Oodnadatta track - how many days did you take

Planning to do the Oodnadatta track in July and would like some advice from others who have done it.
how many days did you choose to take?
where did you camp?
Which direction do you recommend; east to west OR west to east?

Any other advice gratefully accepted
thanks
Harv 'n Anne
(new to 4WDing)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Signman - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 15:24

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 15:24
Check out Oodnadatta Track on the ' Treks' section. Good info there.
There are a lot of things to visit just off the Track, so study your maps, check out the Pink roadhouse website for POIs. and have a good time.

AnswerID: 359687

Reply By: Wizard1 - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 15:46

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 15:46
How long is a piece of string????????

It could take a day or it could take a week, it all depends on what you want to do and see.

If you wanted to you could get the whole thing done and dusted in a day and a half, if you belt along and see or do nothing.

We travelled from Cadney Road house via Painted Desert to Oodnadatta then south to Marree in a day with a caravan. Didn't see too much apart from the view out of the window, but we were pressed for time.

Like I said it's all up to you.
AnswerID: 359688

Follow Up By: harvnanne - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 16:44

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 16:44
Agreed about the string problem -I suppose thats what I'm trying to deal with.
Any suggestions as to whether you would recommend Cadney Road house via Painted Desert to Oodnadatta over Marla to Oodnadatta. I gather the Painted Desert is fairly spectacular.

harv
FollowupID: 627652

Follow Up By: Tenpounder - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 17:36

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 17:36
Hi there. Haven't done Marla to Oodnadatta, but have done Cadney via Painted Desert to Oodnadatta. A slow drive, but a really enjoyable one. Stay at Arkaringa Station, and do the Painted Desert 'properly', is my suggestion. We stayed at Cadney, got to Arkaringa late morning, left the next morning, and, in between, had a good look at the Painted Desert (late afternoon and early morning - great to see the colours). Great stuff!
But it also occurs to me that, if you want to 'do' the Oodnadatta from end to end, it would be a piece of cake to divert at Oodnadatta, up to the Painted Desert, perhaps a night at Arkaringa, then back to Oodnadatta, and then carry on, regardless of which way you were doing the Oodnadatta.
FollowupID: 627669

Follow Up By: wendys - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 20:10

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 20:10
We found Marla to Oodnadatta uninteresting. On recent trip, did Oodnadatta-Painted Desert, staying at Arkaringa, then on to Cadney Park - a very scenic and interesting way to go. Highly recommend.
FollowupID: 627705

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 16:14

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 16:14
Take a few days, visit Lake Eyre at Halligan Bay, have a beer in the William Creek pub and a dip in the thermal pool at Coward Springs.
One of our favorite camp spots is Berrisford.
Historically, this is one of the most interesting desert routes in Australia.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 359692

Follow Up By: harvnanne - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 16:40

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 16:40
it looks like one the debates I have to have with myself is do I aim to stay at Beresford or Coward Springs. What's your opinion?
Harv
FollowupID: 627651

Follow Up By: Outbackogre - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 17:36

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 17:36
Hi Harv, hope you both had a great Easter. Cheers. Rob.
FollowupID: 627668

Follow Up By: harvnanne - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 18:27

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 18:27
rob
we still would love to have you with us - so am interested in your comments also, though I kmow we can get them face to face soon
BTW had a great easter - fri morn was a highlight
Harv and Anne
FollowupID: 627674

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 19:52

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 19:52
Berrisford is a free camp - dam, big overhead tank, railway buildings, stuff etc, etc.
Coward Springs also has railway buildings, springs, more 'civilised', commercial campground.
Stay at both!
Don't miss the mound springs.....

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
FollowupID: 627702

Reply By: Crackles - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 17:41

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 17:41
2 full days to get a brief look at most attractions along the way. An extra day would get you out to Lake Eyre & a fourth day would allow for a nice slow trip or plane flight out from William creek. 6 hours high speed transit.
Camps at Farina, Coward springs & Algebuckina are all good with great photograhy to be had around any of the old railway ruins at sunset.
Cheers Craig.................
AnswerID: 359700

Reply By: troopy 2005 - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 18:42

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 18:42
Beautiful area ,well worth the effort,we travelled through there in december and spent NYE in coward spring with a sunset to beat any fire works display. Can be a bit rough but generally pretty good road.The bit from marla to oodndatta is well maintained.The owners of the pink roadhouse are most helpful and have a lot of info to give travellers.Take it easy and youll be fine.
AnswerID: 359714

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 20:31

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 20:31
When we last travelled the Oodnadatta Track with our good friends, we started at Oodnadatta (having come from Coober Pedy via the Painted Desert, but chose to camp at Algebuckina Waterhole rather than Oodnadatta. From here we travelled to William Creek and decided to stay two nights, planning to travel out to Halligan bay.
The lady in the Dingo Cafe, which was the place where you booked your stay in the Caravan Park, was somewhat amazed (or perhaps amused) that we wanted to camp for two nights.
After the trip out to Halligan Bay and back, we called in to the Wrightsair office and after speaking to Trevor, had booked a two flight package deal that was irresistible. One flight in the late afternoon out to the Painted Hills traversing a section of Anna Creek Station and a flight the next day that took us out over Lake Eyre and the edge of the Simpson Desert to Dalhousie Springs for a dip in the Springs, then lunch at the Pink Roadhouse, picked up at the airstrip by the "resorts" pink limo. Trevor took our orders (all Oodnadatta Burgers of course) and radioed the requirements through to the Roadhouse. We were hosted by Adam Pate (who has a good sense of humour when you get to know him and is very knowledgable on the area and what works and what doesn't) and enjoyed the banter that flowed.

Where was I?
Oh yeah, after booking this two flight deal, we returned to the Dingo Cafe and booked in for a third night.
This time the lady was "gob-smacked" that we would spend three nights in William Creek.

The point I am making here is that regardless of which direction you travel, with a little bit of pre trip planning and flexibility, you will get the most "value" out of your trip.

Depending on where you are coming from, you can drive up the bitumen to Coober Pedy (which is worth a stopover for one night at least) then head out to the Breakaways and across the moon plains. Following the Dino Fence, you will join up with the Coober Pedy/Oodnadatta track and may choose to travel out to Arkaringa Homestead (turn off at Mt Barry) for an overnight stay. A little before sunset, you drive out to the lookout points in the Painted Desert and view the display of colours as the sun sets. After travelling on to Oodnadatta and a wander around town, you can head out to the Algebuckina Waterhole (opposite side of the Track to the Bridge) for an overnight camp. Then travel on to William Creek for a must visit to one of the Outback's most iconic Pubs and a stay for one, two, or three nights. (as per above choices)

From William Creek you have the choice of several Poi's and historic places along the Track and then have the choice of turning off the Track at Bopeechee and head along the Borefield Track to Roxby Downs and the bitumen, or continue along the Oodnadatta Track to Marree.

Just one of several choices, but regardless of which way you travel or where you chose to stop along the route, you will enjoy the experience of some of my favorite places in the SA Outback.

Bill
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 359730

Reply By: harvnanne - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 21:16

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 21:16
Anne and I are very very appreciative of these suggestions
please keep them coming
most helpful to have comments from recent travellers

harv
AnswerID: 359737

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (14)