TELSTRA USB 7 SERIES MODEM USERS, ARE YOU HAPPY WITH IT

Submitted: Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 17:08
ThreadID: 67257 Views:4534 Replies:13 FollowUps:22
This Thread has been Archived
I am on the road at the moment on the East Coast and bought 7.2 TELSTRA USB modem (NOT A BIGPOND VERSION)

Apart from a week in Sydney and when I was living near Brisbane this modem has not performed to expectations at all.

Stayed at Surfers, it was OK mostly, Moved south to Broken Head, It was crap,
Coffs Harbour still the same, Trial Bay, Port Maquarie and Port Stephens all crap.
What has been happening is that it loses signal and locks up, still shows as connected and wont disconnect just churns away. Have to turn computer off to get it to drop.
Am now in Batemans bay and getting the same problem.

Went into the new Telstra Life shop here and talked to a guy who said" We try not to sell these here as they are basically a city modem and need a strong signal to work properly."
Great i said and I was sold it with the express purpose of doing the round the block trip.
Now because its 5 months old they wont do a refund.
We shall see what Fair Trading says about that.

They will give me a 21 series on a 24 month 5gigfor $89 a month

Ha bloody ha Can get 40gig a month for less than that off IInet when I get home in 6 months or so.

Anyway looking at options for a replacement.

1 The new 21 series $800 plus
2 The older but supposedly better Compass $400 plus

3 An unlocked Bigpond Blue home wireless modem.
which can take an external aerial.

I know some are using them and how do you find them for reception.
Thanks I need to know asap as there is one on Ebay

Cheers
Graham

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 17:09

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 17:09
Oh for an edit facility Should be a 7 series
AnswerID: 356606

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 17:11

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 17:11
Gday

When we go away we take the wife's Telstra phone and plug that into the laptop and pay a extra $10 a month when we need it. It's enough to surf the web and send mail. When we are back we cancel the $10 per month till we need it again.

AnswerID: 356607

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 17:18

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 17:18
thanks but I have an extra sim card on a casual data plan that can go from $5 a month to whatever depending on what I feel I might use.

Am on 5 gig for $89 at the moment cos am on the net quite a bit.

Also is a 12 month data only contract so cant use it in my fone as far as I know.

FollowupID: 624660

Reply By: Member - Jan B (VIC) - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 17:50

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 17:50
I have a 7'Series which we use at home and on the road. We were sold the 7' Series as being the same as the Next G phones.

We travelled through the Victorian high country, along the Murray River,southern NSW and parts of SA. The only time we didn't have reception was when our Next G phone didn't have reception.

Will be travelling the Kimberleys starting in May hopefully we won't have any problems.

Cheers Jan
AnswerID: 356616

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 17:56

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 17:56
So was I but like the phones not all are created equal

I have a Nokia 6120 which has a good signal in all the places the modem doesnt.

FollowupID: 624667

Reply By: Sigmund - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 18:31

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 18:31
I guess you've tried the obvious, like getting a USB extension lead and putting the modem up higher, and outside of metal roofs etc.
AnswerID: 356621

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 18:42

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 18:42
No I havent but it also does it when sitting out in the annexe.

Thanks
FollowupID: 624673

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 19:23

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 19:23
It MUST be on a USB extension lead, even a short one, to avoid iterference from the laptop.
There would have been one supplied with the modem for that reason.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
FollowupID: 624683

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 19:45

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 19:45
Yes there is but nowhere in the manual does it say that it
MUST be used.
In fact the only mention is that a USB extension cord is included

However I will try using it

FollowupID: 624692

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 08:47

Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 08:47
Tried that last night and it still did the same Had to shut down as after disconnecting after 3 mins of churning away it then couldnt find distant computer and closed the port.
FollowupID: 624773

Reply By: robertbruce - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 19:46

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 19:46
heya G.... i had the blue bigpond usb modem and was able to connect 99.9% of the time, speed was ok depending on the server pulling stuff from.... Ive not got the 7.2 bigpuddle modem/router which runs on ethernet, it is excellant ... it has much better connect speeds and has connected everywhere except the camping-area teewah beach... in city area this modem absolutly flys ... 318k's/s on mutliple torrents..... a good connect speed is important for me

on whirlpool, for modem speed, they say apparently it is better to have a bigpond internet account rather than a telstra account... it shouldnt make a differnce...
AnswerID: 356639

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 19:59

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 19:59
Please note I said NOT the bigpond USB

I have a TELSTRA model on the TELSTRA 3G network and while its all one big ripoff the service is different.

Is the modem router you have the blue one with two aerials that connects to the computer with an ethernet cable but connects to the internet by wireless

Torrents you naughty boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FollowupID: 624696

Follow Up By: robertbruce - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 20:25

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 20:25
yerr, ino you said not bigpond but im astounded the service delivery is differant, or did you mean to say the service is the same....

the modem-router i now have is predometly white with blue sides and two aerials.... it connects to a computer by 1 0f 4 ethernet or 11g(wireless) and it connects to the intrnet using any of the 3g or 2g bands, but ive got it fixed to 850 ... the modem i use to have was smaller, irresdesant blue, had two aerials & connected by usb to one computer and connected to the internet by 3g... usb isnt a preferble way to connect to machines but ethernet cables also differ in tx speed...

what happened with, was it the aca? taking iinet to court over torrents....lol...
FollowupID: 624704

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 20:38

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 20:38
they may use the same network but for billing they are locked to one or the other.
Eg you cant use a Telstra sim in a bigpond modem or you arent supposed to be able to.

