Kimberley & Kakadu

What are everyone's thoughts on minimum time to spend in both these areas and the must see/do

We are in a patrol towing Off road C/T, but would prefer to base camp and do days trips

Is that possible?

Terry & Amanda
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 22:23

Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 22:23
Hi Terry and Amanda

Last year we spent nine weeks in the Kimberley, but spent longer than planned in Kununurra. We were over three weeks going through the Gibb River Road, and we only went to the major tourism places - including Mitchell Falls and Kalumburu. My blogs tell of what we did and saw.

Kakadu will be included in this year's trip - time frame "as long as it takes".
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 361748

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 22:30

Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 22:30
Terry & Amanda
I spent six weeks there in 2006 and would have stayed longer if the upcoming monsoons were not playing on my mind.
Take a good Barra combo and you will spend many days enjoying the place as there is just so much to see there.
There are not a lot of places to shop for food so be prepared.

Stay away from the rivers at night, cause the crocks have some very bad habits and no table manners at all.

Mainey . . .
AnswerID: 361753

Follow Up By: dact - Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 22:47

Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 22:47
Hmm perhaps I should have mentioned we are circumnaviting oz anti-clockwise and need to be back in melb by mid Dec.

Just trying to work out how much in the itinery I should allow for these 2 areas, keeping in mind we need to get down the west coast, and across the nullabour.

We want allow some time too, for the Eyre Peninsula. Not too concerned about east SA, as we have seen a lot of it, and will probably make the run to home once we hit Adelaide.

T & A
FollowupID: 629494

Follow Up By: dact - Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 22:51

Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 22:51
Oooh, and these crocs have me(mum) very concerned, with Miss 9 & Mr (know it all, I'm invincible) 14 in tow.

Are there plenty of campgrounds where you don't have the constant worry of them ??
FollowupID: 629495

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 10:07

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 10:07
Camp grounds in kakadu ???
Umm, the freeby at "Shady Camp" has a decent fence around it to keep the Crocks out, it's beside the river and is a HUGE area so stay down the back if you have any worries about them.
This fish come out of the river thereImage Could Not Be FoundMainey . . .
FollowupID: 629785

Reply By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 23:32

Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 23:32
It obviously depends on what you want to see and do.If you are pushed for time I would say about 3 -4 weeks in the Kimberly and one wek in Kakadu. I would add that if you are doing Kakadu I would certainly allow an extra 2-3 days for Litchfield.All the better if you have more time but those are the minimum times I would suggest if you haven't been before.
AnswerID: 361759

Reply By: Bushed-Tracker - Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 10:43

Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 10:43
You can spend the whole dry season in the Kimberley and not do it all. We spent five weeks on the GRR last year - magic
B-T
AnswerID: 361803

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 13:22

Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 13:22
G'day dact,

We spent 3months doing the Kimberley, Kakadu and the Simpson. To support what others have said I think that there is never enough time to see all at a leisurely pace so maybe work out what you want to do - like for us it was boating, sightseeing and fishing. The kimberley was our destination and all else was regarded a secondary objective because it can be really easy to become unfocused.

The Kakadu part came about because one of our party wanted to catch up with a relly in Darwin and we had about 4 days to kill. I would go back there tomorrow as we had a great time putting around the lagoons and billabongs fishing and dodging crocs.

BTW didn't have enough time in the Kimberley.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 361830

Reply By: Member - Min (NSW) - Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 17:16

Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 17:16
Terry & Amanda,

We enjoyed Kununurra and spent a week there
: paddled in the Ord River from the c'van pk at sunset each evening and just sat in the canoe enjoying a glass of wine as we watched the Jesus birds amongst the lily pads;
: drove to Wyndham by the highway and returned by Parrys Lagoons;
: took a day flight to Kalumburu, Drysdale R. Station, over Admiralty Gulf and Mitchell Falls;
: walked Mirima NP (in town)
: became fascinated by zebra rock and Aboriginal art.

Purnululu NP without the ct for a couple of days (not long enough).

Gibb RR, Kalumburu Rd as far as King Ed Riv, stayed for a few days swimming, paddling and finding Aboriginal art incl Bradshaws and Wandjinas. Left the ct there and drove to Mitchell Falls for a couple of days and took the chopper back to camp from the falls (great views).

Manning River Gorge walk from Mt Barnett RH. (Take lots of water and don't get lost.)

Mornington Nature Conservancy incl. Sir John Gorge, Diamond Gorge and Cadjeput. Spectacular, peaceful at the gorges.

Bell Gorge staying in a camp along the river (not Silent Grove).

Windjana Gorge NP and Tunnel Creek NP.

Geikie Gorge NP on a full day trip with Darngku Heritage Cruises.

These were some of the highlights but we have to go back soon because there was so much more to see. It took about five weeks. Thanks for asking the question it helped me relive it the trip.

We are planning our trip to Kakadu, Litchfield and Darwin to be there during all of June. I'm hoping we can see what we want by staying in four different camps. But being flexible is the key to all travel.
AnswerID: 361895

Follow Up By: Serendipity of Mandurah (WA) - Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 22:28

Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 22:28
Hi Min

I read you are planning on a trip to the top end in June. We lived up there for years and it is pretty dry and hard during the dry season. Go a bit earlier like May if you can. There will still be run off and lots of barra.

David

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 629736

Follow Up By: Member - Min (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 09:43

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 09:43
Hi David,
We originally planned to go in April-May but April would have been too early to get into some places and as our grandchildren are flying up to join us for a week or so we had to plan their visit to be either end of their school holidays. They are coming at the end of June but we will be there well before them and will stay on after they leave. I'm so looking forward to our time with them - they love camping and are interested in everything.

May in the Top End is definitely on the agenda for the future.

FollowupID: 629780

Reply By: dact - Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 23:01

Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 23:01
Thanks for all the replies.
Still confused on what sights to give priority to, and how long to allow, so we have blocked out 1 wk in Kakadu, 7-10 days in Darwin and 4 weeks in Kimberley, working our way across to Broome.

Now, we have to figure out the west coast...LOL

Miss 9 asked me tonight, why it takes a year to plan a trip we are not taking til mid next year.

Cheers and thanks again for the replies
Terry & Amanda

AnswerID: 361969

Follow Up By: Member - Min (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 09:53

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 09:53
Hi T&A,
I have posted my blog for Kimberley trip. It was in 2003 but I'm sure the sights haven't changed since then.
FollowupID: 629783

Sponsored Links