travel from Brisbane to Derby W/A

Submitted: Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 01:17
ThreadID: 67319 Views:2275 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi I am looking for any advice on travel from Brisbane Qld to Derby W/A, early May 09. Anyone done that journey? I am using Toyota 80 ser any problem areas ie fuel etc. Thanks Frank
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 02:05

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 02:05
Frank
Your journey will be 4236 Klm from Granard Rd Rocklea to Broome . you won't have any fuel problems , but my advice would be to carry a couple jerry cans if you have them so you can avoid buying expensive fuel at Barkly Homestead between Camooweal and Three Ways , what I will say is this , if you don't have any cans don't go and spend $60 on them, you might as well buy it at the homestead , your only robbing Paul to pay Peter if you get what I mean.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 356968

Follow Up By: Member - Peter R (QLD) - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 08:56

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 08:56
We did the trip in a 1994 80 series with dual fuel.

Had no trouble with getting LPG or Unleaded and diesel was readily available.
As Doug said the cost at Barkly Homestead is pretty dear and you also need to take into consideration the head winds that blow in that area. It eats up your fuel.

It is about 450kms to Three Ways from Camoolweal .

Another place where fuel was expensive was at Timber Creek which is about 290 from Katherine and a further 220 kms to Kununurra -all up 517 kms Katherine to Kununurra.

And don't forget to get rid of fruit and vegies before Kununurra.

A tip they seved excellent barra and chips at the Fish shop near information centre at Derby.

We are off in that general direction in July.

Pedro
FollowupID: 625070

Reply By: Douglas C - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 09:27

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 09:27
Hi Frank W ,
We did the trip in '07 ( and continued around ) pulling a 20ft fullsize van with a 1986 60series diesel plus gas injection . Our Landcruiser has only a 75 litre tank and the 30 litre gas tank helps only a little , but we had no trouble fuelwise , and we were travelling with another couple in a similar size van , towing with a petrol Patrol. The roads are all good , plenty of excellent "free" camps , plus lots of caravan parks ....lots to see and do , hope you have allowed yourself lots of time . When in Derby I hope you will put your crabpots in as plenty of big mudcrabs available ...and good fishing to be had while you wait .
Have a wonderful time ... we did !!!!
Charles. ( Brisbane )
AnswerID: 356998

Sponsored Links