easter

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 15:45
ThreadID: 66601 Views:4713 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys

I'm planning my first real outback trip to Cameron Corner from Sydney. I was thinking of going at Easter - taking 7 days.
Would that be long enough?

I want to do this trip as a test run for other trips I'd like to do later in the year - Strzelecki & Oonadatta Tracks - then up to Alice Springs.

I have a Mitsubishi Express 4WD. I've decked out the inside with secondary battery, inverter, Waeco Fridge, UHF & CB. Just saved up for a roof tray and awning. I'd like to put a water tank underneath where the spare wheel is at present (putting 2 spares on the roof) but can't find any for an Express.

I'm travelling just with my 2 dogs. I understand I can't stop in the Sturt NP with the dogs - but believe it'll be OK to camp at Cameron Corner.

Any advice would be really appreciated. I really want to start exploring my outback country!

Happy travels :-)

Lovin' it!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: On Patrol & TONI - Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 16:40

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 16:40
Campergirl
That will be a good starter trip, as it is not too hard to do, but gives a you real feel for the outback. I did that trip in my Subaru in 2005 with ease. Just be sure you de water the dogs etc... in Tibooburra before entering the park, the drive out to the corner is easily do able in a couple of hours seeing as you cannot stop too long in the park, yes dogs are OK at the "Corner store" but not much else. The tracks are well maintained and are used by road trains. The run I did was from Tibooburra to Gum Vale homestead then across to Hewart Downs then north via Fort Grey, that way you will avoid entering the park until you are much nearer to the "Corner".

Use your common sense and enjoy your trip, you will however miss some things due to the dogs, but they will be good company to help compensate for that.
Cheers Colin.
AnswerID: 352762

Follow Up By: Campergirl - Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 18:35

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 18:35
Thanks heaps Colin.

I know I'll miss some places due to the dogs but as you said - they are great company. I don't travel anywhere without them - mainly as I'm by myself so they're great watchdogs as well.

Take care :-)
Lovin' it!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 620934

Reply By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 19:26

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 19:26
I am sure you will be fine but it will probably take you three days each way. Pity you could not take a few more days.

AnswerID: 352789

Reply By: Member - Happy Gutz (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 20:25

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 20:25
Campergirl, we were planning the same trip going from Roma to Camerons Corner and returning with friends who were coming up through Broken Hil but we might be putting the trip on hold due to road conditions. There is s strong possibility of flooding out there around Easter. We are watching the road condition websites before we make a decision. If I can work out how to put a link up, I'll do sol
AnswerID: 352801

Follow Up By: Campergirl - Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 20:45

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 20:45
Thanks for that. I thought it would be dry then but I'll keep looking at the road conditions link.

Wish I could go longer but that's all the time I can spare.

:-)
Lovin' it!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 620961

Reply By: psproule - Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 21:05

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 21:05
You know there is nothing much at Camerons corner don't you? An intersection, a small pub / servo and a fence? Just don't want you to be disappointed.

Pat
AnswerID: 352814

Follow Up By: Campergirl - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 08:50

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 08:50
Yes - I've Google Earth'd the roads and the Corner. It's really more the getting there and "ticking off" a place I've always wanted to travel to. Thought it would be a good test run before I start heading further out. Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. :-)
Lovin' it!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 621048

Follow Up By: richard - Friday, Mar 13, 2009 at 17:54

Friday, Mar 13, 2009 at 17:54
Hi go for it.

I have planned 3 trips to CC just because it is there like you but have not made one of them yet for various reasons :)

Good luck and enjoy,
Richard
FollowupID: 621961

Follow Up By: Campergirl - Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 16:09

Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 16:09
Hi Richard

Thanks for that. Good point - whether I get there this trip or the next, I will get there one day! The adventure will take it's course.

Lovin' it!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 622289

Reply By: Member - extfilm (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 21:19

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 21:19
Hi Camper girl,
After I found out Sandy Cape on Fraser island is closed I have been tossing up whether to go Lake fromme, Gammon Ranges, cam corner, and back to sydney. Or Mungo, mutawinji, cam corner and back to Sydney. Either way will be going through Cameron corner a few days after easter.
I am leaving Sydney at 4pm on the thursday and doing the hard slog to get to at least SA in one go.
It takes approx 16 hours to get to broken hill then about 5 hours from Broken hill if that is the way you choose to go. Otherwise if you choose to go through bourke, then I am unsure. Have not done that way yet.
May catch u up there.
To get there will not be a drama in the express. Just take loads of water.
Peter
AnswerID: 352822

Follow Up By: Campergirl - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 08:48

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 08:48
Thanks Peter - This trip I was going to go via Broken Hill and return via Bourke - but the weather is really going to play a part in all of it.

Working on the water situation - looking into getting a tank made. Just researching the different companies etc.

Be great to catch up along the way. I'll keep you posted.

Lovin' it!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 621047

Reply By: Member - Richard H (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 10:03

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 10:03
The Silver City Highway from BHQ to Tibooburra is approx. half sealed. The road is in good condition, though in inclement weather it is closed. The length of closure is determined by the amount of precipitation. Watch out for wildlife, early mornings and late afternoons for roos, and all day for emus.

The road from Tibooburra to Cameron's Corner is stoney, so it is not a speedway.

If you are proposing to travel via Broken Hill you should allow for about 10 days, of course you could do it in a week, but you'll be rushed, and if anything goes wrong, you will be cutting things fine.

You can get from Sydney to BHQ in a day and a half, easy, I do it sometimes in 14 hours, but you'll be pretty well worn out for a couple of days afterwards, if you do. Depending on where you live, but it is quicker to travel via The Pacific High to Hexham, then head west towards Dubbo, via Merriwa. You don't have to go over the mountains, or negotiate Bathurst, Orange and Wellington.

I suggest that you aim for a rest area 60 km west of Cobar called Rocky Glen. It is off the highway, and has a fairly new loo & a water tank. We stay there with our van fairly often, and I think it is quite safe. If you intend to overnight at BHQ, please go out to Silverton and stay at Penrose Park. It is quite good and they need all the donations they can get, and they'll take dogs, no problem.Silverton is worth a looksee too.

There is good camping at Milparinka & a pub. Tib. is expensive & doesn't have that much to offer, other than fuel. You might check of the NPWS office there, as they have a good display

Cameron's Corner Store is in QLD. so their camping area is out of Sturt National Park, so dogs are OK.

I can't help you with the road from Tibooburra to Bourke via Wanaaring, but from all accounts it's allright.

With your dogs though, I suggest that you keep them close by and secure them as there is a fairly serious 1080 baiting program going on in this district, and if they take one you have a serious problem. Check for signage. The RSPCA has a facility in Broken Hill with vets. on call if required.

Dick
Broken Hill
AnswerID: 352877

Sponsored Links