Darling River Run Feedback

Hi
Would like to travel in Falcon wagon from Bourke to Mildura via Wilcannia and Menindee along the Darling river. What is the general condition of the roads?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Redfive - Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 21:44

Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 21:44
Hi

Yes you could if you take it easy and hope is doesnt rain and maybe carry a 2nd spare tyre if you can

Glenn
AnswerID: 353166

Reply By: DIO - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 09:15

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 09:15
An easy trip in a car, have done it numerous times. Biggest problem you are likely to encounter are rain, mud and road closed. Check the weather forecasts before you leave and make sure you have a contingency plan if all goes 'pear shaped'. Make sure that you drive (spped wise) to the conditions of the road.
AnswerID: 353198

Reply By: Member - Richard H (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 17:42

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 17:42
Though you can do the journey in one day, try to break it into two. There is a decent motel in Menindee plus two pubs. All have accommodation.

Similarly, Pooncarie has accommodation at the Telegraph Hotel. You'll hit the bitumen there.

The road on the western side is the better maintained of the two, though the one on the eastern side is closer to the river and there is more to see.

Fuel is expensive in Wilcannia. I'm advised that the fuel retailler in a back street near the cop shop is cheaper than the one on the highway through town.

If it has been raining or looks like it will, detour through Broken Hill, because you won't get very far, and there you'll stay.
AnswerID: 353263

Follow Up By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 22:01

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 22:01
As above!

Did the trip last August. Perfectly feasible in a two wheel drive, just drive to the conditions. My suggestion is to drive down the east side from Bourke to Wilcannia then to the west side to Wentworth.

I would NOT try to do this in one day, it would require too high an average speed, all you would see is the road in front of you. I would hate you to have to speed past the Louth, Tilpa, Menindee and Pooncarie pubs, not to mention the churches.

Fuel in Wilcannia----do not fill up at the Shell, the operator wears an iron breastplates and riveted helmet. On the west (town) side of the river and south of the main road by about two blocks is the BP Depot who retail fuel a hell of a lot cheaper than the other afore mentioned joint. Fuelling at the BP is an experience, the above ground tanks are inside a weld mesh fence wherein reside the ugliest, bloodthirsty looking (and sounding), curs you have ever seen. At strategic points around the premises the offspring of the above mentioned curs are tethered. No one is getting in to that place unannounced during or after business hours. Although I found the initial experience a little unsettling the lady who pumped my fuel handed me heaps of tourist info, maps etc. without prompting.

This trip should not be done over two days, there is much to see and a zillion photo ops along the way.

If you use the search function and look up "Darling River Run" there is a heap of info. I"m very glad I used that feature prior our trip.

One last point. We stopped for two days in Kinchega National Park and just got out after overnight rain, phoned the the road authority who told us that the road from Menindee to Pooncarie was open so off we went. Big mistake, we got a ways down the road and it was a major effort in four wheel drive to keep the car and camper on the crown. If I had half a chance of turning the rig around and going back to Menindee I would have done so however there was no way I would have turned in the table drains. - So! If it rains even lightly stick to the tar.

Ian

FollowupID: 621461

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 08:45

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 08:45
The Darling River Run is a lovely trip.

I did it in 2000 accompanied by friends one in a Tarago and the other in a Commodore. The Tarago was pulling a Jayco on road camper trailer and had no problems. The at in the commode buckled a wheel on a bridge. Take it easy.

We did the trip from Sydney to Sydney in 10 days. The Bourke to Wentworth section involved 4 driving days.Bourke to Louth, Louth to Tilpa, Tilpa to Menindee and Menindee to Wentworth.

We had a couple of nights in Menindee. We went direct to Wentworth and based ourselves there for a few nights while we travelled back to Mungo for a day trip.

I think the NRMA have an information package for the trip and there is good information available for the Broken Hill Tourist Info Centre.

The info you have been given above is pretty good. The must see for me in this trip is at Louth. You need to spend a night there and ask at Shindy's Inn about the reflection from the headstone at sunset.

Duncs
AnswerID: 353356

Reply By: OzTroopy - Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 23:59

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 23:59
Sometimes its good & sometimes its not .....

Just an amusing link ........

LINK
AnswerID: 353525

Sponsored Links