Is the white one you have fairly new. I saw one today which is a GATEWAY which is a combined router/modem as you describe and is a Bigpond device The one I mean is this one

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270361419788&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:AU:1123

The one Im after is unlocked so can use it on any network
Cheers
FollowupID: 624706

Follow Up By: robertbruce - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 20:49

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 20:49
the one i have is the one you would have been shown today... 7.2 gateway, it is excellant.. .... there is supposd to be an even faster one and a military-type model for ambo, police

the one on ebay is the type i used to have and it was far better than any other short of the one i have now... i still have it as a back-up.... if i have to use it as a b/u i would put bigger aerials on it. It wouldnt go as fast as the 7.2Gateway but it would be all i needed...
FollowupID: 624710

Follow Up By: Red Tail Black (WA) - Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 00:46

Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 00:46
Hi Guys
We are on the road at the moment and have the Big Pond 7.2 Gateway. This message is coming from 50kms south of the Nullarbor homestead we are camped on a slight rise behind lots of bushes. Signal is strong and fast.. Have had black spots across the but would say for the money its doing the job.
Cheers
FollowupID: 624747

Reply By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 06:34

Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 06:34
I have had a Bigpond blue USB wireless modem for over 12 months and have recently bought a high gain antennae from Maxon (who make the USB device). Currently travelling in SA but live on Sth Coast NSW in a 'Telstra black spot'where it enables me to get a good signal where previously I had difficulty getting and staying connected with a low gain antennae bought from Telstra shop some 14 months ago. (I dont bother having ADSL at home as we are on the road for at least 6 months every year somewhere exploring Oz.) The new antennae cost me $100 but is worth it as my contract still has almost two years to run with Bigpond.

I used the device with the low gain antennae when we travelled in Qld for 5 months last year and had coverage in many places, despite visiting some quite out of the way spots.

Would not touch a Telstra modem without antennae point!

Since we left home over a week ago, have been able to connect with an average to strong signal everywhere apart from Mambray Creek in Mt Remarkable N Pk south of Pt Augusta about 80kms.
Have stayed Yackandandah, in two places bushcamping on the Murray R (in Vic then SA), Yeldulknie Weir near Cleve and now Louth Bay (both on Eyre Peninsula SA).

Link to Maxon is below (I hope) if you want to have a look

http://maxon.com.au/shop/index.php?cPath=22&osCsid=031fbdd982379d700fe675a62822adad

Regards,
Heather

Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 356687

Follow Up By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 18:38

Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 18:38
Hi Heather,
there are 16 items on that page (maxon), can you be a bit more specific as to which item you bought; much appreciated. Thanks.
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 624829

Follow Up By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 18:46

Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 18:46
Hi Fred B.
Yep, its the High Gain Magnetic base antennae - cost $100.10 plus 'shipping' which cost me around $16. Theres a 14 day return period from the date of the invoice if you arent happy with it.

Regards,
Heather

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 624830

Follow Up By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 18:49

Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 18:49
Also to Fred,
You should have one of the SMA adaptors which came with the original Bigpond package and it attaches to that and clips into the antennae point on the blue USB thing. At least mine did.
Heather

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 624831

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 11:42

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 11:42
As I have a TELSTRA blue modem which is a ZTE brand Im sorry but

none of this helps at all as it does not have a facility for an external

aerial other than an induction version similar to what is used with my

Nokia 6120
FollowupID: 624916

Follow Up By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 15:40

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 15:40
Sorry Graham,
I was replying to the question that Fred asked me. I realise that it wont help you and I think I misread your initial thread post asto you enquiring about getting a Bigpond blue usb modem like the one I have, not the home one. Apologies for wasting your time albeit unintentionally.
Heather

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 624957

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 16:50

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 16:50
Thats Ok What I think I will try and do is buy an UNLOCKED Bigpond blue HOME modem and use that as they (Bigpond) say it has better reception capabilities than the USB devices and as well can put an external aerial on it.

FollowupID: 624965

Reply By: P7OFFROAD Accredited Driver Training - Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 07:56

Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 07:56
I have an Orange Next G modem and find that it does not have much range. I was given an external aerial for it and that makes a huge difference.

