Kimberly - how's it drying out?

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 20:53
ThreadID: 67428 Views:2377 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everyone,

The family and I are heading up to the Kimberly mid April, yep a bit early but you have to make the most of when we can have time off!
I would like to know how the roads are drying out and what's looking like opening. Was planning on heading up the Tanami and to the Bungle bungles first and would like to know if anyone has info on how the opening of the road is progressing?
From there heading accross to Broome, Cape Leveque then will be heading for the GRR.
Any heads up info would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Leroy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 12:40

Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 12:40
Try here-
http://www.exploroz.com/WA/Kimberley/Roads.aspx
AnswerID: 357658

Follow Up By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 12:42

Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 12:42
Site Link
FollowupID: 625762

Follow Up By: Leroy - Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 14:01

Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 14:01
Thanks, saw that but doesn't really tell me what it's all looking like only that a road is open. Also the comments are old.
Hoping that someone on the ground there may be able to give a bit of insight like the graders have started or the wet was long and heavy rain washed out roads etc so they will be opening late. You get the gist.

Cheers,
Leroy
FollowupID: 625771

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 14:39

Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 14:39
Does not really matter Leroy. You can't do anything about it anyway.
Wait 'till you get there.
If you can get in at all it will be stunning, even if lots of bits are still closed. The earlier you get in, the better the rivers and waterfalls will be.
We have been into the Kimberley 6 times. Still have not seen Bell Gorge...... Next time? Seen lots of other stuff though!
If you can't get in there will be plenty of other options and great things to see and do....
Just stop fretting about it, have FAITH.... and an open mind and plan.

Cheers,
Peter
AnswerID: 357675

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 14:42

Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 14:42
Does not really matter Leroy. You can't do anything about it anyway.
Wait 'till you get there.
If you can get in at all it will be stunning, even if lots of bits are still closed. The earlier you get in, the better the rivers and waterfalls will be.
We have been into the Kimberley 6 times. Still have not seen Bell Gorge...... Next time? Seen lots of other stuff though!
If you can't get in there will be plenty of other options and great things to see and do....
Just stop fretting about it, have FAITH.... and an open mind and plan.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 357676

Reply By: Cap'tn Davo - Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 14:45

Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 14:45
G'day Leroy,
check out Birgit Bradtke's website, she lives up there and has the latest road conditions.http://www.kimberleyaustralia.com/
cheers Davo.
I hope to be up there later on.
AnswerID: 357677

Reply By: Rick (S.A.) - Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 16:55

Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 16:55
With a similar query in mind, but more focussed on the Tanami, Halls Creek, Kununurra, Wyndham, Timber Creek & Gregory National Park regions, I have been watching the answers to this thread.

However, the lack of response has been deafening. I have taken this to mean that no-one has an accurate answer, so I rang this am & got the following info:

Timber Creek /Gregory National Park/Bullita/Kalkarinji region: Closed - the blokes are out working on the access but do not currently have an expected date to open.

Halls Creek shire say the Tanami Track is not yet officially open, but they currently have a grader on their side of the border.
Alice Springs provided a report that the Tanami Rd on the NT side is corrugated and open.

Cheers
AnswerID: 357692

Follow Up By: Leroy - Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 09:17

Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 09:17
thanks for the info. Being so early I wouldn't expect travellers know what's going on but more the locals.

When are you heading off?

Cheers,
Leroy
FollowupID: 625901

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 17:09

Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 17:09
G’day Leroy,

I’m with Peter and Margaret on this one, if your going to go mid April no matter what then there is no point fretting about the road conditions it will be whatever it is when you get there. That may mean that you need to factor in some flexibility in the travels, this is not a bad thing. There seems to be some positive news on the Tanami conditions and if you’re doing the bungles first and Broome second you have a bit of time before you hit dirt again. If things are still not up to travelling then maybe some time in Broome or Kununurra.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 357694

Follow Up By: Leroy - Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 09:23

Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 09:23
Who's fretting? I certainly don't get that impression for my OP. Do you not every ask what road conditions are like where you're headed? It's called planning. If you know what's potentially open/closed etc you can plan accordingly ;)

Leroy
FollowupID: 625904

Reply By: VH-GU4 - Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 20:32

Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 20:32
Road from Broome to Cape Leveque has not been shut all year. Graders have already done the major damaged parts. Remember its only 100km of dirt any way.
As for the GGR if its open the graders will be on it, they do it 3-4 times a season. Access roads to gorges may still be shut but there are heaps of them to see anyway so some will have to be open.
AnswerID: 357725

Follow Up By: Leroy - Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 09:19

Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 09:19
that's good news as we'll head to Broome/Cape Leveque way early on and then hopefully by then most will be open by the time we head east.

Thanks,
Leroy
FollowupID: 625902

Sponsored Links