Apparently I'm being upgraded to the 'blue' modem next month, it has better range but can't the external aerial.

we'll see what happens

cheers

Dave
AnswerID: 356692

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 08:44

Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 08:44
Make sure you are getting the 21 series and not the 7 series like mine The 21 series only got released yesterday at over $800 to buy outright.
FollowupID: 624772

Reply By: Simon C - Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 09:53

Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 09:53
Graham H

I have 2 of the Telstar 7.2 blue modems. 1 at home and 1 at work. I find the reception brillent (just with the little arial that comes with them). 2 weeks ago I drove Brisbane to Sydney, and I was able to connect (with good signal strength) at Ballina,Broadwater (on the side of the highway), Taree, Anna Bay (near Prt Stevens) and Newcastle. At Christmass time, I was on Starddie (Flinders Beach camping) and also got great reception. The fact that you say it locks you computer up, may indacate a problem there.....not with the devise it self . There may be a program conflict that is causing you head aches. Telstra Shops know jack &%#! about the anything other than selling you plans. I would try and loacate a small communications shop and get them to look at it for you. Wheather you like it or not, Telstra still has the better coverage Aust wide......
AnswerID: 356699

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 15:13

Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 15:13
?????????????????????? The TELSTRA USB Blue 7 series that I have does not and cannot have an extrenal aerial.

A BIGPOND blue one does have an external aerial but that is a different animal.

It doesnt lock the computer up.
This is what happens

You can be using it for say 20 mins but not any definite time.

you go to change sites or check email and it cant find site etc

On opening the graphic display of the modem it has a zero receive speed and doesnt kick into life. It has a send speed but nothing in.

It still shows as connected so when you try to disconnect it takes about 2-3 mins to drop out.

After it finally does and the light is still on on the modem if you hit connect again it churns away trying to connect and finally doesnt and gives a Cant find remote computer and am now closing the port message.

Usually I reboot to get it to go again.

Have updated firmware to MO1 (the latest)
This hasnt made any difference.
Have uninstalled and reinstalled the software 3 times.
Have tried on my other laptop Still the same.
Tried using USB cable still the same

Have had a gutsful and it probably isnt software because this machine hasnt got much in common with the other one.
Only common thing maybe Nortons Internet Security 2009

As it didnt do it when in Brisbane and Sydney which are both high signal strength areas I think it is just a poor modem that hasnt the guts to stay on signal yet when i look at the signal bars they can be on 3 and it still drops out.

Beats me and I can usually fix most problems myself.

I think the statement that the guy here said "they are only a city modem" may be correct as the Telstra tech I spoke to when I told him said "" strange to get a salesman being honest"

Seems prophetic doesnt it.

May buy the old blue home modem and try that as cant get anywhere near max 7.2 anyway.

Any suggestions welcome.
FollowupID: 624812

Reply By: Sigmund - Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 14:23

Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 14:23
Sounds like there may be two problems: signal strength and something else.

If it's freezing the machine you may have hardware or software incompatibilities.
AnswerID: 356728

Reply By: stevesub - Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 14:54

Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 14:54
I have a Blue NextG with low gain external antenna (Maxon $30 job) and find it excellent everywhere we have been. Had it for nearly 3 years with no problems. I change plans frequently depending on expected usage but am usually on the 5GB plan when travelling and the cheapest one when home.

We have ADSL at home as when my wife is away for work, I still need ADSL at home and she uses the NextG.

As for the Vodafone USB modem I am using right now in NZ, what a piece of c**p - it is worse than useless with no decent reception and locks up from time to time.

Stevesub
AnswerID: 356729

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 15:19

Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 15:19
Correct me if Im wrong but isnt the Maxon blue modem A BIGPOND version. They both use the next G but the billing is to one or the other.

FollowupID: 624814

Follow Up By: stevesub - Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 19:22

Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 19:22
I have a Bigpond account and use the NextG network with my Blue USB Modem.

Stevesub
FollowupID: 624837

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 15:24

Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 15:24
Difference between TELSTRA and BIGPOND

On TELSTRA you just turn it on and it connects automatically (or manually if not configured for auto ) without you having to sign in.

On BIGPOND you have a login and password.

Whilst they maybe the same company they operate in opposition to each other hence the different systems..

At least thats what they told me.

AnswerID: 356730

Reply By: paulnsw - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 10:01

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 10:01
had a Maxon aerial that Maxon recomened as best available. Went to locations where we had no signal and others with GME aerial had 2 and 3 bars. Returned aerial to Maxon who checked it and said no faulty. Did my cash and bought GME part number AE915. Experienced travellers tell me they outperform all other whip aerials. Bought from Henrys Radio Wodonga with aerial adaptor for $115 and $20 freight. Since been to places we had no reception with Maxon aerial and have 2 bars with GME aerial. We are wrapped in the GME product.
AnswerID: 356816

Reply By: Axel [ the real one ] - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 10:39

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 10:39
Maxon - BP3-usb , where ever mobile phone coverage , fringe areas we use a MobileOne 7dpi bullbar mounted arial to increase signal strength ,, IE: 1 bar becomes 3 -- 3 bars become 5 ,,
also use same arial with different patch lead on our T165i mobile phones , would estimate a 10klm increase in pickup radius from nearest tower ,,,
AnswerID: 356829

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 11:44

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 11:44
Thanks but none of this helps me as I am on TELSTRA and an external aerial cannot be fitted to a TELSTRA BLUE ZTE modem which is the one I am talking about.

FollowupID: 624917

Sponsored Links